Are people smoking something when paying these prices for Shadow Scyther?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So for fun, I was looking at finished auction on ebay for Shadow Scyther and I came across these two auctions:

FANSPROJECT SHADOW SCYTHER & HENKEI WILDRIDER MOSC - eBay (item 160534449820 end time Jan-19-11 07:26:51 PST)

Fansproject Nemesis Shadow Scyther Rodimus Wildrider - eBay (item 270687616103 end time Jan-18-11 08:07:35 PST)

I mean, I know these figures look nice and all, but this is straight up ******ed. $1100 plus shipping for this? WTF? Are people laundering money through ebay with these things or something. That is ridiculous.

2. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    not as bad as paying 5k for a incomplete g2 motormaster

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, but how many times does that happen. This sold twice at $1,100!

4. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't get the crazed interest in stuff like Fansproject and Crazydevy. Basically 2 companies that sell KO's or added parts for Transformers at ridiculous prices and people line up to pay them. They are KO's as far as I am concerned.

Now I did buy a couple of iGear pieces but this stuff seems incredibly almost stupidly overpriced and people are chompin at the bit to buy them.

$1100 gets you a couple AFA G1 Transformers most likely lol

5. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    $1100 pays my mortgage for a month

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Subjective value. If I had 1.1k lying around, I'd sooner go for that set than AFA G1's, which do nothing for me.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you're saying because you bought a couple kos from igear, that every other companies products are kos? :lolol 

crazydevy's prices are ridiculous, $40 for a one piece plastic sword? ok then

but FP puts out parts for $12 in some cases, and up to $90 in price for a whole lot of parts, joints, etc. not in the same league as cd for prices at all.

as far as 1100 for a shadow scyther and wildrider? that's just craziness, i'd wait for kos of both figures before paying that, i can get a complete fort max and keep some money for myself instead.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ultimately, people are free to waste their money how they see fit. While I would never pay those prices for a toy, I don't find it weird that some people do, I just figure they are way more die hard collectors than myself.

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a matter of personal preference really. I mean, lets be honest.....what is Shadow Scyther? It is a nice F@*!ing piece of plastic. What is Fort Max? It is also a awesome F@*!ing piece of plastic, only much larger and older.

I myself also think people are silly in paying these prices for Shadow Scyther, but to be fair, who am I to judge??? It's a hobby and if thats what someone wants to spend, then so be it. If I had an extra $1100 laying around I would buy a lot of G1 Headmasters or Targetmasters, but thats just me:crazy: 

10. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Man thats alot of money but geesh I wished those people would waste their money on me instead of repainted rodimus

11. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

If it isn't Hasbro or Takara or company licensed to make Transformers then it's a KO or just a robot part but not a Transformer. If they have the license then no they aren't a KO.

Fansproject might be a little more reasonable but still a rip off. You pay more for the parts then you do for the robot they go on in most cases. That is crazy.

12. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

ko or whatever, a few of these 3rd party companies put out some really nice unlicensed pieces.

i don't care who they come from, if they look good (important) and I can afford it (more important) then i'll buy it.

i still haven't broken the $50 barrier on a transformer toy...don't really plan to anytime soon either (unless perfect effect makes a really bad assed soundwave....i'd go close to $100 for that)....

13. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:

A knock off is an exact replica or modified version of a toy that's origin lies in some mold another company makes. Igear is guilty of this. Fansproject and other companies are not KOs, they are unlicensed add on kits or full figures. There was no original base toy that were replicated on their products. Sure, the dementions of Classics Ultra Magnus needed to be analyzed for the City Commander kit to attach as nice as it doesn't, but there wasn't an original armor that was copied and it was scratch built.

Also, I don't think you know how manufacturing works. Most Unlicensed companies prices are somewhat decent (Read: Not Crazy Devy) considering their quality and production size.

As for this, it saddens me that people bought up Shadow Scythe just to make a quick buck while people who wanted it for their collection are either forced to pay their stupid prices or go without one. It's just plain old scalping, and no collector likes it. Shame it happens though, as these auctions set an example for what is to come.

14. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Wait how is this a KO??? I dont think that anyone is arguing that this is an actual transformer, its just an accessory. in this case a VERY limited accessory, but hey FP let that be known from the get go.

Personally, I had no idea how limited this was going to be. I saw something online I thought was unique and I bought it, at retail (and I dont even have a black rodimus). Dont get me wrong, Im glad I have such a "rare" piece, but there is no way i'd pay 1100 or even 400 for it

15. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This 100%. I can't get over the fact that some people don't understand the difference

And yes those prices are insane. But Shadow Scythe is pretty damn awesome. I can't justify that spending but I can sympathize

16. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its frustrating how ppl continue to be ignorant of the differences..... a toy that transforms isnt a KO just cause its not a Has/Tak. obviously most of the 3rd party stuff we like are homages to gen 1 transformers but not actual KO's sice they are new sculpts..... the differences are slight but they are there.

I missed Shadow Scyther at pre-order cost but as much as i like the fig i could never justify these prices.... infact if i did get a set at pre-order i would probably have to try and sell it looking at the prices its going for now. i mean how could you resist that much free money?

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Accountability should be noted. If you think the companies or sellers aren't seeing these prices your fooling yourself. as a result the mentality becomes "Well if they are willing to pay this then raising the prices a few dollars won't bother our sales except to make even bigger profits" so yes people are free to do what they want but there are consequences for the rest of us.

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Some Famous Words were once spoken by PT Barnum of "There's a sucker born every minute",if these idiots wanna pay $1100 for a piece of plastic by all means let them,but for what they pay I could get probably 85 or 90 Deluxe Figures from Wally World.

19. VitaminZinc

VitaminZinc Bad and Evil

And what's sad is the price of this thing is only going to go up. The Superion kit was kind of ho-hum boring to me, and now it's going for around $100+. Shadow Scyther just came out and averages around $350 for just the add-on. In a few months, I wouldn't doubt if we see it going for closer to $500+ by itself once all the initial extra stock that people bought sells out.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Putting the whole 'it's a KO/it's not a KO' argument to the side for one minute...

Basically, the value of any given item is the amount someone is prepared to pay for it. If I can afford that, then great, I might consider it. If I can't, then I won't buy it. I'm not going to judge someone for being able to afford the going rate for a product they want. In fact, good for them!

The value of a figure is all relative. Some people would say $1200 is too much to pay for a Botcon Megatron, or $150 for TFCC Punch/Counterpunch (for example) but the people who paid that much for theirs obviously didn't think so.