Customs: Are Shapeways products in danger?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all these recent lockdowns on Hasbro's IP and the closing of websites like KOToys do you guy think that eventually Hasbro will come at each of the talented people behind some of more ingenious shapeways project and ask them to cease and desist?

I've really been behind on getting something and I would really hate to see them go away? I put this here because most shapeways project are considered customs.

2. Hyre

Hyre Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    More than likely, the answer is no. KOToys can be shut down because it's actual remolds. Unless you steal a digital model from Hasbro(Which probably uses in-house software), anything you submit to Shapeways is going to be more than likely your own hard work. Now, if you're making stuff like Autobot/Decepticon EMBLEMS, that's...probably going to get Hasbro's currently baleful eye turned towards you, and they might have Shapeways toss your work then, because that is a form of copyright infringement.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But what if you sold those emblems at material cost, ie you're not making a profit using their IP? That's a way round it right? I know I love a good embossed faction symbol for my tfs.

4. Hyre

Hyre Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Someone(I.E. Shapeways) is making a profit off of an image that is copyright protected. You'd get away with it, more than likely, but given the sheer hate that Hasbro's had lately for anything not in-house...I don't know. Part of the problem is that Shapeways is in a country that is not the US. So perhaps they're exempt. But I figure sites like Reprolabels(Canada) are probably looking over their shoulders at the moment.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, it's not. Simply by actually using Hasbro's IP one is infringing upon it.

As far as this topic is concerned, if one is making products and Shapeways as the output source, just don't use anything associated with Hasbro's IP. Don't label it "Optimus Prime's Ax" or place any faction symbols on it, etc. Hasbro won't do anything regarding completely original products. If they just so happen to fit onto or interact with a Hasbro product, that's another thing entirely.

From what I've seen from these artists, they're doing a good job of respecting Hasbro's IP while continuing to make their own original, custom products.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Ain't nothing wrong with totally new or generic bots and weapons :) 

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And I think that's where things will be going.
    HASBRO clamps down... and eventually competition will be created.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

My feeling is that IF Hasbro drops the hammer on Shapeways, 3rd party companies, or any other type of outfit, that these groups will branch out and create their own brand of transforming robot. I think FansProject could do it since they have the best reputation.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    IMHO, Warbot Defender doesn't look like Springer at all... so they could start with that one right there.

10. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I can sleep more soundly tonight hahaha.

I understand protecting ones IP but I get fearful of hasbro getting the berserker bloodlust going on anything geared toward transformers that isn't made by them must die.

As a artist I am looking at it from the point of view as one like SQ7 said it may be a rifle held by jazz but call it the Maestro rifle.