Are Ms. Marvel comics recommendable?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Brave Magnus, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Hello, everyone! Good morning. ^^ I dont know about you guys but here its 8:31am so it is morning. ^^
    So, the reason why I write this topic is because I am reading MArvel comics now and I want to step out from the classics characters: I been reading Spiderman comics for years and lately I bought a couple of Captain America's and a few of The Avengers. Might pick up some of Ironman this weekend. Oh, before you think "You are getting comics because of The Avengers movie, right? ^^" I have to say ...No. XD I tried reading Hulk and Thor's comics in the past but nah, they just dont do it for me. ^^'
    Anyway, I picked Ms. Marvel as the next character I wanna know and thats why I come here. I wanna know if I will spend my money well on her comics or I will just save the cash for something else. Also if there is an story arc you can recommend for me to start with. I mean, I retook Spiderman with the Spider-Island story and from there I went backwards and I am not regreting at all. XD
    So, you think you can give me a hand? Thank you! ^^

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've been getting her Vol 2 run from ComiXology (which leads into Civil War) and its been a very enjoyable read. My only hiccup was that she seems less powerful than I thought she was.

3. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    If I like super-super powered humans I will read Superman and the man bores me. XD The only comics I own of Superman is "Death Of Superman" and that's it. I never liked the character anyway, he has things to easy. :S
    Anyway, back on topic. Ms. Marvel Vol 2 - Marvel Comics Database -You mean this? Yay! these are available in local comic stores! :D  Just loose issues though, I would like to find ..how you call it Trade Books? Trade Paper books? So lost in terms. ^^' I do like the art in the previews of these. ^^
    Thanks!

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well I have the luxury of a tablet and buy the issues individually with no need to store anything.

But yeah, a couple of the Trade Paper Backs would serve you well if you can find them.

5. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Well, so far I found loose issues, no TPBs. And thank you for teaching me how its spelled. ^^
    Now that I think about it, you mentioned reading Vol.2, do I need to get vol. 1 as well?

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Brian Reed had pretty good characterization going on and knew how to give Carol a voice, but the actual stories and adventures were pretty convoluted during the run. It doesn't get much better as the issues roll on to the 50th and final ish, but the book isn't exactly bad so things don't get much worse either. If you really want nice eye candy I'd suggest picking up the later half of the series because Sana Takeda becomes the regular artist by that point. The interiors are absolutely amazing.

And I have to get on my soapbox for a second and complain about the first thirty or so covers by Greg Horn. YUCK.

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed on Sana Takeda art. Man, that was gorgeous.

Carol is my favorite superhero in comics, but she hasn't seemed to have much characterization in the past few years from what I can find. I have very high hopes for her new series, Captain Marvel.

Most recent comics featuring her are just Avengers comics where she's helping the team fight some villain. I can't remember the last time she (or anyone else) was depicted in street clothes just doing normal everyday stuff.

8. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments, guys! You rock! ;) 
    Well, I went shopping for Ms. Marvel comics today and I did found TPBs in a local store. Just one lil thing...THEY DIDNT HAVE THE FIRST VOLUME!!!! XD

paninicomics.es - Titulos Coleccion

I found these editions from Editorial Panini -its from Spain- and they were all available except for the first book. :S Sorta left me with a bad mouth taste because I really wanted to start reading these from the very beginning. And the guy attending the store had no idea when new ones will enter. T.T
    I guess i can start reading from the Civil War incidents and wait til the first book shows up in stock again. And now that I see that list I have to say that they have more books than the one showed in that page. ;) 
    The prices are good, around..let me do the math....18 dollars. Not a bad deal for a book containing 4 stories. ^^
    So..if I follow Shimabura's advice and pick..let see....from issues 20 ahead, I will get better art and stories? Those are available. So..might pick them on Monday. Really looking forward to my first Ms Marvel purchase. :D