Are Hasbro being unreasonable by not making Gi Joe TF Crossovers toys yet ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jan 8, 2012.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    And if they ever did they have the crazy idea in their head that the robot modes should look like Gi Joe Characters rather than Transformers...

Have the missed a trick not having this standing by in the year a new Gi Joe Movie comes out and not that long before a 4th Live Action Transformers Movie build more hype into 2013-2014.

And would it go down like a lead balloon if they did make it but they just made 20 different versions of Snake eyes as a robot ?

(Much like their unreasonable amount of Jedi Characters in Transformers Crossovers).

I think they should make it and I think it would sell especially if they didn't limit themselves to just modern vehicle or just 1984 Characters for Transformers...

One other reason I think it is worth while is I know some people enjoy Star Wars Transformers just for the vehicles and small collectable Gi Joe Collectable vehicles might appeal to Gi Joe fans too (even if they do happen to Transform).

And now Crossovers come in 3 sizes those size could be used to make much more elaborate toys or even the smaller ones (Cyberverse Commander size) could be made as mini-bot characters like Bumblebee, Brawn or Gears etc..

Anyone want to suggest some characters that match up well to specific Gi Joe vehicles in terms of colour and theme ?

And state if you'd want all Decepticons to be Cobra vehicles and all Autobots to be Gi Joe ones ?

And Hasbro might like to bear in mind that Gi Joe comes with ready made repaint schemes too like Tigerforce, Night Attack, Cobra Army, Crimson Guard, & Python Patrol to name a few.

Maybe if Gi Joe does really well they might wake up - but I will say now if they do it but with robotic humans or Movie Transformers I will have a Fan Rage attack that will last at least a month.

To me it works with mid eighties G1 Transformers and Most Gi Joe/Cobra vehicles but especially late mid-late 80's ones.

Please share your thoughts.

2. VSpec

VSpec TF Forza Painter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't buy em unless the TFs were in scale with normal GI Joes.... I hate the marvel/SW crossover lines. I want in-scale TFs that can act as GI Joe vehicles....

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Hmmm.

What about Sigma Six scale or HA scale ?

Or if they included Gi Joe mini figures like the Star Wars one used to ?

---

I think a Bumblebee Motorcycle with 3.75" Scarlet set is something completely feasible.... that probably will never be made....

They nearly Made a Transformer the size of a Gi Joe vehicle but it was like Mauler size. so it's not really that practical. Unless the things they turn into are things like C.L.A.W.S. or F.A.N.G.S. or Ferrets.

I did see a Ravage as a Ferret design that was quite fun a while back. so perhaps if the alt modes are 3.75" but the characters are the smaller ones that would work - you'd end up with Rumble, Frenzy, and co rather than Optimus, Ironhide, Jazz etc .. though !

Oh and here's a thought Sgt Slaughters team vehicles that turn into the Dinobots.

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A friend asked Hasbro last year. The answer they got was that they (Hasbro) knew it would be a hit, not matter when they made that crossover line. So their taking their sweet time getting to it.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unreasonable? Oh my no. I mean, I guess its a tough concept to sell. It'd be hard to get right. I mean, you'd pretty much have to appeal to both sides of the fence to be confident of success, and it's pretty hard enough just to appeal to one at a time. Lot of effort that could be put on safer bets.

But yeah, I'm with you on the idea that they're sitting on a goldmine and the toys pretty much design themselves, and that they've almost flat out teased us for decades about it in terms of crossover episodes, comics, and toys that come so close, but yet so far.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I would expect something similar in scale to the HA line, but that would mean compromising the GI Joe/Cobra vehicle pilots/drivers. Ideally, we'd want 3/4 Joes.

7. VSpec

VSpec TF Forza Painter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no, I wouldn't be interested in a different scale. then all my Joes couldn't interact with the new TFs. I'd be willing to pay a premium for 3 3/4" scale TFs

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not that I want it, but I have said quite a few times over the years how surprised I am that it's never happened considering the comic crossovers, the general relation they seem to have with each other according to lots of fans of both franchises, and even the G1 cartoon crossover with Cobra Commander. Makes much more sense to me than those awful TF Star Wars things ever will.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah never understood why this didn't happen. Must mean there is some legal reasoning behind it we don't understand or they don't want to deal with. Don't care about scale, and def don't want to see them turn from a Vamp into a robit Clutch, but seriously why has this never happened? It's so baffling that it hasn't that I'm apt to start sounding like one of those HASBLO HATE ME mutants that troll around here every week or so mad they haven't got their Leader Blackout yet.

