Are Deluxes Finally "Worth It?"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by neospark1, Oct 5, 2012.

1. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With a retail increase of approximately 50% this year (yes I am keeping prices compared to the approximate $10 range) one must begin to wonder where does one begin to scale back or even eliminate buying this size class of our beloved Transformers.

If nothing had physically (size of the deluxe class figures) changed, or if other physical changes (to be discussed further below) had not been made to the deluxe scale figure class, then the jump to $15 plus for a Deluxe Class Figure would be just that much easier to swallow.

But things HAVE changed with the Deluxe Class Transformers.

There has been a decrease in the size of the figures we are buying of what I would approximate 10-15% on average. Transformers Prime Knock Out is one glaringly huge decrease in the overall size of the Deluxe Class Scale figures.

Our paint apps for our Deluxe Class figures have also greatly been decreased. Compare even the last batch of Generations figures such as Wreck-Gar or any other previous generation figures. Move even more back in time and suddenly one waxes nostalgic about how beautifully painted our Deluxe Class figures used to be. Beast Wars anyone?

Moving in time again and Transformers Prime and Deluxe Class Rumble. I can only imagine how many times the poor Decepticon is going to be rear- ended. Not having painted taillights will do that to you.

Which brings me to the 3rd Deluxe Class issue so to speak. Granted this is showing up on the larger class figures... but this is the third and what I consider the most (to me at least) damning injustice to our Transformers figures. It is what I call the "Hollow Man
    Sndrome."

Look at the back or sides of your Transformer arms and inner thighs and back of legs. What used to be for many many many years a solid piece of plastic. Now turn Transformers Prime Rumble around and it looks like a Sharkticon dined on him.

And finally we now have Hasbro using "clip on wheels." While common cost cutting measure for many knock off toys, this just should not be. These wheels do not roll very if at all and I am just waiting for one of these clip on wheels to pop off and be swallowed by a toddler. Hello.... paging Hasbro legal.

So my friends we seem to be at a cross-roads of sorts. A product once selling with an average $10 figure jumps overnight so to speak to $15-$16. The Deluxe Class figures have been decreased in physical size... paint apps dramatically reduced. ... the actual mass of the figures decreased (that hollow man syndrome) and finally... clip on tires.

Again if none of the above changed and Hasbro said folks we have been at $10 for 20 years, I could understand and swallow that. But it is NOT that. We are in essence paying 50% more about 50% less of a product. I last look at "Deluxe" class figures on the shelves and sigh and cringe ....making very hard choices about which Deluxe Class figures I buy... if any in the future.

Wow... suddenly I hear Beast Wars Trantulas laughing manically right after Optimus Primal uttered "Die cast construction. Its a lost art

I now look fondly back at "rubber vs plastic tires seems" and feel... lucky.

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    There's a couple of thing here:

1) Whilst there's been a marked price increase is it REALLY 50%?

2) Knock out does compress a fair bit.

3)Clip on wheels....if you're referring to Weaponizer Bumblebee (can't think of any others?).... those clips are also shoulder clips, IIRC. So i'm not sure how much that design was informed by cost saving.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Oh look. It's this thread again.

4. Donnie707

Donnie707 Well-Known Member

I agree. Foc prime makes G2 prime look like a heavyweight boxer. Is there a way we can complain to hasbro and something be done about it? Or are we just wasting time?

5. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

If you're alluding that FoC Prime resembles an MMA fighter in comparison, then yes.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    RID Deluxe Vehicon, Deluxe Knockout, Weaponizer Optimus, Weaponizer Bumblebee are the ones that spring to mind with clip on wheels.

Not that I minded at all when making the Vehicon and Knockout wheels removable means I can paint the disc brakes appropriately.

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same goes for FOC Prime and Jazz, not that it bothers me tbh (from a cost/assembly point of view it makes sense).

8. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

There's been a 50% increase since RotF. By DotM they were no longer $10 universally. Since Deluxes are now at least $15... yeah, 50%, but not in one year.

9. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Well as far as i observe, nowadays kids don't get many deluxes as they got a fews year ago let alone voyagers, because their parents doesn't want to spend that kind of money on nearly middle-finger sized toys which will break easily (unless it's like a 50% off sale). They generally buy cyberverse legends. So, if Hasbro keeps selling those toys, it can do so because of mainly adult collectors. And i only buy stuff if i feel it's worth it. Luckily, i am not a completionist.

So, if you stop buying them, or spending money on that crazy scalper and after-market prices, they will have to eventually drop the prices or increase the quality.

Btw, deluxes are 20$, and voyagers are 34$ here, but i guess what i said will pass for USA market as well to some degree at least.

10. GataKiriBaOOO

GataKiriBaOOO Got to Keep it Real

inb4 someone outside the US complains about US people complaining about prices.

But I definitely agree with you, neospark. If you even compare the recent GDO Generations to the recent Prime deluxes, there is marked decrease in paint and plastic content. Even with the few hollow bits of plastic that say, Wheelie has, a figure like Kup or Rumble has a lot more.

That isn't to say they aren't great figures, but the bits that you can see gaps for miles and miles are much greater than they were.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Prices last year were only $10 around the holidays when retailers were attempting to move as much stock as they could before the bottom drops out of the toy market in January. If I remember correctly deluxe figures were running in the $12 to $13 range because people were complaining about figures costing more than $10.

It's also way too easy to pick one or two figures out of a line to make a distorted point. For example you could take the classics style Kup and say that figures were too tall in that wave. While Knock Out has some real issues there also figures that are kind of spot on like how Soundwave have a weird design but his toy is really close to his cartoon look.

I will agree there has been a lot of cost cutting and some times that cost cutting has hurt figures that would have looked better if Hasbro didn't go cheap.

Still looking at 3rd party prices I feel like $15 for a deluxe figure isn't too bad. It's not like the figures are breaking the bank since new releases are spread out so much lately. Doesn't hurt that you can skip some figures as well without feeling too bad, I've got War for Cybertron Prime so why would I need Fall of Cybertron Prime?

12. Ravage101

Ravage101 Well-Known Member

I just read on Seibertron.com that people are seeing even higher increases in figures, now $17.98 per deluxe.

Honestly this has changed my collecting habits dramatically. First it was the crappy development of the the Prime figure line and canceling the designs in the "1st editions" then the high prices. So now I have shifted my buying habits to what we get to see from last year pop up at Ross and Marshal stores. Figures are now back to a normal price there. Since I only bought like 3 DOTM figures in general retail last year this kind works out for me. So what I'm really saying is that if any of these figures find their way to ROSS or Marshels next year then I might think differently about buying.

Until then I'll look at the toy sections of Walmart and Target to see what I might get at the discount store later.

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This was my reaction.

14. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I know I'm only picking up figures that are in TF Prime. If they aren't in the show, I don't get them. Also, more of my money is going to Takara and 3rd party. Hasbro is definitely charging more for less. I can live with that for TF Prime, I suppose, but when it comes to FOC it chafes me a bit, but if they keep the size small when/if they get back to Generations 'Classicverse' (aka CHUG) figures I will not be happy at all. I'm holding off buying 3rd Party figures that are coming out that are 'Classics' style to see what Has/Tak does. If they continue their current trend, I'll go 3rd party.

15. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's about hitting a price point. Materials and labor goes up, you have to find ways to keep it at that price. Hasbro's suggested retail price is still $12.99-$14.99. Retail can change that as they see fit.

Demand for this junk is lower than ever. There is no real media support, and no advertising to speak of.

16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

You guys ever think about long term trends? Stagnant wages, rising prices. Playsets went away first, sometime in the 1990s (yes, I know some pop up now and then, like the 2002 Grayskull or 2012 TMNT sewer). Big spike between ROTF Devastator and AEC Supremes. No supremes in Prime. In fact, no leaders or ultras either, unless you count that Cyberverse base. Speaking of Cyberverse, the last time we had so many small toys was when Micromasters took over G1 in 1989. So the prices are shifting up and the sizes are shifting down. Neither trend can really continue forever. Eventually toys will get too small or prices will get too high. Then what happens?

17. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I was honestly optimistic about this thread, since the title implies that deluxes are now "worth it", then it became "one of those threads"...

18. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I honestly don't see why it warrants its own thread and can't be placed in one of the other millions of "WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!" threads.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Now, I am going to say this.

Even with the dropping quality of Deluxes (size is arguable, but they are definitely losing paint apps and complexity), Deluxes were vastly, vastly underpriced at $10. That was a huge steal. Even now, $15 is pretty reasonable price for what you get. It's just that we're wired to expect them for cheaper, which is a shame.

TFs are wonderfully posable figures, full of references, and transform to boot. They usually have accessories or weapons. Look in the toy aisle and try to find something for $15 with near that much value.

Sometimes we do have to take a step back. Going by the title, I thought that this would be the point o fthe first post.