Are Classics/Universe/Generations lines too "messy" for you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Do you feel like these lines aren't focused enough for you?
    I'm actually thinking of selling off all of my toys from these lines...
    They just feel too scattered and seem to only fill part of my wants...

I tried being selective with these, by going after accurate G1 84-TFTM representations.
    But even that seems messy and only partly satisfying.

What about you?

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't understand what you mean by messy.

3. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

No I do not find it messy. And what line is more focused aside from the original G1? I'm sure they'll eventually touch upon most of the cast. And if not, you likely won't find them elsewhere anyhow.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I collect what I like and don't get caught up in the "this belongs to this" nonsense. So I'm good with what I got from the Classics/Universe/Generations.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Must be the completionist in me...
    These lines just stand out as being disorganized compared to my other completed lines.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I think they were great for the most part up to this point. A couple of them were a stretch for me (Powerglide and his repaint, galvi), and some of the repaints were off (Hardshell and Skyfall) which were made solid by add-on kits. But the recent figures like Drift, Darkmont, Seaspray, Banzitron really have little interest for me in my classic-verse. I will reserve judgement on the ones we have only seen in crappy photos, but some of the ones we have been waiting for just don't seem like they are gonna quite fit the bill at first glance. We shall see.

That said, I don't think it has been too bad at all, I think most of them have stayed loyal to their roots and given us a lot of updated favs. Really would like a city or two and combiner or two in the future.

7. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

I understand what he says. The line has complete G1 representation of characters (Cyclonus, Hotrod, Bumblebee, Prowl, Jetfire, etc.) mixed with equivalents or interpretation of some of them (Prime, Grimlock, Mirage)

I, for one, would like to have something like what the MOTUC fans have: an accurate representation of exactly what they used to have back on 1982, but with the engineering of today.

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

no,not feeling the messy/disorganized vibe.

9. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I think that's the whole point of the line now is to NOT have one style.. thus WFC figures, Drift, Thrust etc etc

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

No, I personaly go with the idea that "Classics" was never explicitly stated to be absolutley G1 (even though it kinda was). Universe tried to expand upon that by including characters from other series such as Dinobot and Hot Shot. Generations is, in my opinion, realizing what Universe was trying to be: a selection of characters throughout TF history over the past 25 years brought to toy form (or new toys).

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I like to just buy Transformers from before the movie for the most part but I don't mind CHUG. Its my favorite line so I can't picture myself selling them but it would be nice if they could finish the original line up.

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I think some of the actual toy designs are a little out there... Maybe I'm just mad that they turned Astrotrain into a dildo instead of a steam powered locomotive.

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

:lol 

They also made Grimlock into a jackass. At least they made up for that one with his MP fig though.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I see your point. This most recent like, Generations, really seems to be branching out as far as characters, which is evident by the WFC figs. The original Classics line stuck to G1 characters only it seemed, so I see your definition of "messy" being valid. I for one enjoy the line.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Eh, while I love the line, I see where you're coming from; in the way the line spans several continuities (G1, BW, AEC, and WFC), and in the peculiar scale decisions of a few of the figures (although I love big Powerglide, a Voyager Galvatron and Grimlock would have been preferable), I guess I could see how some would consider it messy.

Also, since the line is a sort of perennial filler, that crops up ever year between main lines, there is slight mis-match in the engineering of some figures; some of the first-wave figures like Rodimus and the Seekers feel a little primitive when compared to later releases. But then, aesthetic and engineering mis-matches are certainly nothing new for a TF line!

The only part of Classics/Generations that feels "messy" to me, though (at least in the way I think you mean it), are the AEC repaints. Most feel a bit out of place to me, since they were clearly shoehorned in there and not really intended to be the characters they represent most of the time: figures like Dropshot, Heavy Load, Blaster, Springer, and Overload are a bit hard to categorize sometimes. But then you've got great ones like Countdown, Ratbat and Blades that kinda make up for it.

When it comes right down to it, most Transformers lines are a bit messy, aren't they? :)  Many of them cannibalize from earlier lines and insert strange, out-of-left-field filler characters. In a lot of ways it is part of their charm, I think.

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Whatever Higher Power some fans believe in forbid that Hasbro improves their designs, engineering and sculpts for new product compared to lines that where released a couple years ago

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Am liking all the variety, can see what you're saying though *looks at giant Powerglide*

18. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

They are messy. Sell some to me.

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I just might! :lol 

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i see some of the messiness in figures like powerglide, wish he would get a legends fig too