Are Arcee And Bumblebee Siblings?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Arcee, and just about all the robots, seemed to have a concept of biological family units. Even Starscream had a concept of a family unit when he told Agent Fowler that his family may grieve for him. Arcee seemed to have a concept of boy/girl love relationships. And when Raf asked the Autobots who made them, both Ratchet and Bulkhead had annoyed looks on their faces. Ratchet responded sarcastically by saying, "Oh pleeeeese!"

Arcee refers to Bumblebee as family and has a very close relationship with him. So it makes me wonder. In this series, are Transformers made, or are they born instead? It seemed to be that way in ROTF. If they are born, do they have siblings in the same manner as humans?

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    All Transformers are born in some way, and they're probably metaphorical family.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I took it in a "brothers in arms" sense, in that people serving in the same military unit view their comrades as "brothers". This could especially be the case when there's only 5 of you isolated on an alien world.

4. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I honestly wouldn't read too much into it, most of that is just the writers way of using a figure of speech. Arcee meant family as in "Team Prime is a tightly knit unit" and they have a strong bond of friendship. Starscream meant Agent Fowler's family will grieve for him. Prime said he thought of Megatron "like a brother" as in "Comrad" not "he is" a brother. In this universe it's still The Allspark/Matrix/Vector Sigma/Alpha Trion type of thing. of course, this show has yet to say who or what made them or gave them life so that's anyone's guess.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I look at it as more of that they consider eachother a family.

Ratchet's reation does suggest that there is more to the cybertronains then just being robots who gained sentience. How all that works, though, I don't know.
    Maybe that part of their past is just considered to be a taboo subject for them.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I think the more important question is what is it about Prime that is making people read too much into the relationships of the cast?

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Maybe it's because there actually is a relationship between the cast. It's throwing people off.

8. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, when people are friends for a long time and start to trust each other, they become family, like when i form a bond with my college roommates. another example is how cast members form a bond

9. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

QFT. Unlike the movies, where the robots are just background props to the Sam/Mikaela bad teen comedy love story (which I could utterly care less about), there are actually relationships among the robots and....gasp.....character development! They told the truth in South Park: Bay doesn't know the difference between ideas and special effects. And character relationships and developments are ideas.

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    To be fair, Michael Bay isn't a writer, he's just a director, and one that's well known to love kabooms.

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I echo the sentiments that it's more a metaphorical concept, at least in the arcee instance.

Although until we learn how transformers reproduce in Prime it'll always be possible.

12. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they all just see eachother as family. But Arcee and Bumblebee seem particularly close, so I wonder. And if they are born like in the movies, maybe they are sick of humans telling them otherwise and comparing them to their primitive machines. Ratchet probabely thinks the kids are just too young to tell them where robot babies come from. Unless they do a pregnant Arcee episode (shudders with fear).

13. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

That's why he should leave the story more to the writers rather than inject his military masturbation/robot leg humping/foul-mouthed Jar Jar twins into the movies. I am really faulting Bay more than Orci and Kurtzman now for the bad quality of the movies (especially ROTF). Orci and Kurtzman have produced some really good stuff like Star Trek. The quality of this series is testament to what they can do without Bay in the way. Bay should just stick to explosions.

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Transformers have always had familial relationships, like with Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, and Rattrap calling Arcee his "great-aunt", etc.
    This is nothing new, but it does raise some questions. Do they have the same metaphorical uses of the terms "brother", "sister", and "family" as we do? It's certainly interesting to think about.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

lol If they bring the concept of Budding into TFP, that'll be quite the homage.

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in this universe, "Budding" could just be their word for "sex". The slash fics do that stuff all the time. The common words for TF sex are "bonding" and "interfacing" with their "interface units". But when you read them, you know they are not referring to just plain plugs and wires.

17. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:

I always figured Transformer sex to be an embrace, with both chest compartments open, and a merging of the two sparks giving both partners fulfilment, and a chance for a third spark to branch off the pair - hence parents.

This is a really weird topic. :D 

18. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

Family, brother, sister, mother and father are all terms that Transformers may use to describe there relationships with others of there kind. But IMO there just using the closest human words they can find.

19. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I like the idea of their sparks merging. Either pieces break off of their sparks to form a new one or the two combined sparks creates a conduit, a portal, for a new spark to emerge from the matrix. To cause a new spark to come into existance, a male and female have to connect their sparks. To form a new body for that spark, maybe they have to connect their.....um.... "other parts".

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not really siblings, just really close. Their team is very tight-nit, which is why they were so sad over the loss of Ciffjumper.