Seriously though, HASBRO WHY YOU HATE ME I WANT HISSTANK DECEPTICON BRAWL NOW!

ahem.

10. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And that is why I think they have not been made yet. Picture a dev session to brainstorm a GIJOE/TF crossover line. Would'nt they bring in Joe and TF guys to talk? How much talk about scale would that conversation would encompass that meeting?

Then...You have the toys themselves. Do we do a "classics" line where only 30+ year olds will recognize the product? Or do we do a "modern" joe look where the vehicles all look like Star Wars repaints?

Scale is the biggest one. They could not put out a TF that big, and that quality to fit 4" figs. Do they want to remake an ALL NEW scale just for these toys, similar to Human Alliance? Then if that were the case, GIJOE has always been known to have guns and rocket launchers and backpacks...Scratch all that....So is it even a GIJOE anymore, or just another Star Wars Xover?

Im a bigger Joe fan than TFs. I LOVE...my GIJOE stuff. But seriously...I do NOT want them to even come close to this line unless they either

A-Interact with current 4" figs

B-work with Human Alliance scale

The latter is plausible...But then...takes away from GIJOE itself. One could say, Hey...they did it with TFs, and Star Wars is "that" scale. And as a Star Wars/TF/GIJOE fan....I have not found a single SWXover appealing since the VERY first ones that came with the tiny figure...Oh..and the new Y-Wing commander sized one..just because its a decent bot, without a STUPID yoda head on it or something.

Im completley torn on this one...and Im a fan. Imagine how the devs conversate at those meetings...

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    How about both sort then ?

Normal size Transformers like a said using the existing size templates of the Star wars Crossovers line in the first post (Transformers-Gi Joe if you like) and then 3.75" Gi Joes with an accessory that turns into a robot sidekick and is either small jetpacks and the like or modest vehicles (like a ferret) that turn into the smaller characters such as Ravage or Gears or Huffer and that would be Gi Joe Transformers.

Or even explicitly state than the 3.75" scale ones are "Minicons" and make them all new characters. (bit like Human Alliance basics but bigger).

You would miss out on so many large vehicles and large characters though if the toys were 3.75" scale alone.

Gi Joe did have tiny Micromachine like collectable vehicles a long time ago so it's not like Gi Joe vehicles have never been made in another scale... as they were done in Sigma Six which were also both bigger and smaller scales.

Ha Basic scale might be something worth thinking about for the likes of a Ferret ? even if they don't do it perhaps they could copy a few more Gi Joe vehicle unofficially for Transformers toys ?

In all honesty if Hasbro made something people saw the fun in a Tigerforce Skystriker / Hooligan wouldn't some people from both fandoms buy it ? regardless if it was just a bonkers X-14 Skystriker repaint or an actual Transformer ?

Wouldn't people want a Thundercracker Rattler regardless if it was Cyberverse Commander scale or Mid scale or larger ?

I can't see them making it' 3.75" scale though it would need to be at least $80.00+ and mostly hollow.

12. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the best all around angle for this stuff, would be to do SMALL sized Joe scale vehicles, such as the Ferret, Armadillo.....Mabye the firebat is even too big. If they made a TF, that stuck to the level of Hasbro's quality, and TF's into a COOL bot....It would cost as much as the current HA mainline, right? Then...Do we include a figure?

Were already up $40.....

dont get me wrong...id LOVE to see it done right..but right now...with this economy...I say stay away from it. That is a Holy Grail of mine that I just DONT WANT TOUCHED, until it is flawless. Or dont do it.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I don't get why people want crossover anything.

14. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Good points.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Oh and Star Wars Transformers flaws are in things like loose joints - often the colours and alt modes work quite well - though it obviously helps if you like Jedi & Clone Troopers, I however count my V-19 Vigilance and V-Wing Crossovers very highly, and I quite like the Iron Man Sports car as well. - but Star Wars Transfomers are the obvious Templates here as they have the cabins - otherwise if you look at them like the marvel ones then the Gi Joe aspect is thrown in the bin completely and you just get a Transformers line where they happen to change into Gi joe Vehicles - in which case the only appeal to Gi joe fans is for those who enjoy the vehicles enough to want smaller version of them.

