Are any of the Beast Wars comics worth reading?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Rdfnd1253, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

SO I was browsing ebay and saw there were Beast Wars comics to buy.....are any of them worth buying and if so what series or issues do you recommend?

Thanks

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    If you liked the show, rather not. The comics are nothing like the show.

"The Gathering" is basically just an exercise in "How many of the non-show toy-only characters can we cram into four issues?" There's hardly any characterization to write home about, and the plot is just some convoluted "stop the bad guys from interfering with the show plot" mumbo-jumbo.

"The Gathering" ends with a setting that could potentially lend itself to an interesting, serialized plot similar to the show. Unfortunately, the direct sequel, "The Ascending", throws that potential right out of the window by cramming in all the Japanese-only characters and features a plot that requires everyone to return to Cybertron to stop a major threat. Imagine the BW show pilot had been followed directly by "Nemesis". It's almost as if they weren't interested in doing a longer, serialized story but wanted to wrap up everything immediately after setting up a potentially longer series.

The Sourcebooks are best avoided. An editorial mess, bad page layouts, glaring art errors, inconsistencies, weird changes to characterizations simply because the writers felt like it and wanted to enforce their own vision of a serious, grim Beast Wars cartoon where Waspinator was the sole humorous element.

3. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    What Nevermore said.

Pretty much a dismal failure. The only saving face of the comics I liked about it were the incorporation of non-show toy characters and BWII and BWNeo character cameos. The Ascending was the only saving face of the series. It was the link between the end of the Beast Wars show and the beginning of Beast Machines... Other than that, it's QUESTIONABLE CANON. Makes you wonder HOW to fit all the Beast Wars Cartoons into canon... Make of it what you will. There is a certain way to fit it all in canon, but no one will buy it...

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's all a mess. I was confused just reading those comics. I felt the artwork was pretty lifeless too.

I have the Source Books and have never finished reading them because they're kind of a mess too, for all the reasons Nevermore mentions.

I suppose anything is worth a read just to see how you feel about it all yourself, but personally I have little interest in ever going back to them again.

I suppose the best official Beast Wars comic strip you could find to read would be the one-shot Dreamwave one, which I think was some kind of Summer special that also had an RID strip in it too along with G1 and Energon ones.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Razorbeast was pretty badass in the first story at least, and there were some pretty sweet Cybertronian designs that we saw quickly.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The comics had their highlights and they definitely gave me an appreciation for the non-show characters. If you're expecting the comics to be similar and as good as the show ... be ready for disappointment.

7. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I liked the comics and it was cool to see the toy-only characters get some action, but it's not as good as it could be. Worth a read, yes, butprobably not worth paying too much for.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't mind them, and it was nice to see the Japanese shows get mixed with the American one, but it wasn't Furman's best work.

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would've used the comics for toilet paper, but my excrement would've been offended.

In addition to all the problems Nevermore listed, the book is written by Simon Furman, so each and every character talks just like Bad-Guy A and Good-Guy B in every other book he's ever written. In other words, what very, VERY little characterization we get is more or less lifted from his other work. And then Grimlock shows up, reminding us that this definitely *IS* Simon's baby. Avoid at all costs.

I always felt this way too. There would be no need to cram everyone in right away if they were planning a long run. To me, it felt like they just didn't give a damn. Crank out some of the worst comics I've ever seen- PERIOD- and slap the Beast Wars name on them. I should dig out these comics and do an issue-by-issue review on the whole steaming pile of dung.

10. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I haven't actually read these comics, but I've heard many times that they destroy all of Blackarachnia's character growth from the show. The BW comics tend to show up a lot in people's list of why Furman sucks at writing females.

You should. That would be entertaining. :) 

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Blackarachnia was in the BW comics?

12. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. My bad. :dunce  Thanks for the info!

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Just looking at the wiki here. I've never read the Universe comics myself, but I've heard the horror stories.

Wreckers: Finale part 2 (I guess this is where the Universe stories start)
    - written by Trent Troop and Greg Sepelak

TFU #1 Abduction (the one where BA is turned evil again)
    - script by Simon Furman
    - story by Glen Hallit and Dan Khanna

So I guess Furman did up the dialogue while Glen and Dan outlined the plot?

TFU #2 Escape
    - story and script by Simon Furman

TFU #3- Homecoming
    - script by Simon Furman (no mention of story being a separate credit this time)

TFU #4- Script Reading
    - written by Simon Furman

It looks like Glen and Dan did some of the initial setup with the Universe story, but Simon did all the rest.

15. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The gathering wasn't bad at all. I think people are to harsh on this comic. We finally have a leader who isn't a prime or even close to it. Hes a little guy with some personality (they really should have kept him around and used him). Now the ascending is a big pile of crap. Wish that story never happened and that they continued the beastwars.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    True, but it was nice seeing them bring Jap Beast Wars characters into the American continuity, especially for those who've never seen the Jap Beast Wars stuff.

17. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh for sure, I loved seeing all the new characters. But they had a real nice thing going on in gathering that could of easily introduced those same characters still being on earth. Magmatron is a pimp and he will always be one of my top beast wars characters because of the comics (hes still no megatron though).

18. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Furman would just tell you that they're not female anyway. :p 

Soon as I'm done with the little last bit of my homework, I'll give it its due review. :D 

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    They're just more proof Furman should be kept as far away from Beast Wars, or any non-G1 story, as possible. He knows nothing about the characters or what makes Beast Wars enjoyable.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Good thing Furman didn't pen the BW series finale or anything :mad