Are Games Too Profane Now?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Splintershot, Aug 3, 2011.

?

Swearing in games

1. Yes, I agree.

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. No, I @#!$*% disagree

37 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. I don't know, I don't play those games

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

I don't know, it feels like developers are making games progessively more and more vulgar, especially with the F-bomb. Grand Theft Auto, Duke Nukem, Gears of War, Mortal Kombat are all quite profane... and an article in Gamepro shows that MAFIA II has +300 F-bombs in the dialogue. Over 300. There are some games that aren't even required to mention swearing in the game. So what do you guys think. Do you agree or is it just me? Does it bother you or is it not a very big deal?

2. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Not an issue for me, I prefer it that way.

At least in games where it fits. If pacman starts cussing, then we got a problem.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I dunno. It seems kind of silly to worry about profanity in games with horrific violence.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't really care.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I would only agree if it is completely unnecessary to the point that it distracts me from the game. I noticed this in the little bit of Gears of War that I played. It felt childish and broish and might have actually contributed to me not liking the game.On the other hand, I barely even noticed all the swearing while playing Mafia 2.

6. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I have a similar opinion. Swearing and profanity can be used to add a certain sense of maturity (though profanity ≠ maturity, of course) and humor, it is far too often overused in video games, movies, TV, etc. I don't want to hear a Cluster F-Bomb, but a couple Precision F-Strikes are fine with me.

And as VBBN said, it's okay to keep those F-Bombs in games where they fit, like GTA. I don't particularly like the increase, but I don't play those games so I can't comment further.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Playing Prototype, the dialogue is littered with it, makes sense some of the time but not all the time. Seems to go overboard on occasion. IMO it's not needed a lot of the time.

8. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Games in general? No. Most games aren't rated M or up.

The ones that are? Too profane? I don't know. What's too profane? 10 swear words vs. 1000? what's the diff at that point.

Games are being made for an increasingly wider audience, so naturally it's going to seem that there's an increase in certain game traits.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    In a lot of games, you can turn off the gore, right? Can't turn off the language I don't think.

10. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I don't think Duke Nukem is a good example to state, I never played them but from what I understand, swearing had been the norm for the games even in the 90s.

to stay on topic, I have noticed that games these days have been throwing swear words here and there more often...but I don't have an issue with it myself.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Like hell I care.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Eh, it depends on the game. Grand Theft Auto is an example of swearing just to swear, when you have civilians excessively dropping F-bombs without cause, but there are games that do it alright. Gears of War was thrown up as profane, and considering the setting, it's rightfully so. The main characters are all beefed up men drooling testosterone, and they're being attacked by aliens or whatever, so it's realistic to assume that there would be a lot of heavy swearing. I'm fine with swearing in excess as long as it makes sense.
    That said, I was surprised with how much swearing they crammed into Uncharted 2 without losing the T rating.

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I could care less.

The only time I care is if it's used the wrong way. If it's a game with a comedic story or a plot that parodys something then it makes sense to pile on the cussing. If it's a mature game, it works when paced out. The more dire the situation, the more likely the cuss count will rise.

14. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If the game's good, I don't care.

15. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

The difference between Portal 2 and Gears of War should be clear to anyone familiar with both. One aims to be a story-driven, intellectual game, and the other is a boisterous, action-packed game. An explosion game like Call of Duty doesn't need to have good dialog, simply because a good story is not what it's here to portray. It would be like Michael Bay trying to adapt Shakespeare into movies.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends, which games are YOU playing?

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I picked option 3, but I lean towards the belief that the language is too heavy, too much.

I'm fine with "damn" in a game, but when "fuck" and "shit" start cropping up, I usually get shocked out of the gaming experience. I'm not sure why, since I watch South Park reruns regularly and have no problems there. Maybe it's because SP does it specifically for childish humor, while most of those games do it for shock value to be "hardcore" and come off as childish.

Even if it didn't bother me, I can't exactly have a game blaring "I'LL TEAR YOUR FUCKING DICK OFF AND FEED IT TO YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!!!" while my dad's around. I'd never hear the end of it.

19. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

On an in-universe matter: Depends if it fits as several others have already said.

As for whether or not I have any moral objections to it? Certainly not. I rather encourage it in fact.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It all matters if it makes sense or not. Non military guy ends up in a firefight? Yeah it makes sense for him to let a bit of profanity loose. Same dude glad to see a puppy? Probably not so much, unless the puppy is carrying a severed arm.