Also I would point out the quality of the larger Star Wars * Gi Joe / Iron Man toys that act as vehicles for the 3.75" toys is somewhat patchy so making something that big and expecting it to also transform to me seems very optimistic for it to not suck badly. I can't even see a third party attempting it the biggest things at the moment cost over $150.00 buck and are not even half the size they'd need to be to make even the smallest Cobra or Gi Joe jet...

If you wanted a 1-1 scale Night Raven I guess it might be $600.00 if made unofficially and $150.00 if official.... but Hasbro would not make it anyway it would be for a child heavy to lift. (same reason there's no Gi Joe C-130 toy). the closest third party product is probably those massive helicopters and yes some of them are quite good value but I'm sceptical it could be done unless someone wanted to make tens of thousands of them... you never know perhaps someone might ?

3.75" scale Osprey that looks like ROTF Springer and is made by one of those chinese firms that makes little soldiers (Like World Peacekeepers).

Hmm... Might work but I can't imagine the robot mode would be up to much.

p.s

if Hasbro cared about scale all Jets would be Ultras and all cars Cyberverse - but they make cars and jets both deluxe (something that supposedly drives Japanese consumers crazy) so if they did make Gi Joe-Crossovers the scale they would be conforming to isn't the alt mode it's the size of the robot mode (just over 6" or a bit bigger than a deluxe).

Just look at the crazyness of the Star wars scales there's a republic cruiser, the Twilight, Republic shuttle, Imperial shuttle and then a tiny V-wing or republic fighter tank all the same height in robot mode and completely out of scale with each other.

oh and as to the earlier point - it needs to be vintage Gi Joe vehicles 1983-to 1990's with the odd later one thrown in... for example both a Vintage and a Sigma Six Hiss tank would be nice to see.

Anyway If you want to consider another scale option - Sigma Six scale is quite similar to HA scale. but it would make the toys a lot more expensive if that was the scale of them - but it does open up some interesting ideas like sub-scout size ferrets etc...

I think the best idea overall is just accept some Gi Joe fans are not that into vehicles and will just have to lump it. (modern Gi Joe isn't very vehicular anyway). I only collected Gi Joe seriously for a few years and soon got dozens of vehicles nearly all of them are pre-late nineties though as after that they hardly made any except repaints - the only other time they made quite a lot was during the relaunch period around Spytroops and the like. these days they hardly bother at all.

So that is why I feel they need to be vintage and semi-vintage vehicles. Also if it turned into some of the Rise of Cobra era like stuff you'd not even know it was supposed to be a Cobra or Gi joe vehicle half the time. The Gi Joe stuff looks like off the shelf modern desert Warfare stuff and the Cobra Stuff looks like it escaped from Star Wars quite often (the most modern Hiss especially).

If it was a Hiss 2 say it would look really cool as an alt mode it would have a tiny flavour of sci fi to it but not so much that it screamed Star Wars at you. and the best thing about Vintage vehicles is they come in all kinds of colours that are probably quite well suited to many Transformers too.

You can almost play a game name a Transformer Character then name the Gi Joe or Cobra vehicle suited to it by virtue of colour, personality or alt mode type.

I.e Sandstorm. (think about that one for a bit) you have several options that make sense.

16. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How about the smaller 2.5" scale they used for those Sigma Six vehicles a few years ago?

17. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

a new pretenders line perhaps.

18. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I've posted responses to this topic in the past (both here and at Hisstank), but the same issues are always present:

No matter what angle Hasbro were to take with the idea, one fanbase or the other will get screwed and will end up pissed off:

If you kept the GI JOe figures 3.75 (as most fans will want), you are stuck with small vehicles. In the old Alpha pricepoint, Hasbro was able to do a transforming cycle figure last year. So that is $15 MINIMUM just for a cycle-former, and realistically, $20 or more for something the size of a trouble bubble or Armadillo. Jets and such would be completely out of the question as you are looking at Supreme prices to make that concept work.

