Are Jetstorm and Jefire really the first autobots to fly?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by NGW, Feb 4, 2009.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    What exactly are they going off of on this? Because, with Omega Supreme's alt mode being a ship, technically wouldn't that be a flying autobot? Or what about Prowl, didn't he fly in I think the third episode of season 1? And same thing, can't Swoop fly?

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    First jet autobots, not necessarily first to fly, in my opinion.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, I think they're the first two "normal" Autobots to fly. Omega is a huge ship-bot, Prowl can't actually fly (he can boost around, but not actually "fly"), and Swoop is an Earth-born bot. And as Shin Densetsu has pointed out, they are the first Autobots to have jet alt-modes. While I think that most Autobots back during the Great War couldn't fly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a decent amount of them that could. Omega and the other Sentinels were probably the majority of them, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were some smaller bots that could fly.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prowl and Omega Supreme use jet-packs to fly and Swoop doesn't count considering that he's a mix of cybertronian and flying earthly technology.

Only Jetstorm and Jetfire can fly like Decepticons, as in, the can freaking float and fly Dragon Ball style.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i wonder what Dai Atlas will look like then, if he never had a jet mode

6. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Apparently they are. I guess thats why the jet designs look like lying cars then actual jets, since autobots have never had to design a jet.

As for Omega, He's a space ship. I wouldn't put it in the same class of "flying." And only the earth bots know about swoop.

Maybe there just the first flying autobots to public bot knowledge. After all bumblebee and bulkhead didn't know that omega was more then a ship.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Dai Atlas could fly in jet mode, but not robot mode. He needed to ride on top of Sonic Bomber to fight in the air. Until now, I don't believe any Autobot has ever had the ability to fly in robot mode without a jet pack.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Swoop can fly because he was originally designed by Megatron as a protoype possible drone unit. It would make sense that Megatron would put Decepticon flight technology in at least one of the designs that ended up being the Dinobots.
    As for Autobots not having flight technology, it just doesn't make sense to me. They're machine beings that can obviously build ships that can fly. It's not some massive leap to transfer that spaceship technology to a Transformer. They managed to add ground vehicle engines and forms fine enough so really it's not a leap of the imagination to do the same with jet forms. Animated makes out it's some huge technological leap, but I just don't see it.

9. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

If they can float around like in DB and fuse then I wonder if they do the fusion to form Safeguard.

*on topic*
    I would say no they are not the first to fly, after all they had the war so alot of autobots we do not know who may have died in battle that could fly.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Yeah I dunno...I'm hoping they touch a bit more on this in the series.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What the war got anything to do with the matter?

If you mean that Autobots would have to fly to go against the Decepticons in the air, they could just use their jetpacks.

12. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

I mean during the war im sure some autobots could fly, I mean recal the first few ep of G1 all autobots could fly, so i guess some could fly and some needed jet packs

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    They are the first of their kind because they are Autobots designed after Decepticon technology. The fact they have jet altmodes and can probably fly in robot mode is a drastic step for the "Check out my foam stick weapon!" Autobots.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Symmetrical Docking > Fusion Dance
    [​IMG]

15. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Gotta go with the majority and say they're probably the first Autobots that are capable of sustained flying in the same manner as the Decepticons, as in without the use of jet-packs or the like in either mode.

The main thing is they're awesome, and that no one should bitch because "OMG THEY ARE SO NOT FIRST" :]

16. norvell

norvell Member

dull epic combineing

its a joke a how they look i mean its so dull.

17. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

18. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've always taken the "only Decepticons fly" bit (in G1 and Animated) to mean that they have anti-gravity technology. The fact that the Autobots lack this, coupled with the fact that most of them have grounded alt modes, means no flight without assistive technology in either mode, such as BB or Prowl's rockets/jetpack.

On the other hand, even Decepticons with non-aerial altmodes (like G1 Soundwave, for example) have superman-style flight abilities in bot mode, which again I attribute to anti-gravity tech. The downside to this is that it makes VTOL alt modes (G1/Armada Thrust, any copter Decepticon, Movie Incinerator, etc) redundant except for the purposes of disguise.

19. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I agree with Gingerchris: Autobots not flying is ridiculously stupid.

Especially since they're the SCIENTISTS.

But yeah, the Jet Bros are, in TFA, the first Bots to fly. Prowl can't fly. Omega can't fly, except in shuttle mode (and hover at best in robot). Swoop can only fly in dinobot mode, not robot.

The Jets are the only ones able to fly in both robot and alt modes, and to USE that ability in combat conditions. Omega-shuttle's flight is worthless in combat. Can't dodge, can't maneuver, can't do tricks. The Jet Bros are the first Bots to actually be able to fly, by any means.

Also: Omega was dead until s2 finale. The Jet Bros are born at the beginning of S2. Even IF you count Omega as a flier, he doesn't come in until AFTER the Jet Bros do.

20. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

Yeah this doesnt really factor into it since the whole "1st flying autobots" is actually an in show concept which makes the chronology of when said characters first appear in terms of the show redundant since Omega was alive in the great war.