are macbooks any good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I was thinking about getting a laptop and I was wondering if macbooks are worth any of the hype that everyone seems to have about them.

2. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

It depends on what you will use it for.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Unequivocally yes. The only complaint I've had with ours (I don't know if they've changed this) is that the track pad doesn't have a right mouse button or vertical scroll. You can compensate by setting it to register a two-finger tap as a right-click and dragging two fingers along the pad to scroll.

Also, the new OS X (Leopard) comes with Boot Camp, so you can install XP (or Vista, if you're a masochist) to play games on or what-have-you. A computer magazine ran benchmarks and found that a MacBook running Vista was faster than any other computer manufacturer that they tested.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I love mine. For me, it makes using a computer a pleasant experience, something I could never say about Windows.

If you're in the market for a new computer anyway, I think Boot Camp makes the Macbook an excellent choice. You can get the advantages of OS X and still stay chained to any Windows apps you just can't bring yourself to get rid of. It has been my experience, though, that I don't find myself booting into Windows nearly as often as I expected to. Still, it's nice to have the option.

Do try to get your hands on one first though, to see how you like it. It's not terribly difficult to migrate over, but always try before you buy.

5. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

QFT. If there's an Apple Store near you, check it out. You can fiddle with the computers, ask questions, etc.

6. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    get a dell

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you ever plan on making music, macbook = THE way to go. Garageband is excellent for entry-level musicmaking IMO.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    They look pretty good, if I were ever in the market for a laptop I would give them a hard looking at. Though for the price I would get one that's going to last you a loooong time.

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are pretty expensive but soooooo worth it. I got a 15" Pro and it is fantastic, I use Adobe CS3 Master Suite on a daily basis and it cannot be matched using a Windows computer IMO. All the functionality is great too, very easy to get the hang of everything like shortcuts and stuff. Also I don't know about everyone else but I really don't miss the right button. Dude just get it, you wont regret it.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Actually, I've been thinking about a MacBook too. Anybody got any suggestions when buying them though? aka, the MacBook vs the Macbook Pro? What are the differences between those two? Do they have a mouse with 2 buttons or am I going to have to buy a USB one?

My neighbor had a Pro several years ago. Piece of crap crashed constantly and he had to reinstall the OS at least 3 times from what I saw. But now they have completely different parts (I think) so I would think that things would be better.

Also, no way in hell Im using the Apple OS (at least exclusively), if I get one of these things, first thing that goes into the optical drive is going to be a Windows Vista install DVD. And then maybe an Ubuntu CD...

Also, is it possible to triple boot these things with whatever the Apple OS is, along with Vista and a flavor of Linux? I hear of people dual booting all the time, but I never hear of any triple boots.

11. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I bought my 17" MacBook Pro earlier this year and never had any problems whatsoever with it.

12. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I would definitely get a macbook if I were in the laptop market. I've used my girlfriend's and it's great. I still can't get over how fast it boots.
    If you're going to put Windows on there ,you might as well *upgrade* it to XP. Vista is full of fail. :p 

I question putting a Linux distro on there too. Unless you're really gung ho about Linux, it's not needed so much since you have the shell on a Mac, and just about every other app has either a Windows or Mac equivalent. There's also virtualization, like VMWare.

BTW Mac users, check this link out for some free software. My mac-user friends swear by it.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i would so use a macbook except half my work, being CAD, has PC as the status quo.

14. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Haven't tried the Macbook pro on intel chip, had the G4 Powerbook before getting the new intel Macbook, the Powerbook just seem snappier, even though it had a less powerful chip, but now that I upgraded the memory on the Macbook, it's performing better. Bottom line, 1 Gig standard ram and Leopard do not mix, the new Macbook supports up to 4 gigs of ram, so by all means upgrade, just don't get the ram from Apple, they charge ridiculous price for memory.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I use Vista daily and I am here to report that it is in fact full of win. I don't know what everyone else is running, but even my 4 year old computer has been running it excellently since the second beta. People must have really really bad drivers or something, because so far Vista has been fantastic for me.

And yes. I'm gung ho on my Linux.

16. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Ram makes all the difference, I am running 4gigs on Tiger and it is fast as hell. Even XP is faster than any other computer I have ever owned(HP & Alienware). All win over here.

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a MacBook Pro and it is something I use everyday for hours, it runs like a champ.

It all depends on what you are using the laptop for. If you need a desktop replacement then by all means try to set your aim for the Pro line. But in most cases I would assume a MacBook would fit the bill just fine. The laptops do not come with Mice there is just a trackpad and one button, but I got pretty used to having one button rather quickly, some others may and some may not. If you need or want a mouse Apple makes a scroll mouse called the Mighty Mouse which emulates right click via touch sensitive areas, but I would avoid the mouse at all costs as it is a huge pile of dump. Look at the Logitech mice if you want to add a mouse to your system. You can use USB or Bluetooth Mice (if you get your laptop with Bluetooth built in) just like you can on a PC. I run a Logitech wireless MX mouse on my iMac that I simply love.

Also keep in mind there are third party software solutions to run Windows on Mac OSX so don't feel restricted to just using Boot Camp. Parallels and Fusion VM Ware will both run Windows WITHIN OSX which means you do not have to restart to switch into the other OS. You may think this would bog down performance but in most instances it you wont notice any performance issues. I would recommend if you want to go this route to try sticking to the MacBook Pro as it could handle a bit more performance-wise.

If you have an Apple store near you I would definitely recommend heading into the store and playing with both the MacBook and MacBook Pro before making any decisions.

18. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    a guy installing cable for me was having troubles with gateway... he's going to buy
    a dell anything goes wrong you call them they send a guy, he boxes up
    your computer while you fill out a form... others can't do that

19. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    they are nice but pricy. I think the Imac is the best price/power you get from Apple right now. The laptops are pretty nice though.

20. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a problem with my old G4 ibook, I called and within 2 hours dhl brought me a shipping package made for a laptop and took it for me. Got it back 2 days later with a brand new logic board. That my friend is 1st class service.