are robots racist

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by brollicon, Jun 23, 2009.

1. brollicon

brollicon Well-Known Member

ok seen pic of skids today and when i went to target i saw the toy. i didn't realize but skids has a gold bucktooth and in the trailer he talks with broken english and tells sam i don't be reading much. isn't it 2009, hasn't hollywood found a formula yet that doesn't show characters of being quote black have negative characteristics. i know its just a movie but the from the film to the toy line it seems the character is just an ignorant aspect to black culture.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you seen the movie?

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm thinking it's more a matter of making fun of wannabes; ignorant white boys who try so hard to act black that they look like idiots.

4. Atlas Prime

Atlas Prime holdin up cybertron

o, i thought you meant like. hey, you your a freaking boat, but im a car

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

Damned Cybertronians; always trying to keep a Junkion down!

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yes. Everyone's opinion is true.

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Hollywood will stop putting stuff like this in movies when the people in the audience stop laughing at it. The twins and sam's mom get the best laughs in the theater despite being very low brow humor

2. It continues to amaze me that people see a gold tooth, illiteracy, and bad english and automatically assume that this is racist towards blacks! WTF! Honestly when I was watching the movie the only thing the Twins made me think of was Cletus from the Simpsons. If the things you saw made you think of black people maybe your the racist

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, they are.

[​IMG]

9. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    People are racist for linking that with other races.
    So....shame shame. D:<

10. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Well-Hated Member

News Credits:
    They aren`t black anyway. Skids is green, and mudflap is red..ish.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

12. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    ummm..... Jazz said in the first movie "waz crackin little bitches" and the voice was done by Eddie from family matters.. Darius McCrary a black guy.

what is the point of this thread anyway. why does everything end up over analyzed?

13. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Extreeeeeeemely doubtful. Bay would never make fun of himself. He takes himself quite seriously. Also, there aren't any similar stereotypes for white boys on display, so that entire argument is pretty much grasping at straws.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    THIS. I'm really wondering if this thought crossed the mind of ANY reviewer on RT.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

16. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Alanis Morissette, you'll find out what it really means someday. Just keep plugging away!

Let me explain it for you. These are all negative stereotypes of black people as propogated by racists. It's ridiculous to point the finger back at people who identify them as such. If they were eating watermelons, scarfing down fried chicken, and shucking and jiving...I'm not racist for thinking that these are negative black stereotypes...THESE ARE NEGATIVE BLACK STEREOTYPES. The question is more was Bay being thoughtless (YES!!) Or did he do it on purpose? (probably not.)

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

What? How is a wannabe gangsta an instance of Bay making fun of himself? We're talking about somebody like the character in Malibu's most wanted here. And besides, he did that commercial right after the first movie making fun of himself and his love of explosions. Oh, and what the hell kind of logic dictates that there has to be other instances of the same stereotype present in order for it to exist in the first place?

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, you. *dreamy sigh*

19. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

This is a trick question, right?

[​IMG]

Um...the regular kind? Plain logic, with no almonds? Look, all of the people who make the claim that the characters are black stereotypes have plenty of evidence to back them up. When somebody says they're actually white "wannabe" stereotypes, I would ask that person to supply evidence of white stereotypes that these characters epitomize. If they're so clearly white boys pretending to be black, show me evidence that they behave white.

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd call it faulty logic (with or without the almonds); why does there have to be more than one of the same stereotype there for it to exist??

And you have a pic of Bay with some gold chains and a feather boa (or whatever); I have a picture of me in a hoodie and shades trying to look like a rapper but I sure as hell don't dress (or act) like that all the time; what proof do you have that Bay does? What proof do you have that this is anything more than him being silly at some Hollywood party? Most other pictures of him he's wearing stuff I wouldn't even remotely classify as being wannabe gangsta. Besides, even if he did, he has shown that he has no problem making fun of himself (again, the cell phone commercial).
    If it was eating watermelon and fried chicken, like you said, that would be one thing, but their speech patterns and having a gold tooth are examples of them trying to look like rappers (and falling short).
    An example of this (which I already posted, but you ignored) would be the character in Malibu's most wanted. Thats right, it's a common enough stereotype that they have made movies for the sole purpose of parodying it! Imagine that!