Are Botcon dealers expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Deceptigtar, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi guys. So hopefully 08 will be my first Botcon and super excited. I really want to get the con exclusive set and more. But I wanted to know, are alot of the dealer booths expensive? Do they charge alot for toys, am I better off getting things of ebay and the boards? I want to go and enjoy all that the con has to offer, but dont want to only be able to afford a few things and feel intimidated by dealers, though I am sure I would find a few gems.

Thanks all.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I've heard that you need to look for deals, don't expect them to come to you. Also, bring a list of what you want AND the price you're willing to pay (based on current ebay prices, etc.) so you don't get too caught up in the fun and overspend. I'm sure others that have been to the con can offer more information than that, but that's what I've picked up during my time here.

3. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What SB said is pretty much on the money.

In '06, the prices were generally decent - around eBay prices (give or take $10). However, last year, it was really jacked up. Granted - eBay prices have gone up too, all due to the movie. I expect this year to be the same. Hopefully at some point prices will go back to pre-movie levels, but who knows.

But even with last year's general too-high-for-my-tastes, I still found a few awesome deals. I got reissue Star Convoy for $50, 2 Beast Wars Returns toys for $10/each. That was all from the same dealer though.

But yeah, there are deals to be found. But with the movie it's getting harder to find them.

4. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Keep in mind this comes from a first-timer during the movie hype year:

Yes, they're expensive unless you get really lucky. People posted some really crazy deals here last year that I had a difficult time believing actually happened*. Everything G1 was ridiculous, triple digits for really scraped up 1985s with no weapons, etc. 20th anniversary stuff was steep too and even the Superlink overstock was priced like when it was a hot import. They also had a guy trying to sell very badly warped G2 Dinobot for $250+ each. Hell, even Tonka GoBots were up there (I can't get enough GoBots and even _I_ balked at most of them).

On the other hand, they're not really much _more_ expensive than anywhere else. Time was, you could buy a vintage Prowl for the "obscene" price of $50. I got Soundwave and Grimlock for under $40 years back and it was tough to justify then. Alot of toys from that era were routinely fetching triple digits on eBay even before the movie hype kicked into full gear though. This year might not be so bad, but lackluster exclusives could make for more competition in the dealer room.

Here's some advice that may help you out. Try to haggle a bit if you don't think the price is quite right. I got a few bucks off of just about everything I bought there. As long as it's not an insulting offer, you may be pleasantly surprised, especially if what you're after isn't super special (ie RiD Arctic Combaticons).

*Benefit of the doubt is given here, since I personally scored an unused MIB Brave Maximus for $200. I almost didn't go for it and then later everyone kept telling me what a steal it was while I was carting it around. So definitely do your homework before you go!

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Im going to be looking for mostly g2-armada stuff, do I have a better chance of sitting at home and ebaying it?

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada & most G2 stuff shouldn't be that expensive. Of course it depends on the character. You might even find great deals due to a dealer trying to dump his stock. Unless it is a rare varient or some other rarity, anything from RID up to now, most Transformers fans bought these items new in stores as collectors so if someone wanted it, they probably got it, so demand is much lower than G1 items (that many got as kids and trashed it or never got it).

Also keep in mind that with eBay, you are paying shipping. Usually $10 per item on top of the winning bid.

7. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:

I almost took that as an insult. I guess you don't remember me selling a Botcon Ironhide for $75 when at the time they were going for $150? LOL:D 
    Deals can be found definately. Also, you can go to the official 2005 parts party sponsored by myself and Gen1Fan. Every year, people continue to trade or sell parts and / or complete bots at reduced prices. Trust me it's the place to be. But I am getting away from the topic.

In short, you can find a lot of deals and some dealers are reasonable. Then again, some suprise even me and I haven't missed a Botcon since 2000! Try to get to every table as fast as you can but don't overlook a great deal. I know, how do you do that? Don't know but that is the trick. Get to the good deals before someone else beats you to it.

I will give you an example, I bought a Liokaiser Giftset for $350 and a Piranacon 6 bot set for $350. Both of which go for much much more. I was actually offered $500 for my Liokaiser at the parts night. I have witnesses from the boards. You can find a great deal if you look hard enough.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for everyones feedback so far. I really appreciate the responses!

9. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not all of us are Stupidly Expensive. (Tho there are a few who are) Time can play a good part in getting some good deals. In the early part of the show Everyone is looking for that toy they want and usually if it's hard to come by, or there are only a few in the room, then you're not going to get a good deal on it. (laws of supply and and demand) But, if you can wait untill the last day, or the toy you're looking for is plentiful, then you can usually make a good deal.

Another good piece of advice is the more you spend with a dealer, the more likely he'll give you a discount. If someone want's a deal on a $15.00 toy at my booth, I'm more likely to give it to them if they've already spent $100.00.

Just keep in mind that most of us dealers are fans/collectors too. Some of us set up and sell just to offset our expenses for the show and to get first crack at the good stuff in the room durring set up.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    '06 was a good year in the dealer room. I bought several sealed Action Masters (Over-Run & Axer) for $20 each along with several other good deals on things I was looking for. '07 was a completely different story. Granted I could only attend on Friday, but most of what I wanted to priced out of my "willing to spend" range. I did manage however to score a few Japanese exclusive Microns and a few other things for what I thought were great prices.

If you look hard enough you can find good deals like everyone else said. However, if you find something you want and it's priced decently - buy it...don't shop around too much b/c you'll run the chance of it not being there when you make your way back around.

You can also make a cash offer or offer up something in a trade since as Hiro Prime said a lot of the dealers are also collectors themselves. Can't recommend a set amount of $$ to take as it always seems like you can't take enough. Just have a list ready of what you want and a price you're willing to pay and have fun.

And oh, uhm, remember to shower and wear deodorant as a courtesy to everyone else in the room. Sometimes it gets packed and there ain't nothing worse than being stuck behind someone w/ a bad case of B.O.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    You could find good deals in the dealer room. One guy beat me by seconds on a loose complete God Neptune set for only $50.00. I was able to get Road Caesar brainmaster member for $60.00. I remember seeing a Quickswitch with one gun for $15.00, I didn't get it, and I with to other table and saw a loose one with no weapons for $20.00 so I went back to get the other one and it was gone. So if you see a good deal don't hesitate.