If you rescaled the figures to allow larger/more diverse vehicles, the Joe collectors would be pissed, and that still doesn't completely offset the price issue. A Human Alliance car is $35. Most Joe vehicles (the popular ones anyway) are much bigger than a car, which means, again, you'd be limited to smaller stuff.

And that doesn't even start to touch on the "marketing issues" most fans don't consider:
    To Hasbro, certain characters and concepts represent certain ideas. If they ever did a crossover line like the fans want (and not modeled after SW TFs, which is the most likely scenario if such a line ever came into being), you would NOT get Optimus Prime as HISS tank.

Optimus is a good guy, but the Hisstank is a bad guy vehicle. Hasbro would percieve that as a marketing conflict. So you would get Autobots as Joe vehicles, which largely means stuff VERY similar to what we get every year anyway.

And on the price issues, fans want the Decepticon jets, which in almost every scenario fans entertain, would be well into the leader and supreme ranges. WE barely get Decepticons in those ranges NOW, why would Hasbro commit such in an unproven concept?

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Now that 'is' left field.

You deserve some kind of award for out of the box thinking.

I think your forgetting that a lot of people like Gi Joe because of the Marvel or Devil's Due Comics or the cartoon and don't even buy the figures.

And I think the way people are so figure focused is plain odd to me perhaps its an age thing. but to me the 'idea' of the vehicles was one of the attractions.. and not the figure/vehicle interactions so much.

If Hasbro made a tiny collectable line of miniature versions of things like the Defiant Space Shuttle or the other large playsets I'd not be complaining about them being so small i'd be enjoying them for the vehicles they are and not bothered at all if my Defiant was 10 times smaller.

I look at it like this image you collect World war 2 Figures they might be 2.5cm they might be 3.75" or they could be 12" but i bet a lot of people who do buy them also have some tiny metal model tanks on their shelves. or those people who buy massive airplanes to stick on the ceiling - you not likely to get a 16th scale flying fortess so cheaply - so if you wanted that plane you'd have to buy a smaller one.

The whole point of crossovers as I see it is you can get vehicles like Rolling Thunder or Cobra Bugg or The Defiant that look great as stand alone vehicles and yet also transform into a version of a Transformers Character that does not automatically conform to a 27 year old stereotype.

Also the whole things of scale to ma smacks of the lame excuse that Knight Morpher Commander shouldn't be red as Trains are not red (which actually they were and still often are anyway )

I don't feel people should be focused so much on the figure/vehicle interaction just see the vehicle modes as another aspect of Gi joe to celebrate just as Star wars celebrates it's vehicles.

If Gi Joe Transformers is allowed to take the vehicle ideas for Gi Joe and the Transformers Characters from Transformers then not even really bother with the Joes themselves at all it for me would still work fine. (sure some Star Wars scale mini figures would be a laugh to have) but I do believe they already exist anyway in a slightly different form.

I don't think people need to be looking at this through the lens of the 3.75" world but instead thinking of products like Action Fleet/battlesquads/Starship Troopers/Aliens.

Focus on them as tiny 'cool' vehicles and put Duke and co to one side for the moment.
    The vehicle modes of Gi joe deserve to be the focus for a change there's only so many times you can sell someone the same 3.75" figure over an over again after all.

a 6" long Mauler Killer Whale, Skystriker, General, STUN, HISS, Rattler, Stinger, RAGE, Decimator, Dominator, Nightraven, APC, VAMP, Water Mocasan, SeaSlug, MAMBA, or Tomahawk twin rotor (or resolute Tomahawk or Resolute Hiss) is not something you've been given the chance to buy before and should some people be given the chance ?. and unless Hasbro wants to make Gi joe Action Fleet Transformers:Gi Joe Crossovers might be the best chance to have that.

Sit and stare at Energon Snowcat for a bit to get the general idea. Or just image a Gi Joe RHINO as Battletrap if you want to look at the possible advantages of it from the Transformers direction.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i think we have already have the closest we are ever likely to see to a TF/GI Joe Crossover figure line in the SDCC Starscream Skystriker.

Beyond that all i can imagine we might get would be some akin to the marvel and star wars crossover lines and they would not satisfy either collector group.

Bottom line is there is no financially feasible way to produce a Transformers/Gi Joe crossover toy line that can interact with the 3 3/4 inch figures and anything less would likely be a flop with collectors who would be the main market for such a thing.