Are dust cleaners harfull or good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Aug 3, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I use a dust cleaner to clean my collection, tho I worried it might be harmful for the paint in the long run. Is it?

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I doubt it, Feather duster or compressed air works fine.

3. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Nah, I don't think so, as long as you're not applying it directly to the plastic you should be fine. When I'm cleaning my shelves with Pledge, the same soft cloth I use to clean my shelves; I'm also using it to clean my figures. I've been doing this for months now and my figures looks the same. Shinier!

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So what if I apply directly? I usu grab a figure and use the dust cleaner on it.

5. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i used one on transmetals rampage a month ago...and it took a inch long strip of transmetal paint off ....just straight slid it off the back shell.

6. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Transmetals are notorious for flaking and losing their chrome. I've got some figures that have held up well over the years, while others are flaking bad. I wouldn't recommend using much of anything to dust them off other than, say, a really soft watercolor brush. And even then it might just happen. Sometimes staring at them will do it. :lol 

For everything else, you really shouldn't have a problem.

7. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    baby wipes - honestly the best cleaner ever, its meant to be extremely sensitive and it cleans dust like a beast!

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't use them, but I think they should be fine on normal plastic. I'm not sure about chrome or die-cast paint jobs though.

Personally, I use Swiffer dusters (or any duster), they do a delicious job of getting rid of the dust. For hard to reach areas I use compressed air.

9. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Just keep the can a fair distance away. If it gets too close it could do some damage. I'm no expert on it so I'll let Wiki talk:

"When the can is held upright and activated, gas flows out through the nozzle. The pressure inside the can therefore drops, and is no longer sufficient to keep the contents as a liquid; so some of the liquid boils, until the equilibrium pressure is re-established. The vaporization of a liquid is endothermic; thus, heat is absorbed, and the can becomes cold."

Pretty much keep it upright and a decent distance away or you get extremely cold liquid gasses all over the place and will ruin something

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

This.

Those bad boys clean fantastically. Our youngest is fully trained. We still buy them for clean ups.

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

No joking around about the air cans--I work at a place where we're constantly having to clean out some of our equipment with the things. A few years ago, we had one girl spray another girl in the leg with one of those cans, except it was upside down. The other girl was wearing a skirt, so her skin was exposed. The liquid sprayed out, and gave her skin a bit of a chemical burn in this small area. Two years later and she still had the circular welt-looking scar.

12. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

just buy a cosmetic "blush" brush and wipe with that it works perfectly.

13. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:

This. Although I use a brush I got at the University art store here that's used for brushing off eraser dust from large pencil drawings. Same concept, though. It gets in every nook and cranny and leaves your toys looking brand new without using any kind of liquid.