Are exclusives truly fair to foreign fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Basketball Jones, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Due to problems with distribution and other factors, many exclusives are never released in foreign countries or are prohibitively difficult to obtain (such as convention exclusives).

This is largely a fact for the toy industry. Many American Transfans do not realize this, but our fellow fans in Europe, South America, and other continents do not get the same selection of figures North America and Japan do.

Fans in foreign countries are not lesser fans- their devotion to the fandom is often just as impressive, if not moreso, than the Americans.

American fans can purchase Botcon exclusives without attending the convention. This is a fair deal, as attending the convention is expensive, and the figures are often very well-designed.

However, it has been stated that it is far more costly for foreign fans to gain access to these and other exclusives. The non-Americans can probably state the exact cost.

The non-Americans should have access to the same prices and figures that the Americans do, with the only difference in cost accounting for shipping. It is obviously more costly to ship to Germany than the USA, and charging more for shipping is acceptable. However, it has been stated that the fees exceed this.

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They have non-attendee packages that you can buy for botcon exclusive box sets that ship all over the words.

Long story short, the exclusives are as fair as they can be.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Japan gets Lucky Draws and Victory figures. I think that makes us roughly even.

Apologies to the UK, though.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you expand things beyond just Transformers, there is always some toy or other item available in one or more countries that is not available (or at least takes a lot of work and money to procure) in certain other countries, and wanted by people in said countires. I don't see it as any more or less fair than the TFs or any other 'exclusives' situation. It all boils down to "I want this and can't get it for the price I want to pay" in the end, regardless of the details.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think it all comes down to regional distributors. is there enough demand to support making their own exclusives?

that said, i dont see the big deal in regards to collector market thx to online store and auction sites.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nobody has a right to anything, it's all a privilege. Exclusives are unfair by the nature of the fact they're limited in numbers and once they're gone, that's the end. That's the nature of exclusives.

I won't begrudge anyone owning the things, if there was a local exclusive I knew someone wanted, I'd try to get them one. But I see no point in complaining about it because it is simply a fact of life. Be it toys or be it other things, there are some items you simply don't get in some areas because they are available exclusively to certain customers, or to certain policy holders, or to certain chains of stores.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    There is always ebay. The collctible/toy industry today is NOT fair. look at the exclusivs for SDCC, botcon, Lucky Draws and other store exclusivs for diffrent toylines. There will be exclusivs for all toylines and all lines and that is something you have to accept. Sure you dont like it maybee but this is how it works and just because some ppl cant/couldent get a hold of them they just cant reissue everything all the time over and over again. a exclusiv is a exclusiv and thats it.

8. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    The clue is in the name - Exclusive. If everyone could just get one when they wanted, it wouldn't be very exclusive.

And yeah, sure, Americans can get a few things easier, but that's because the franchise has a HUGE American consumer base.

I would find it hard to get my favourite beers in America because they don't have as large a large consumer base there, not because it's unfair.

9. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Gormiti. Fricking Gormiti. You're either importing opened ones from some international seller on eBay and paying through the nose for 'em (runs to $8-9 per figure at a MINIMUM, and these things are two or three inches tall!) or sealed and have no clue what you'll get, and the card's probably creased and dented. It helps that the UK is carrying them now, because when it was just Italy... yikes.

[There's apparently a test market in Arizona for them, but no mass release yet.]

I collect some toylines that simply do not and probably will never exist in the US, and have to deal with paying far more than they'd retail in their natural habitat (heh) and the crappy falling value of the dollar. Just because I happen to be in one of the best country for TFs doesn't mean I don't know how international TF collectors feel.

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm going to have to go into "old man mode" now...

It is soooo much more fair and easy than it was back in the old days. I remember collecting BEFORE the Internet openned everything up, back when the UK and Japan had all the exclusives because the entire Transformers line was pretty much a non-U.S. exclusive thing :p  Back then for collecting we had Toy Shop...think of the Master Collector magazine that almost nobody reads...but back then it was like a lifeline! You saw an ad and prayed that no-one had called yet! Even that magazine gave some of us an unfair advantage since so few news stands actually carried it...and subscribers usually got that magazine a week early.

Without that your ONLY hope was the local toy shows and hoping a dealer had some exotic stuff...

Now there are hundreds of dealers that yes, are looking to make a buck, but at least it opens everything up to a worldwide audience for regional exclusives.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about the Americans who can't get their hands on the exclusives??? I wouldn't say unfair to non-Americans but "more unfair" which is a fuzzy argument.

Ebay is pretty much screwing up the internet. Now you have people who buy the toy off the shelves to put on ebay which jacks up the price and keep local people from getting them at retail. But that's not what this thread is about so I'll end my rant there.

From an exclusive point of view the internet (not ebay) is an equalizer. Forums and sites like this help people find things they couldn't find before. Maybe at higher prices but not always. Look at how well the Masterpiece Starscream thread went.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly, aside from Transformers one of the few things I still collect are the Guyver figures by Max Factory. I love 'em... but I can't get them state side unless I get them from an online dealer or a local hobby/anime shop and end up paying at least double. And for those figures I missed and have had to resort to eBay to get... well I can expect to pay somewhere around three times the retail price. That's just the way it goes though...

Also, Revoltech... a lot of us collect Revoltech and they have plenty of 'Friend Shop Exclusives' that can be either really difficult or really pricey to obtain if you're not in Japan.

It's silly to assume that just because we live in a market that is excellent for one series (particularly Transformers) that we don't feel the pain of our fellow collector's or understand what they're going through when they want an exclusive. Hell, people in America have a hard time getting some of the exclusives over here as is! Not even talking about Botcon, but anyone remember how fast those Wal-Mart Movie Deluxe exclusives went? Yeah...

Also, at the end of the day, none of us are entitled to the toys we collect no matter what the line and, to be honest, it's not a fair market... the guy whom can afford the most gets the most. Can't get an exclusive where you're at? Sure you can... you just have to pay more for it than some on eBay or through a hobby shop (be it brick & mortar or online), but if you have the cash you can get the toy. The real question is this: How much is it worth to you?

13. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Exclusives are not fair by their very nature... they are exclusive to a given event/store/etc.

However, pretty much any exclusive I have wanted and have been willing to pay for I have gotten. It is all about how badly you want the item.