Are TF Alernators really good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Leonhart621, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Leonhart621

Leonhart621 Need more money

I don't want to collect all of them. I'm just interested at the Viper types. Recently saw Sunstreaker at Target. Also interested getting Optimus Prime

Problem is I'm still missing some few Cybertron figures. I still need to get:

Excellion, Repugnus, SkyWarp, Sky Shadow, Cybertron Defense Team (Scattershot, Red Alert, Hot Shot), High Tail, Yellow Scrapmetal, Starscream

Don't plan to get:
    Optimus Prime (deluxe), GF Optimus Prime, GF Vector Prime, Galvatron, Dark Crumplezone, Override GTS, Brakedown GTS, Ransack GTS, Shadow minicon, Cyro Scourge

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the Alternators are the finest Transformers subline in the history of the franchise. Unfortunately, you picked a very odd time to come into it, as it is near death at this point. However, if you only want the vipers, then you have much less of a challenge.

The vipers robot modes arent the most impressive, but their vehicle modes are pretty good, in fact Dead End's is one of the very best (though he'll likely be the hardest one to get at this point).

Personally, I have very limited funds and so I decided to skip almost all of Cybertron just so I could afford to keep up with the Alternators, so I'm in the opposite boat of yourself.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sideswipe, Dead End and Sunstreaker are the Vipers. I don't believe they're one of the favorite molds among most people, but I like them a lot.

And to answer the question in the thread title... frustrations about product distribution and availability aside, I think (on the whole) most adult fans would agree that Alternators are just about the closest to 'perfect' that Transformers have ever gotten; and for under $20 apiece, no less.

4. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    The Alternators are the best Transformer line made other then G1 in my own opinion, but as Abrogate already stated the line is coming to a stand still. There's only 2 more reported to be released. The Vipers were down good but Dead End lacked that Decepticon look, or so i thought.

5. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    Viper molds are my personal fav. Sideswipe is pretty plentiful on Ebay at a cheap price. Dead End is probably the best looking of the mold and one of the harder ones to find.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If you like TFs for display, the Viper molds are great...gorgeous car modes, and decent 'bot modes...though they have pretty poor articulation compared to most of the others in the line (if you like to pose them and fiddle with them). Dead End is my favorite of the three as well, mainly just because I love the black, silver and red contrast

7. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Alternators are FANTASTIC. Every single time I brought one home, with one exception (Optimus Prime), it was my new favorite toy pretty much as soon as I opened it. Personally, I think it's a little odd that you singled out interest in what are generally regarded as the least-good (I can't bring myself to say "worst" when referring to Alts/BTs) molds. As far as display goes - the Vipers are extremely impressive in alt mode, though. My BT Dead End is... wow. That's 1:24 automotive beauty right there. I find the bot modes to be a little lacking though.

Mirage and Meister are two of the best ones out there - and both currently available. You might want to consider those. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. :)  If your heart is set on one of the Vipers, though... see if you can score a BT Dead End for a good price. The metal REALLY works well for that mold.

8. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Alternators is the best transformers line made to date and probably for some time to come.

9. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Alternators are my personal favorite transformers. They're all superlative...but you managed to pick what I think are clearly the tow worst molds...the Ram and the Viper. Prime has terrible QC, the Vipers...just don't work out well in robot mode.

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tracks and Meister are the best. Go and buy them.. muliples if you have the chance. ;) 

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

You just can't go wrong with alternators. They put every Cybertron mold to shame. You wont even want to buy anymore after you pick up an Alternator, even the vipers, which I like and don't think their bot modes are as bad as everyone makes them out to be at all.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I don't think the Viper ranks as low as Prime, they are more posable them him. Infact I think the Jeep Wranglers are worse then the Vipers.

13. Renidragon

It's no so much that they're bad... it's just that (well, aside from Prime, IMHO) they're the least awesome. But certainly far from bad. It's like comparing a 7/10 score to a 9/10 score. Still good, just not as good.

And to whoever suggested Tracks... also an awesome pick... I've got BT Tracks, I love 'em. Legs are a little tough to work with though... I feel like he might actually be better as an alt. I just haven't gotten myself to buy a second Tracks. ;) 

14. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

If God collected Transformers, they would be Alternators.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

if you really like the vipers, I have two sideswipes that I bought just for the heads. if you'd be interested in the rest of one, let me know.

16. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I have an extra MISB Dead End that I was contemplating to sell.

17. voltron2008

voltron2008 TFW2005 4 LIFE

The viper looks so damn nice. I only have prime and mirage so far but if I got another one, id get a viper one.

18. spyderbytez

spyderbytez ALTERNATOR FANATIC TFW2005 Supporter

If it were not for alternators.. i wouldnt be collecting transformers at this moment

19. Renidragon

Me too. I bought a Silverstreak after much hesitation and it was all over from there. I would have been alternators-only if I hadn't gotten an Energon Barricade for Easter that year. That was just the final nail in the coffin. :( 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i would actually recommend against buying the vipers if youre selective. with its poor hip articulation its somewhere in the bottom 3.