Are TF toys priced too low for their own good? Paint apps n' such.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cheebs, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've been noticing a trend starting with Armada. Armada toys were brickish simple designs. With acceptable paint apps. Every series after Armada ramped up the design complexity. And the paint apps held... until the movie toys.

With the movie toys we have amazingly complex designs with moving parts and sculpting out the wazoo. We also have the first sign of severe no-no's like unpainted hubcaps.

The whole thing seems to have culminated in Universe Prowl and Ironhide. Both are creative and involved molds with almost zero paint, and the paint that is there is ugly at best. Not to mention Prowl's paint stays tacky.

Deluxe TFs have been $10 for a number of years. If anything inflation should have pushed that price up. Add in the mind-bending engineering they're trying to pull off and it seems like the well just ran dry for the paint.

What do you think? Time to raise the price?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    They'll be raising the price later this year. Personally I don't have a problem with any TF's amount of paint-apps. Universe Prowl, imo, has just the right amount of paint apps on him. Any more and he'd look a bit too busy, imo. As for the tackiness, it seems to have been a more limited issue, as I've heard of more of them not being tacky, than being tacky.

3. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Hasbro price hikes have already been announced for September. However, that certainly doesn't mean the paint quality's going to go up...

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Personally, I don't see any difference in the paint apps. There's about the same level as before. Unpainted hub caps? Big deal, I honestly don't look at the wheels. What paint is there looks great. Yes, there are some parts that lack paint - but the important bits all seem to be done.

Except for that one Minicon in Classics with the unpainted head. That I'll admit was a bit shocking.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I'm sick of the paint apps & I wouldn't mind paying a little more if that means I can actually play with my toy without it's paint coming off(Just bought Clone Commander Cody & not only did it have paint scratches but it also had Sticky Paint Syndrome) Whatever paint Hasbro's using on there figures they should change now. So far the toy's I've seen from Hasbro with SPS are:
    Animated Leader Megatron
    Animated Soundwave
    Universe Prowl
    Universe Silverstreak
    Crossovers Clone Commander Cody
    If anyone else can think of any otheres please let me know so I can aviod them/be cautious

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Thing is, if anyone feels the apps on a certain figure are lacking, I'm sure Hasbro know that people are capable of picking up a brush and sorting things to their own satisfaction. Why cost a figure higher by throwing on loads of apps when some people might be happy with how many there are already?
    Personally I miss stickers (yes, yes, I know: there's Reprolabels). Paint apps just don't hide screws anywhere near as well as stickers did. :p 

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I honestly don't see any problems with Prowl at all. He is a great all around and the paintjob is great.

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His wings/doors are really heat sensitive, just look at the doors on Sean Long's Silverstreak in his Ironhide review.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    So long as the toy doesn't look sloppy, I really couln't care less about paint apps, ESPECIALLY if it would up the price more than they are already supposed to be raising to. The only paint apps I'd add to prowl would be to paint the launchers gray. Otherwise I think it looks great. Police cruisers typically have very streamlined color schemes anyway. I don't have any issue with tacky paint on the clear plastic. Granted, I have the a/c going in my house but my collection room still gets fairly warm thanks to the window facing the setting sun. Still no issue.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont think the paint applications have suffered. universe prowl is a disaster, but that's still a lot of paint to put on a figure. and almost all of lockdown's legs are painted black, including the insides of the parts. they do not seem to be holding back.

11. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    well, i think the paint job on his doors dont even look good, but i havent had the sticky paint syndrome...yet. i hope i dont. the doors look ..i dunno, blurred? but its not sticky yet, i hope it stays like that...for me, everythign's been fine wth all the other animated/movie/universe figures i have, prowl's the only exception....so i really dont want the price hike lol

12. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Man, with the price hike deluxes are gonna cost us close to $30 apiece! Imagine how much the bigger figures are gonna cost..

13. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thats gonna SUCK!

14. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i don't want to jynx myself, but i've had NO problems with this so called sticky paint syndrome, and if you see a figure with scratched paint... simple, don't buy that one, wait for another to show up. that's what i did with animated starscream when i first saw him. I wanted him so damn bad, but the cockpit had a huge scratch going down the side of it, so i passed it up and went for bulkhead... a week later, i got starscream in perfect condition.

as for the price going up? are you serious? i work too damn hard for my money to worry about an unpainted hubcap - buy some freaking paints yourself and add your own details if you're so worried about it. don't go raising prices for all of us who are perfectly content with the toys we're getting. after all, that's what they are... toys.

15. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    They have already raised the price of TFs over here and what did we get? Universe Prowl with sticky paint, half-assed black paint that doesn't wrap around his alt mode and "Highway Patrol" wordings on his doors which have dried up and are cracking already.

Give us a break already! On the other hand it forces someone like me to take lil' step into the realms of customizing, have clear coated the sucker but some of the paint touch-up I've done are not gonna last long with my constant fiddling...

Grrr~

16. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Mine was like that when I first got him, managed to snatch the best looking one in TRU but a couple of days out of package, the paint starteed acting up. Could be the humid weather over here but with 99% of Prowl owners here facing the same prob I'd doubt so and play it safe - clear coat him before it gets ugly!

17. Whateverist

Whateverist Wallpaper

Deluxes sell for $28 already in Europe, Voyagers close to $50. It's doable... if you're very picky about what you buy.