Are large scale toys dying?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Jul 2, 2012.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

As if shrinking the toys wasn't enough, I feel that there are less and less large scale toys with each new release.

ROTF/HFTD and Animated had a lot of Voyagers and Leader class releases. But with DOTM, we didn't even get Leader Optimus or Leader Megatron. The largest Optimus we got was the Ultimate version and that wasn't even the largest Optimus. With FOC, the only Voyager release that we know about is Soundwave and everyone else is a Deluxe. Even Masterpiece releases are getting downgraded. Heck, the Cyberverse figures are getting even better than the larger ones!

Good thing that Prime is getting a multitude of Voyager class figures, but no Leaders yet, and I'm not counting the Weaponizers.

Toys are shrinking, and the large ones tend to be crap and way inferior to the smaller ones! Even I think I might switch to collecting Legends/Cyberverse.

2. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the inverse, Kreo is picking up the pace in the size department.

3. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    Why?

4. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Because they aren't worthy of the title. When I think of Leader class, I think of high quality, complexity, and screen accuracy.The Optimus and Bee Weponizers are not even close to that quality.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    My sentiments exactly.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Except they're not leader class figures. They cost around 30-35 USD. If anything, they're closer to ultras.

Hasbro is more focusing on base\large playset figures than stand alone bots. Every cyberverse commander is built to interact with the larger bases [drill\ship\maximus stuff].

If anything, with the upcoming one or two waves, there's more voyagers now than before. Voyagers and deluxes are nearly toe to toe wave wise, we're off to wave 06 of deluxes [the repeat wave with just rumble or nobody as a new figures, just new cards] and voyagers are nearing\get to wave 04 and that's before even breakdown comes into play.

7. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When Tomy is not in the picture,Takara is always producing large scale toys,those are the days.

8. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Fact of the matter is, retailers and customers in general aren't likely to buy large toys, especially in today's economy and plastic prices. We'll see em once in a while, but the era of Fortress Maximus and GI Joe large scale bases and vehicles occupying the toy aisles are long gone.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Something like HFTD Starscream would probably be marked up to $50-$60 if it were put out today. Sure Hasbro could do it, but they'll make more money putting another Optimus Prime helmet in that spot and selling a bunch of them at $25 rather than that Starscream sitting there for six weeks before selling one at $55.

Just look at all the role-play stuff in the aisles. Hammers, shields and hand blasters are what are selling, not the giant action figures.

I agree the leader class is dead, for all intents and purposes. I'll have to hang onto the ones I have as relics of a better time.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Agreed, it doesn't help that recent leader classes don't make sense i.e. Bumblebee. I do think Hasbro's recent focus on cutting down casts to a limited number doesn't really help them sell a lot of toys. Parents for one wouldn't really want to buy their kids two figures that are just barely different, or in some cases just bigger or smaller versions of the same guy. In addition, kids are less likely to buy toys they don't see onscreen. The days of G1 and even the Unicron Trilogy enabled them to bring out a lot of different toys, and many size classes made sense.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved the Unicron Trilogy... Where the BIG figures didn't have to be Prime and Bumblebee...

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Movie line really changed the dynamics of TF toys. We just got variant after variant of Bumblebee, Starscreams and Prime afterwards, in every size class.

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    This is where my frustration comes in. I think we all understand that certain characters sell better than others, but that only goes so far. Which goes to your point of how many Bumblebee/Prime/etc toys does a kid need? Even during the days of G1 I remember my mother saying "don't you already have that one?" At least back then I could honestly say no. If I were a kid today I'd have to say "yes, but this one's in black/grey/purple/etc"

I think Foster's onto something with the role play toys. I haven't really paid a great attention to it lately, but if kid's interests are shifting towards role play toys, instead of action figures. that would certainly explain a few things.

If/when the economy improves, we'll no doubt see the return of leader class figures on the calibur of Cyb Prime/Megatron or perhaps even ROTF Prime. In the mean time we'll just have to accept the fact that smaller toys are here to stay and hope that Hasbro will continue to push the envelope in design and complexity, so that when the times are better, the new generation of leader class figures will make those we remember fondly today, look like G1 Broadside.

14. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Hopefully we get the reissue of Fort Max and this debate can end quick.

15. GAUGE

GAUGE Tin Foil Hats = Alternative Facts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    poor shitty economy and super high cost to produce toys not to mention inflation.

16. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Even if Fort Max gets re-issued, the issue is still present. One large toy getting re-issued doesn't mean large toys aren't dying. Any kid who grew up in the 80s can attest to the huge difference in the toys available then and now, particularly with Transformers and GI Joe.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Your wrong. Hasbro has a rule about leader type figures. No more than 3 per line, if any at all. Look at the last 7 toylines that had leaders (Energon to DOTM excluding CHUG as they had no leaders). Each line had 2 or 3 new leader molds. And some repaints thereof. No more. DOTM had it's 3 leaders. Just neither were Prime or Megatron. As for Generations phase II. They've only shown 1 so far as the others might be classics or just too early to reveal. As for weaponizers they are the simple gimmicky giant kid friendly figures like Ultimate Bumblebee, Battle ops BB, and Rollout command Optimus Prime. Just smaller as those giant ass figures never sold very well.

The chicken little mentality among some is frightening some times.

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Hasbro and takara killed the big figures. There were to many waist figures that made no sense. Ultimate bee, battle ops bee, dotm leader bee, ultimate Optimus prime. Those spots could have went to a big character like blackout, megatron, shockwave, and the fallen. Due to poor sales and economy they don't want to lose money.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    We're talking about new toy production for regular mainline mass release. Even as reissues go, we haven't even seen any of those outside of Japan since what, SDCC Blaster in 2010? The BBTS online-only Piranacon set in 2010? And they would never move in mass numbers at brick & mortar for what retailers would charge today.

Fort Max is a totally different animal, and even the KO makers won't touch him because the profits aren't there to justify the production cost.

20. Star Saber

News Credits:
    You're right, Hasbro doesn't want to lose money, and villains don't sell well. I think it would do them some good if they expanded their cast and made bigger good guys.