Are TFC transformers still sort after?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scooby.Smokescreen, May 29, 2007.

1. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

When I started my TFC collection, they seemed very sort after items. Prices were quite high for certain characters. Now the prices seemed to have dropped (going via UK Ebay) and nobody seems to be buying them.

Kind of annoying considering how much it cost me to collect all 21. I had intended to keep them but I may have to sell soon to fund house repairs. :( 

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear ya. I paid full price for all of the Hasbro reissues ($39.99 CDN) and they all went on clearance ($19.99 CDN). I was very angry that day.

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    some are still in demand like the minibots and insecticons, but demand for megatron has slipped due to tfc6 being released again. others were never in demand; you cant give tfc inferno away and kup isnt worth much.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    some stuff is still sought after like Prime, Soundwave, minibots, insectacons are the high hitter I would take it. It might be as with other lines..first they are normal prices that goes upp a bit. Then they go down and ppl buy and open them upp etc etc. Im sure in a few years they wont be very usuall on ebay. in fact I think the TFC will be harder and harder to get.

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    They're still sought after by me! I only have Megatron, Insecticons, Hound and Blitzwing. But I'd like to buy them for less than the local collectables shop has them for (£35 for ones like Kup, Prowl, Inferno - £45 for ones like Stepper, Minibots etc)

I got the re-re-re-issue of Megatron and it cost £40 off ebay.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Im pretty sure Soundwave and Soundblaster are still pretty sought-after. Same with Blitzwing, the Minibots and Prime. Stepper/Ricochet (whatever his name is) seems pretty in-demand aswell.

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

TFC Soundwave has been taking a bit of a beating on the secondary market recently. The TRU reissue has probably dragged prices down, and people may be waiting to see what the Renewal version will actually be.

Soundblaster is about the same as before it was never quite as 'hot' as Soundwave. After TFC Soundwave sold well, its quite possible that retailers ordered extra quantities. Stepper was never that hot - perhaps another example of retailers overestimating demand.

Realistically speaking, some toys are going to be reissued over and over and over again. The Mold(s) for Prime has been repaied multiple times at this point. With a fourth run comming up (fifth if you count Megaplex) Megatron's mold has probably been repaired at some point in the past, or will be soon.
    The seeker mold has been used and reused many times.

Molds aren't cheap to make. Odds are they're not cheap to repair either, so they're going to want a return on their investment, but they're going to play it safe on which items they invest in. Given the sales performance of the TFC line in it's later days (see Stepper and Kup) they're likely to play it safe it safe and stick to the better known characters.

So, the ones that will retain their value are those that are less likely to be reissued. The Minibots have become very sought after, the Insecticons are rather valueable as well. Any TFC items that made it to TRU/HTS are quite unlikely to see any real movement: S2 Cars, Astrotrain. Stepper/Ricochet.

8. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    generally demand for them boots up when a new one gets announced, which is why were in abit of a lull, but with the movie out i assume people will want more G1 and their value will go up

some have always been poor sellers though

smokescreen (never sold THAT well possibly cos it was paired with megs)
    inferno
    targetmaster hotrod
    hound (maybe cos the toy sucked)
    stepper

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Don't forget the anime Starscream. He's selling for quite the price now.

10. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think part of the problem is they haven't released any new characters in the TFC line since Blaster, which if memory serves, that was like around Feb of 2006, so its going on a year and half at this point. Prior to that they were releasing them more reqularly. So, I think there is a lull..but also Takara, from what I heard, had discontinued the line..maybe due to lagging sales of some of the later releases.

But in truth, I think its just a hit or miss. Some of the early releases in the series as mentioned before, like Skids, Smokescreen, Inferno, etc..have never sold that well anyway. I personally love the collection, I like the packaging, and they are all characters I remember from when I was kid, many of which I had, some I didn't.

At this point, I have all of them MISB with the exception of Soundblaster, simply b/c I dont care for the crazy prices I see of him, Kup/wheelie...just dont care for them, if I find one really cheap, like $25 dollars, maybe ill pick it up just for the hell of it..and I've have seen him broaching that range b/c there's a ton of em out there that nobody bought..and last but certaintly not least, the #0 Prime. And for that, I refuse to spend $300 on him, I havent checked recently but I know he was in that ballpark last few times I saw em on Ebay...Now, I preordered the Encore Prime from BBTS..so I'm sticking with that one.

I think at this point, the Encore line is basically taking the place of the TFC collection...granted we don't the packaging, how it compares, or to the degree what will be different about these molds from the TFC line. I'm assuming its the same toy, maybe another bonus feature in the package or something. To me, its all in the name of the series: "Encore"--a.ka. A final nod to the tfc collection, only this time we will release the tried and true characters"..lol -- That is until they release them yet again some time down the road for something else, but who knows for sure... Anyways, thats my two cents.
    Peace

11. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits: