Are Cyberverse commanders really good value for money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rotorstorm, May 17, 2011.

1. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I can't speak for Europe's sucky price situation, but as far as the actual toys in question:

I got Sentinal Prime, Blackout and Powerglide. They aren't bad figures on their own merits (and work GREAT with existing Legends, be it movie or Classics), but $8 is a tad expensive for what I'm getting, IMO. Granted, it's better than the $9.50 price my Walmart was running scouts during Rotf, but considering how much smaller they appear (not sure if it is merely proportion or they are actually using less plastic), I think $7 might have been a little easier to swallow.

I think the real question is whether this concept will be long term. If long term, I can easily see the designers "getting their feet under them" and knocking out some fantastic figures (as we ended up seeing in Legends). But as a whole, the entire Cyberverse segment (hell, anything not "core line/Mechtech") has the perception of being overpriced.

I blame retailers for that. They are so eager to steal customers from each other they mark down deluxe, voyager and leader for quick sales, it completely throws out of whack any "value equation" Hasbro was trying to do with the rest of the stuff.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I had a situation somewhat like that a short while back where I wanted a particular PCC two-pack from a store and it cost £9.95 (normal retail usually £7.99) and right next to it were Deluxes for £9.99 (normally £12.99) and Voyagers reduced to £14.99 (normally £22.99). So the price for the Scout felt really unfair when placed directly beside the reduced price other size classes. Sure it might not have felt so bad if the PCC was the £7.99 it should have normally been, but in this particular situation it was really sucky to have the class prices so out off kilter because of reductions in the others.

3. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Blackout is the only one "blowing my skirt up" at the moment but, I think I will wait for a sale.

4. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I like the look of some of them, especially Blackout and Powerglide, but I'm kind of wary of Cyberverse figures ever since I got preview Optimus Prime. I picked him up on sale, but he still didn't seem worth the price.

Personally, I would rather get a Deluxe figure for $12 than two Cyberverse figs for $16.

5. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Personally i love the commanders and plan on picking up more. While the price point is not justified by the amount of material in them i think the detail and engineering does justify it.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am obviously in the minority here. I really like this new size class and I've picked up all that I've seen so far (Sentinel Prime, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Ironhide). I can't really put my finger on it but they're "fun"

7. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i really like the look of the blackout. i think its the color they chose, it matches the premium blackout from the 1st movie perfectly.

8. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    From my experience, I like them but I don't love them. They're like a slightly larger legends class figures. Optimus prime is OK, but the cab not locking in is slightly annoying to me. Sentinel Prime impressed me for what it is. I still haven't opened Blackout or Powerglide yet.

9. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Took the words right out of my mouth. And it's only the sig.

10. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I was long at them today really liked them, but couldn't justify the price of £9. Intende to get something DOTM but walked away. Everything seemed so small for the cost.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I think it is because they are aimed to a younger audience (basically, the same kids who buy Legends). I liked them because, as you said, they are just FUN.

I don't have to spend 15 minutes pouring over an instruction sheet to change them, they're small, portable, and just less of a hassle than many larger figures have ended up being (especially the Leader class, IMO)

12. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

Tehy are so much more detailed than the $5 ones. Wayy worth it to me. Especially Blackout :) 

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We talked about them in your thread, too... I have to see it myself, but couldn't find Blackout :cry  So they are more intricate than, say, ROTF Scouts?

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    It does lock, you're not retracting the legs enough. It takes some force, but you'll hear a click.

15. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

They definitely are not at least in here in Australia IMO, some retailers are selling them at $19 the exact same price as the HA Basics and only 4 dollars less than a deluxe... The playsets however are strangely only a couple dollars more so I guess they are good value for money. Still, there are some figures who are just so damn cool (mainly Blackout) who I could kinda justify the price tag for.

16. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the cyberverse figures for what they are, however I don't know about the price. They seem a bit pricey. Though the optimus and megatorn ith their trailers look really neat, if I pick any up from this line it'll be those two.

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To put it simply, out of the six figures I bought on Monday, including Voyager Megatron, Commander Ironhide takes the cake by far. And that's no lie.

18. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ive been eyeing these guys every time Im at the store and just cant bring myself to spend the $8 on them. I do think they look really cool. I think for me anyways its not so much that they are expensive as it is the deluxes at least at Walmart are cheaper. With a deluxe being $10 and cyberverse at $8, it makes them feel over priced. As stupid as it sounds if deluxes were like $12-13 bucks Id probably be more inclined to buy some cyberverse.

19. PropagandaWar

PropagandaWar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got Powerglide today. Ironhide and blackout look tight Prime Sentinal are passes. Gotta wait to see megs though.

20. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cannot stress that enough. I have Legends, Deluxe, Voyager and FAB Ironhides from different years and the Commander one beats them all hands down