are console rivalries still important to gamers nowadays?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by gregles, Oct 8, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

I have childhood primary school memories of it being a big deal whether you played snes or megadrive and at secondary school friendships could have been made or broke over your preference of playstation, saturn or n64 and so on. Is this still a big deal to modern gamers like us? Most modern games appear on multi formats and are of similar quality and offer similar online experiences, has this stopped bickering? I know companies like sony, nintendo and microsoft are buissnes rivals but do gamers still care enough to argue over such things?

is any of the following statements relevant to you or of people you know. are you PC player who looks down on console ports? have you a strong sweeping generalisation of all Wii players? do you obnoxiously gloat and brag like crazy when they announce some extra ps3 exclusive material which a xbox player is going to maybe wait till they are DLC content if they are lucky. Do you feel an urge to rub rival console owners faces in it if an amazing looking new game is an exclusive to your console.

I haven't followed gaming culture that closely recently and I would love to know what you think?

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That sounds very superficial. Friendships broke or made because of your preference?
    We'll I only have a dislike for XBox because it's by Microsoft. And I miss the good old SEGA. And I miss real Arcade games.

3. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    I don't care about rivalries. I play both SEGA and Nintendo, both Sony and Microsoft. They all try to deliver what's best for their customers.

4. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I think it is still relevant/important. Not in a social sense, but a mechanical sense. Why do you think we are getting HD for the Wii-U? Nintendo heard people loud and clear that they lacked in that regard compared to Xbox 360 and PS3.

And yes some people still argue about it. Its like rooting for your sports team, car make, band, etc. You stand with whats you choose. It's always entertaining.

5. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I don't think they matter so much. As optimegatron said, it's about what these companies do to please their customers.
    I was a huge Nintendo kid, loved ALL of it. Then, I moved to Xbox in late '09, because the Wii was lacking for me. The Wii could have been MUCH better, we all know it. That, and Xbox had Halo. But now, Nintendo is slowly winning my heart back. Though I can say I will never give up Xbox.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They're about as important as Android vs. iOS.

Not at all.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    According to the PS3 and XBox360 on my shelf, with my wife's Wii between them, I'd say its all a bag of shit these days captain.

8. gregles

gregles quintesson

it seems to be that in this generation consoles whether brought pre-owned or new have become affordable enough for most of us to be able to own multiple consoles. When the next generation starts and new consoles are back up to £300 or more and financially most of us are going to have to pick one or the other, could this affect things?

9. AMG

AMG Old School

Fanboys still exist in full force, just look around any gaming forums and you'll see it.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a PS3, but the only thing that's stopping me jumping ship to Xbox is having to pay to play online. No thanks.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah, take a stroll over to gamefaqs and see just how bad console loyalties still exist. fun to troll those boards though, like lighting a match in a room filled with dynamite and candy coated in kerosene.

my last "loyal" generation was snes. I still love that system to death. but after that I pretty much branched out in my high school days.

I'm am going wii u though for probably my last console. I just enjoy pc gaming much more these days and wanted to get one last console my wife and I could still have fun with on the tv. I still have my 360 and ps3, but I don't think I'm going to move on to the next-gen with whatever they go to. Much more practical for me and my work to stick with PC gaming, where I can do both on one system.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Victory.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Unlikely: the loyalists will more than likely just trade up, adventurous types might switch sides but anyone who cares to own all three will simply wait for the less expensive units with most of their bugs ironed out that will appear later.

14. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I used to be a total Sega fanboy since I was like 14 back in 1991. Had the Genesis/Sega CD/32X. Couldn't afford the Saturn when it came out, but kinda glad I missed out on that total abortion. Was totally heartbroken, though, when the Dreamcast crashed and burned.

Nowadays I'm not much of a console loyalist. I kinda root for Nintendo because they made good stuff since I was little. I got an Xbox 360, a Wii, a 3DS and next month, I will have a Wii-U. But in all honesty, all three of my consoles haven't seen much use in the last six or seven months as everything I been interested in lately has been on PC.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

There's no reason for this, especially since it's fairly common for gamers to own multiple systems now. People are going to enjoy their games regardless of the console.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  16. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

This thread deserves a mention of the old sega commercials.
    "What Sega does,NintenDon't"

17. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

The only thing that determines which console I buy is its exclusive games.

To answer your question no, none of those statements apply to me or anyone I know.

As far as I'm concerned, screaming at people over the Internet saying that your console is the best and theirs is a piece of crap is one of the most immature ways to support the console you purchased.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

No, and it sounds dumb. I've got friends and relatives who got a PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, no complaints here. Anyone is entitled to their gaming console of their preference.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Whoever runs Sega thesedays should be made to watch those adverts in a room full of laughing Nintendo executives on a daily basis.

20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Console rivalries are stupid.