Are Alternators the most realistic Transformers design?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Mar 13, 2018.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I've heard and was told that the Transformers Alternator designs are by far the most realistic Transformers designs by far because they have working interiors and transformations that are little to no cheats as possible. It's said to be even more so then the movies so do you agree to this opinion and do you think it should be used for the TF movie reboot series?

My opinion is that while they make interesting toys I can't see them being good movie designs and it's because they would look too toy like and clunky.

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

They were made from officially licensed vehicls of course the alt modes are the most realistic.

I'm not sure how their designs looking like toys is any different than their designs being overly complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    As much as I love the Binaltech / Alternator toys, I don't really think they'd make good live action film designs. Draw inspiration from them? Absolutely, but copying them exactly? Not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators were probably my second favorite TF series behind G1. They are like Masterpiece-Lite figures...for $20 each. It's kind of amazing when you think about it. It would be interesting to see some CGI test footage using the designs. The licensing alone would probably be a nightmare, though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I think they would’ve been great for the films, the other line that I believe matches this for a bit smaller

I think they were called the Transformers: Alternity toy line

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    For one they'd look a hell of a lot more awkward in motion. Giant blocks of kibble, disproportionate limbs, etc. An average accurate-to-Alts TF wouldn't be able to bring their hands together or even sit down on anything.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Consider that you have realistic alt modes in MP and Bayverse toys... Quite a few bayformer cars alt modes don't equal binaltech/alternator only because this wasn't the focus of the line.

Toy technology progressed to the point when you don't really have to sacrifice that much of the robot mode for alt mode.

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    That absolutely describes Bayformers, though. The main difference being that Michael Bay and Hasbro decided to make the Transformers look like insects and trolls for some weird reason.

• Like Like x 1
  9. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the Mustang (and I don’t what character it stands for) and Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime is a great toy but the Mustang is pretty difficult to transform. They are both fun and pretty poseable though! Making a movie out of them would be a nice idea but I think people would like more modern vehicles to have a better image.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Most realistic vehicle modes, probably. But the licensed MP stuff is just as accurate and barely any less detailed, to the point that I'm not sure it matters. We're talking about stuff like whether there's an engine block under the hood. Most realistic transformations and fewest cheats? Nah. Alternator Tracks is basically the textbook example of fake vehicle kibble. The entire line is rife with hollow spaces, swingbars, giant flat panels, and shoulders that don't really attach to anything but hide the gap under a front fender. And as others have noted, the robot modes tend to be slightly worse than average about getting in the way of their own mobility.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

When it comes to the cars (and excluding the Hasbro-release version of the Honda S2000 which lacks the central drive axle/gun barrel for some reason), being they're all modeled on exact production models, yes they're highly accurate.

I wouldn't say as much about the interiors, though - just off the top of my head, you can pop open the trunk of the Scion xB (Skids) and the feet are RIGHT THERE.

Having accurate, open interiors also removes the actual bulk of mass from the figures as well, so the robots suffer greatly. The Tracks mold, for instance, doesn't actually have a spine - instead, it's only a wide section of plastic, the floorboard under the seats, which is a centimeter or two thick - and that's holding the entire upper half of the toy up. Otherwise, it's a massive exposed chunk of the body missing and looks rather poor from the side.

Alternators were meant to be Tranforming versions of essentially model cars, to which end they succeeded. However, the movies actually already made their own, generally much better versions in the sense of toys with the Human Alliance voyagers. You even have little people to fit inside the cars! Sure, the interiors aren't perfect because there's some robot crap in there, you're limited to GM vehicles for the most part, and Bumblebee has a permanent arm cannon, but in the sense of having robots that turn into vehicles you can fit humans into, the Human Alliance series was practically the successor to Alternators.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The Mustang is either Grimlock (silver) or Wheeljack (white).

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Yes, Alternators/Binaltech are the most realistic TF's ever made. It's not just because they're licensed, but perhaps moreso because the goal of the line was to have actual interiors and working features of model cars.The current MP's are also licensed, but often can't open their doors and/or hoods and even if they could there's nothing inside.

With Alt/BT the goal was to create a model car (hence the 1:24 scale, which was at the time one of the two most common scales in model cars) with all the features: opening hood, sometimes an opening trunk, working axeled steering for the front wheels, opening doors and interiors. Not each one was as succesful. With most opening the hood would reveal the engine block formed from the gun, but sometimes this wasn't correct. And especially the trunks were troublesome. Opening the doors would reveal interiors with at least two seats, a dashboard, steering wheel, manual brake gear poke and sometimes even a cupholder.

In a way Alt/BT was a return to the pre-TF beginnings of the G1 toys: designed first as car with the goal of making the car as accurate as possible, while the robot became what it became. The resulting robots thus aren't always the best (some notable exceptions that are really good, like the Mazda) and in most cases not as G1 accurate as many wished.

As for how it would look, there are video's on YouTube by ngSmoov with CGI animation using some MP's, some other figures and Alternators.

For example:

Is this better or worse than the movie designs we got? Personally, although I like the details of the current movie designs, they're often too generic and hard to tell apart. Not that I would prefer Alt/BT's being used, but a more common depiction than the movie designs I definitely would prefer.

14. God Orion

God Orion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wheeljack then! Thanks! I have the instructions but I was too lazy to have a look

15. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I agree, I know the movie stuff needs to look better than g1 but it is a mess when even main characters are fighting and you can't tell what's going on.

16. funkmonkey007

funkmonkey007 Bah weep gragnah

I think that Alternators provide an excellent proof of concept for the idea of a fully fledged car -with an interior, working steering, etc- can work in full scale and 1:24 scale. But, that same concept can work for any design. The only restrictions are scale, and realtion between the weight and strength of the material the Transformer is made of.
    The only reason we can't get perfectly screen accurate movie toys is because they're made out of plastic and a foot tall or shorter. If they were bigger, made of stronger materials, or designed by an engineering wizard, we could get physical representations of those designs. Alternators are made of are large and chunky parts, so they can be made of weaker materials like plastic in 1:24 scale and not break, unlike a 100% accurate movie design.
    But, in fiction where you're featuring sentient alien shapeshifting robots that are made of alien metal, they can be as spindly and wiry as the designers like and still not collapse on themselves because the physical attributes of trithilium or transformium are also whatever the designer's want them to be.
    Where the idea of live action Alternators gets interesting is the notion that Alternators might be simple enough to be recreated with practical effects. Or, some crazed engineer, who likes the Transformers and has too much time and money could, theoretically, build a real car that can stand up and walk around on its own.