Are Cyberverse commanders really good value for money?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rotorstorm, May 17, 2011.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yesterday I went shopping at Medowhall is Sheffield and following discovery that The Last Picture Show (The only comic book /import shop in there) had closed I went in search of The Entertainer where I found some of the first wave of DOTM namely voyager Optimus, deluxe Bumblebee and Cyberverse commanders Optimus and Sentinel Prime. The toys look OK, by looking at them they are obviously larger legends class toys due to the amount of detail present and the lesser articulation than those of the now demised scout class. All well and good but at sight I would expect them to cost less than the scout class and occupy a price slot of £6 but not much more with the regular Legion class (rebranded Legends) being roughly £4.

That's what I would be prepared to pay yet I was astounded to see the price at £9 for Commanders. To reiterate my point up until now Deluxes have been widely available for between £10 and £15 and scouts at £6/£7. How can the price hike for commanders be considered fair when:

A) They are obviously lesser toys than what came before and
    B) They are a couple of quid less than the new deluxe price point.

What do you think? Plastic cost might might have gone up but not to the extent where I would find the price of these scout size Legends to be acceptable, especially in the current economic climate.

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Wow that seems a bit steep, wonder what that will work out to in Euros across the pond, but I'm thinking €Yikes! All I want from that assortment is Megatron though, but at that price I could be waiting a while to pounce.

3. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

I expected them to be Scout price but they're halfway between Scout and Power Core Combiner price for me. Probably a bit pricey, but I just couldn't pass up on Ironhide, who in Scout scale fits perfectly with the Legends cars. Probably only get the ones you really want then.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I'll probably get Powerglide if I see him, but other than that, I'll stick to hunting the bigger fish.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    They're fun toys, no doubt, especially Megatron. However, the price is pretty steep as you don't get much extra for the price.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be fair, it's not like the majority of these toys are "good value for money" anyway, or that size is always the best measurement for comparing one figure to another either. Taking that into account (aka, since this is a hobby), I'm pretty indifferent. I mean sure, I'd rather get a scout that's slightly larger for the price, but some of my favorites are small, and they really serve the same purpose.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    They're certainly not Scout-level in terms of engineering/poseability, so yeah, they're slightly overpriced. But they're so fun, so...

8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

for $5 they are SWEET. $8 i dont know...

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't feel they're worth full price. I felt the same way about PCC, getting picky in my old age.

Hopefully they're plentiful enough to wait for a sale. We have multiple TRUs in town, plus Target is hq'd here. YMMV with this strategy, of course.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I know the price put me right off buying them. If they were normal Scout price, or maybe a quid below that then I'd have been all over them.

11. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I want to try some, but the they are overpriced. More than scout price, but less scout level engineering? No thanks

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As much as I love Cyberverse, that is a tad outrageous.

13. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I'm a whore for collecting multiple size points, and cyberverse happens to fit the bill.
    I dig the almost-scout-quality engineering and poseability, wrapped in a slightly bigger legends package.
    I think it's a nice middle ground, myself.
    FWIW All sizes outside of Leaders seem to be getting smaller. My DotM Barricade is as big as RotF Mudflap ;_;

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I think I care more about Cyberverse (Legions & Commanders) because they are characters I care for, unlike Scouts. That's why I don't mind paying more. Cyberverse Optimus > Scout Robocar Max

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only one that look like well worth the money to me is Blackout. Though Megs and recently revealed Prime repaint look nice, too. With HA basics about the same price I'm more tempted to get those instead.

16. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

100% agreed. I always wondered why Scouts never featured any main characters, but Cyberverse fills that space now. I really need to pick up some Commanders when I get the cash needed...

17. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    they are cool, but as of now they are only a dollar or two shy of being the same price as a HA basic or deluxe.

18. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I think they're a pretty poor value for the money at their current price point. I can't seem to stop myself from collecting them though.

19. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I heard rumors that the commander size is slightly smaller than the old scout size so I don't really like the commander size. I am only getting commander powerglide bec. I don't believe he will come out in mechtech later on. I will not buy legion crowbar police car and commander hatchet jet unless at the end of the mechtech line, Hasbro decided not to put out crowbar police car and hatchet jet in the mechtech line.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i bought all 6 out (for $5 each).

they look real nice for being so small. not much posability. kinda like an upscale legends line. too expensive for 8 bucks.