Are Predacons, Decepticons? Do They Need To Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Mar 18, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny thought
    1.)*DiD* Predacons come from Decepticons? Was that actually mentioned in the show?
    If so...kind of a shame. I think about it. It seems a little odd that the 'bad guy' always has to come from the Megatron or relation to Megatron.

2.) Out of a whole race. Why is it always a Megatron who wants power. And is willing to over throw anyone to do it?

3.) Could the Predacons have started from some other non-Decepticon leader? (I know we fans want it to be RazorClaw, but if it is...does it need to be?)

4.) Example of non-power hungry villain:
    Beast Machines could have started a whole new war:
    I don't know what trans-tech was going to be, but we could have had a show where; Some autobots and maxiamls could have been really upset about the who organic thing, and try and reverse it. And some Decepticons/Predacons could find them-self on the good guys side trying to defend it.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:

I don't believe it was ever discussed in the show but in the comics they are at least in Part Former Decepticons : Predacon (BW) - Transformers Wiki ] Just as the maximals are at least in part former Autobots.

As for Megatron, he has been established as the de facto head bad guy in Transformers just as Optimus Prime/Primal is the head good guy ( with the notable exception of Animated). For Beast Wars/Machines in particular that Megatron was inspired by G1 Megatron and took his name as his own after reading the Covenant of Primus, its also possible G1 Megatron took his name from the same source.

3. Its really not known who the founder is, Razor claw is as good of a candidate as any.

4. not out the question and there was at one time a comic in the comic's section called Obsidian's Lament which is much like your idea.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    1.it is flat out clearly stated that the predacons are decendants of the decepticons. Megatron is a being who took it upon himself to "liberate" the predacons from maximal rule and bring glory back to the predacons.

2. that is how it came to be, and in fact, beast wars megatron is a much better character than g1 megatron

3. i think the botcon 2006 comic made the connection between the g1 and beast wars predacons

4. trantech was just a continuation of beast machines, i don't know the exact story for it though

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Yes, it was explicitly mentioned several times in the series and other materials.

The Predacons didn't come from Megatron though, he wasn't their leader, even in the "present" of the BW universe, Megatron was a minor player.

The Tri-Predacus council had plans to take over from the Maximals, but were playing a long game. BW Megatron took his name from the Covenant of Primus - Transformers Wiki as part of a self-aggrandizing move.

The likelyhood of the Predacons being started by someone who wasn't an "Emperor of Destruction" is quite high. There have been several divergent groups who called themselves Predacon (disambiguation) - Transformers Wiki

Transtech was going a continuation of BM with a return to vehicle mode alt forms. Beyond that not much is known.

5. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

All this transtech talk reminds me of that awesome Starscream prototype that used to be floating around.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oddly the intial premiere of predacons in G1 cartoon continuity was as a creation of the quints.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Beast Wars Megatron "NAMED HIMSELF" after G1 Megs.

What his real name may have been was never revealed.
    Actually that was never made clear, only implied.

8. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

It is out of the subject but you know what would be really cool? In the episode of Beast Machines when Primal and Nightscream they went to Iacon, it would been awsome if atleast one or two original Autobots came out of Iacon base like Sunstreaker and Cliffjumper in their old wrecked bodies and having the thoughts that Iacon is being invaded and starting an attack on Primal and Nightscream lol

9. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Tarantulus stated at one point that he and the Tripredicus council were not decended from the Decepticons, therefore he was not worried about what happened to the Ark or it's occupants.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^

Yeah, isn't he a descent of Unicron? I think he said that during season 3 but I could be wrong.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

If I'm right that was implied at least twice, but never definitively stated.

12. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    The unicorn part was implied but the not descended from decepticons was clearly stated.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yeah, I was just talking about the "Unicron" part, I should have been clearer.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    They were supposed to be from the G2 Decepticons, hence what happens to the Ark makes no difference to their timeline. Fans often misinterpret Megatrons curse of "Spawn of Unicron" as that they are actually from Unicron, rather then the original intent, which was that it was an insult, like calling someone Son of a Bitch.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Has that "intent" been confirmed by the shows writers/creators?

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I believe it has... not that I can post a link or anything, but I am relying on my own memory from when the show was current and relevant.

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The 3H comics took it literally, however, and did present Tarantulas as an actual servant of Unicron.

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Weren't the 3H books written with the intent to be part of the shows continuity?

19. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Don't the 3H comics contradict the IDW comics?

Personally, I consider them both to be alternate possible futures/extensions of the BW core story.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The exact origin of the Predacons is never really dealt with in detail, and due to the backstory of Beast Wars being contributed by seperate authors, retconned, and so on, it's hard to come to a definitive stance on how they came to be.

The only constant is that the Tripredacus Council is one of the biggest political bodies in the faction, and they have a plan to fight back against the Maximals, but it's a subtle, slow-building one, and more reactionary folks like Megatron prefer immediate action and take it into their own hands.

Are the Predacons descended from the G1 Predaking Predacons? In some continuities, definitely, yes!

Simon Furman's explanation for how the Predacons came to be is explained in his story Alignment, but that story is sadly not canon because Hasbro hasn't authorized its publication so far. His story goes that when the Liege Maximo made his big play at the end of G2, it resulted in the end of the Great War, but it also resulted in a lot of the major players, like Galvatron and Grimlock, dying. This meant the Decepticons were leaderless, and some of their members (which may have been the Tripredacus Council) agreed to surrender to the Autobots while secretly plotting how they could make a comeback in the future.

The nature of Tarantulas and the Tripredacus Council is another one that is open to interpretation. Bob Forward said his intention was that they were descended from the Liege Maximo's faction (the same one Jhiaxus came from). But he later helped write the comics that solidified Tarantulas as a Unicronian, so I guess he changed his mind. Either that or he just decided to give fans what they wanted to hear.

The nature of the Predacon government is also somewhat in question. The Tripredacus Council is the only consistently referenced political power in the faction, but there were a few references in the show and other media to there being multiple factions, the Tripedacus merely being the most influential one (and the one Megatron directly disagrees with). A Japanese guidebook referred to some of the other factions as the G1 Predacons, the Star Conclave, and the Galaticon Order.

Speaking of the Japanese, while their faction doesn't directly affect the American cartoon, they have their own set of continuity woes. When BWII/BWNeo were on the air, there was no indication that they were taking place at any other time than concurrently/directly after Beast Wars. But later sources have said that those series takes place thousands of years in the future (which explains why the events of BWNeo aren't affected by the events of Beast Machines, and how BWII is able to take place on an Earth that seemingly has no human civilization).

Lastly, Megatron. He did not name himself after G1 Megatron, per se. He named himself after a prophetic entity that the Covenant of Primus called Megatron; ergo, by calling himself Megatron, he purported to BE the entity from the prophecy, thus fulfilling it himself. It was implied that he named himself after G1 Megatron to live up to his glory (but BW Megatron wants to surpass G1, not live up to him), and some might interpret the Covenant's text as referring to G1 Megatron, but this is not explicitly stated. And, thanks to the retconing of the First Thirteen stating that The Fallen's name is Megatronus Prime and that's who G1 Megatron named himself after, it's -possible- that the Covenant of Primus is referring to The Fallen, and thus both G1 and BW Megatrons named themselves after him, not each other.

You're both right. TF Media is typically setup in a way that anything Hasbro allows to be published is canon, and these external sources are often intended to fill in gaps of the primary media, but in so doing, they usually contradict it. As such, everything in TF Media does officially happen, but it happens in a slightly alternate universe rather than in a fluid continuity. This is why Fun Publications created the idea of "Universal Streams" for their Transtech stories.