Are Crossovers more popular than TF Universe and Animated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bumblethumper, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I was just looking at the latest batch of Crossovers, meh, and naturally enough the question comes to mind. Why are they still making these?

I've bought some in my time. I think I've satisfied that curiosity. I'm unlikely to buy them again. But I don't particularly mind their existence.

Anyway while we don't see sales figures for toys, the most obvious answer to the question is that they continue make them because people continue to buy them. So. Should we therefore conclude that there is a bigger appetite for Crossovers, than for the transformers based on actual transformer characters from TFA and TF Universe?

I suppose that's possible, and I can accept if that's the case. It just seems a strange state of affairs. I would've thought Crossovers would be a weird niche thing at best.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Hasbro continues Crossovers unlike other TF lines, assuming the Crossovers line isn't really competition for the movie line and will sell to a different fanbase than regular transformers.

thoughts?

2. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

Crossovers?

You mean something like this?

[​IMG]

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    all i know is that except for 3, the star wars ones SUCK HUGE MONKEY BALLS

the marvel ones are frickin amazing, i love the two i got and i want more.

they don't sell well around here at all. i am the only one that will buy the marvel ones around here and nobody touches the star wars ones

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    never bought one, never will i don't think, the swtf ones seem to sell ok, not as fast as tfa or universe did in my area though

5. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Only Marvel one I want is Captian America...wish they would release Deadpool

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Never been interested in them. I never thought they looked that great. I'm sure they're a pretty decent transformer though cuz they've been around for sometime haven't they?

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    The SWTFs are hot around here. The Marvel ones, not so much.

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i highly doubt theyre more popular than animated or universe.. i dont own em, and dont plan on.. i know some people do, but no way theyre more popular, imo

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    the captain america one is frickin amazing, it makes a great prime/convoy

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    TFA: yes
    Universe: no

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    tfa sells way better here than crossovers

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I do not care for any of the crossovers as the ones with human head are horrible looking and Bot modes are often strange as sacrifices are made for the alt modes the only crossover id consider getting his the Hulk/tank one as it looks good in both forms and even then id only get it if its on discount

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I highly doubt they outsell any of the main Transformer lines. It's probably more of a case of Crossovers falling outside of the jurisdiction of the main TF team and therefore they don't have to be sacrificed to crank out more movie toys.

14. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    :lol  That's what my friend and I say.

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I picked up the SWTF Luke Skywalker/Snow Speeder (I think that's it), and was sorely disappointed... girlfriend reminded me, "Well, it's a Star Wars toy, really." I think she's right on the money... they're Star Wars toys that transform... they're not Transformers toys.

I have no experience with the Marvel crossovers... Some of em look cool, but I've decided I want to keep my transforming robots to... well, look like robots.

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yep, and i bet the three you all say are good are the deathstar/vader, mellinium falcon two pack, and cody/turbo tank

17. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Which 3 would you consider the good ones? I ask because I'm a huge Star Wars fan and wouldn't mind picking up a few.

EDIT: :lol  Nevermind, I just saw your above post.

18. guard convoy

News Credits:
    ok :lol  i want the deathstar and turbo tank BADLY......i got the luke skywalker/x-wing and the mellinum falcon and the x-wing SUCKS....how do i got the opinion of the others you ask? i have read tons of reviews

19. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I hate how the bot modes are made to look like Star Wars characters. They would have been a hundred times cooler if it was supposed to be characters from the Transformers universe who scanned Star Wars vehicles. Millennium Falcon that turns into Optimus Prime, Death Star that turns into Megatron, etc....

20. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    The Crossovers are huge shelfwarmers here.

They're made because of a relentless, irrational desire to cash in on profitable franchises. Marvel is a very profitable franchise, with their figures selling extremely well. Transformers is a profitable franchise, with its figures selling extremely well. So, the soulless marketing departments of both companies logically conclude that combining the franchises... no matter how ILLOGICAL it is, would result in a figure line that would sell absolutely GANGBUSTERS.

What they GOT was a toyline that only appeals to the intersection of the two markets, the fans that buy and like both Transformers and Marvel figures. However, they likely already made many of the molds, and SOME bright young executive has been given the helm of this project, and is DETERMINED to make it work. And given that it's Marvel AND Transformers, it's probably easy to convince stores to provide space for it, despite it not selling well in the past.

It's like Peanut Butter and Steak, two great tastes that have NO BUSINESS being together.