Are horror movies becoming too predictible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soundwave47, May 3, 2007.

1. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

I've noticed that nowadays horror movies are so predictable

#1 at beginning of film someone dies from mysterious being/monster

#2 investigation starts

#3 people start dying one by one

#4 black guy gets killed (very rare for them to survie till end of film,deep blue sea is the only one I can think of that the black guy survives till the end)

#5 hero kills monster/killer

#6 hero and girl survive until the end and eventually hook up

and actually some good horror movies have come out of these plots

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

You described the classic way of horror movies! No way man, I think they are getting better and better and they are coming up with new ways to scare you. Check out the classic movies especially the good ones from the 70's and 80's and of cource your classic black and white and you will see they only get better. But the main plot of monsters and horror will always be predictable in some way.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If you break down movies like that, then you'll see a pattern for all the movies. You'll see a lot of movies follow a pattern to Joseph Campbell's "Heros Journey" structure too.

A structure like this shouldn't have to be a bad thing because the experience to the movie, in this case horror, should be a thrilling experience. It's also good to follow a formula that works good for the genre of movie. If you are starting to predict the movie every step it does then you may just not be enjoying the movie.

I don't really dig horror movies but I loved Alien and thought 28 Days Later was really good.

4. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Alien and 28days later are hardly horror movies. They barely make the horror movie cut.

5. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Check into John Carpenter's version of 'The Thing', Keith Davids character survives along with Kurt Russel's, though they both have only death to wait for.

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, crap! If Alien and 28 Days Later are hardly horror movies, then what is? Alien for me was the defining example of a horror movie.

Thanks to Katamari I rembered "The Thing" and liked that one too.

Btw, my opinions are mine alone, I dont want to give off this "I'm right, you're wrong" thing.

7. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

BAD horror movies, with 'pretty' teens, boring psycho-slashers and post-modern "humour" (the sort of film where the movie poster ALWAYS has the unfeasably attractive cast lined up to look 'cool') follow that pattern and I could well do without them.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of Italian "giallo" thrillers and they're as formulaic as they come yet I never grow tired of them. Guess it's all down to how the old cliches are presented.

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Indeed, Argento,Bava, and Fulci FTW.

9. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Alien is a horror movie. You've got your monster, you've got your slaughter, you've got your Tough Woman Who Makes It Out Alive (But Just Barely.) You've got your sexuality metaphor. The science fiction setting isn't integral to the plot; you could do a similar movie without spaceships.

Aliens, now, that is not horror. It's action.

10. redsquadron

And those "Euro-Babes" :eek:  : Edwige Fenech, Susan Scott, Rosalba Neri.... *sigh*. Women just don't look like that anymore!

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Modern horror movies work hard to have realistic/gruesome killing/torture scenes. Disturbing but fun (in a sick way).

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Alien, when you get down to it, is a haunted house movie, set in space. The Nostromo is the haunted house. Aliens is a sci-fi action movie.
    I'm not a huge fan of the "gore for the sake of it" type of horror movies; personally I think that the best 3 horror movies of all time are Psycho, Hellraiser, and Prince Of Darkness. All 3 of them had a strongly claustrophobic approach to things without needing buckets of gore to get the point across.
    (I won't put The Fog in the "horror" category; as far as I'm concerned it's far more of a ghost story than a horror)

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am a rabid fan of the horror genre. In all honesty, I can't stand many of the "Hollywood" horror films that come out. Sure, once in awhile you get a gem like Hills Have Eyes remake or Slither, but the PG-13 horror scene has become such a terrible trap for those looking to get their movies made. The indie scene is where horror is really thriving these days. Sure, it'll never be like the 70's and 80's, when the indie horror scene was really a sight to behold, but non-Hollywood horror films are where it's at.

And it's really a shame that Anchor Bay, basically the saviors of the horror genre on DVD, has been taken over by the "Starz" label.

14. redsquadron

The Carpenter PRINCE OF DARKNESS? My god, I thought I was the only person who liked that movie!! It's original, claustrophopic (as you said!) and genuinely unsettling in places. The 'messages from the future' with the 'thing' appearing indistinctly in the church doorway are very spooky, while the ending is clever.

The best "horror" to me offers up a sense of dislocation. Things seem superficially normal yet there's something wrong just beyond your perceptions. THE WICKER MAN is an example, as well as DEAD AND BURIED.

Blue Underground, Shriek Show and No Shame are doing a good job of filling their shoes now. When I look at my horror DVD section, the vast majority are either one of those or Anchor Bay.

15. redsquadron

Double post...

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Of course they're getting predictable, 99 percent of all horror movies these days are remakes with the only diffrences being worse acting and more gore.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I really want to see 28 Weeks Later

18. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a good post, and very true. Every now and then a horror/thriller comes out like the Sixth Sense where it's got some plot twist that throws some people for a loop and then EVERYONE decides they have to have some stupid twist. M Knight still never recovered from that crap...most of his movies have to have some stupid twist or 'reveal' with some lame ending now. Horror movies aren't about being incredibly intelligent, they are about giving you chills, scares, or just being flatout cool.

The more stupid fluff they put in to try and trick you (i.e. the Scream series) the more stupid they become. I'm speaking as a die-hard horror fan who's practically seen it all, btw.

I'm not saying that NO horror movies should be intelligent and unpredictable, I'm just saying that isn't what horror movies really truly NEED to be good. Kind of like how a good action flick doesnt need good story either.

19. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Another movie where the black guy survives 'til the end is the original Night of the Living Dead.

And if you look into more Asian horror movies, the formula is different. Usually the monster wins.

20. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Horror movies predictable? Try all movies these days are predictable. I have one thing to say about horror movies. At the end, make sure the monster/person is DEAD. Cut it up, torch it, drown it, but please at the end of all that dump a few hundred bullets/RPGs into it so it doesn't return! If you have access to a rocket, launch the remains into the Sun!

ViperDragon