Are Hook the one "control" Devastator in G1 ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by galvatron1976, Mar 15, 2011.

1. galvatron1976

galvatron1976 Well-Known Member

Hello ,i have a burning question ,since Hook form the Head of Devastator ,are he the one who control Devastator mind and formation ,i ask this because other combiner who have 5 member ,the leader are the one who control the combiner like Motormaster control Menasor mind and Silverbolt control superion mind and my friend said Devastator is upgrade version of Hook like Menasor is upgrade version of Motormaster since Motormaster form the body and head of Menasor and Menasor face is just a mask in the Motormaster toy ?are my friend right?

What do you think ?

Thanks.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Scrapper's the leader. It took me a while to get my head around this fact, considering Hook forms the head and shoulders. In my mind, the guy who forms the head and shoulders should be the boss, not the one forming the right foot.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually, I've always seen it as nobody controls the gesault, but it's it's own mind. Hook doesn't control Devastator, it's just Devastator.

And I can't recall any continuities (admittedly I don't really care enough about combiners to remember) where the torso robot controlled the combined form when it comes to the scramble city combiners. Like again, Motormaster never controlled Menasor, Menasor was it's own entity.

And your friend is wrong. Menasor is not an "upgraded" Motormaster.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^

Isn't the main weakness for most combiners their lack of control? All the robot minds kind of work against each other? I think I remember reading that on a tech spec awhile ago.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, all the minds combine as well. That's why Menasor is such a mess, because all the stunticons hate Motor Master.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My understanding was it was a mixed bag. With some they tried merging the minds where as with others it was a distinct entity in control of the combined form. I believe Bruticus fell into the latter catagory if I'm not mistaken.

...they suck anyways!

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

The Technobots were one of the few combiners that when they merged into Computron you could say ended up being more than the sum of its parts.. technically speaking I think the Autobot combiners tended to "get along" better in the combined forms than the Con's for what should really be obvious reasons.

Most transformers lore sources actually site Devastator as a failure of the combiner process due to severe loss of mentality after fusion.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Combiner

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Combiner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_technology

Google does wonders man...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i love your questions man. keep em coming.

these guys nailed it outta the park again!

9. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all the scramble city combiners. Computron Menasor Bruticus etc.

They combine onto the leader and the minds and sparks of all the parts go through the leader making the gesault.

But i remember reading somewhere. (I'm guessing the dreamwave compendium, but i can't be for sure) Devastator is the only true gesault. The Constructicons minds and 'hearts' are so similar, they when they combined they don't make just combined sparks and minds. They make a new mind and a new spark. (Which I like because it make it feel like everyone is trying to copy the Constructicons but can get anything as good)

But in all cases the leaders never drives the gesault. The gesault always has a a mind of it's own.

10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't there a g1 episode where one of the gestalts kept losing limbs because they didn't want to all form the main guy? I want to say stunticons? I could be mistaken.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Drag Strip tried to make a go of it on his own as the core of a drone-based combiner. He even changed his name so Motormaster wouldn't track him down too fast, but this British guy kept screaming at him and pointing him out wherever he went, so he had to change his name again. :) 

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Scrapper should have never been named leader. A right leg? Seriously?

13. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    protectobots i think

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't superion have that issue too because of Silverbolts fear of heights?

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I never understood this complaint. In (most) continuities Devastator can't be formed without everyone, so who really cares what part he actually forms?

Honestly I don't see the significance of a head over a leg, since it's not like they can do anything on their own anyway.

16. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    You love so much to disagree with everyone that you failed completely to see the subtle sarcasm in my post, given my screen name and uber-biased love for Hook.

:lol 

Also:
    Is your brain in your right leg? What's that now? No?? YOU MUST BE PULLING MY LEG! Oh wow, awesome pun there.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it would be very smart for the leader to want to be a leg. Nobody punches you in the leg. They always go for the face or torso. And a leg gets to kick people in the nuts. Headbutting is okay too, but headbutting someone in the nuts is just dubious.

Although maybe Hook should've become an arm with a hook hand.

18. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

There is also a difference between a combiner and a gestalt. All gestalts are combiners, but not all combiners are gestalts.

Devastator, Predaking, and all the Scramble City types are gestalts. Many individuals making up one new unique mind/personality.

Examples of bots that combine but do not form a new personality are: God Ginrai, Victory Saber, any of the UT Optimus Prime's and Megatron's, the Autobots from Energon, Skylynx, and the Power Core Combiners.

However, I have noticed that, particularly with the Scramble City types, the japanese do tend to portray them as the leader wearing armour and using the others as limbs. They often even have the componenets talking to each other while in combined mode. This is most evident in the Car Robots/Robots In Disguise combiners; JRX/Rail Racer, Build King/Landfill, and Vuldigous/Ruination.
    Especially JRX/Rail Racer. I just finished re-watching RID and the 3 Train Bots can be seen conversing with each other quite often in Rail Racer mode. Almost like Rail Racer is a 4th entity that exists completely separate from the other three, but only gains expression when the three merge.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

No, when talking G1 combiners, no 1 robot controlled the combined mind.Motormaster DID NOT control Menasor and Silverbolt DID NOT control Superion.......and I have no idea what ever gave you that impression.

Each member contributed to the combined mind.But the combined mind was a personality of its own.

I think you might be remembering that wrong.

In the Dreamwave books Prediking was considered one of the more successful combiners.

There were 2 times that a gestalt formed with out all its members, but not for the reasons you cited.
    No

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, most gestalts (Bruticus included) essentially have a single mind which is kind of made up of a "consensus" of the individuals it comprises. The result essentially varies depending on how much the team can agree upon.

Therefore, as was mentioned earlier, Menasor is a total mess, since the Stunticons are all mentally-scarred one way or another, and all hate Motormaster. Bruticus, while he can't handle complex tactics in his combined form, is much more stable because the Combaticons all have an appreciation for some aspect of warfare, and they can function much more effectively as a team.

The Constructicons, if they had been a second-generation combiner, I think would actually have worked really well, and probably would be on a par at least with the likes of Defensor. But because the technology was in their case extremely experimental, the mental fusion is much less reliable.
    I like the note made in the MTMTE profile for him, that Megatron's forbidden them from trying to improve the connection, for fear that it would hamper their destructive effectiveness.

Well, there was the cartoon ep where Defensor was missing an arm because First Aid had gone AWOL...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011