Customs: Are Alternators Really the TF Red Headed Step Children?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by sstralkowski, Jul 2, 2009.

1. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

I remember a million and one Alternator customs out there when they were hot. Now it seems I have to pull teeth to get anyone to help me out with my commission. Yeah I know, who cares. Someone call me a Wahmbulance.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I think the timing and limited number of people available for doing commissions is what is hurting you. We just had a new toy set come out so lots of people are working on those. I really don't think there are that many people on here that regularly take commissions.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Alternators/Binaltechs are very cool. Unfortunately, I'm selling mine off so I can have some extra money.

Custom Alts/BTs were more common a few years ago, before the movie and Animated lines, and before the combiner craze.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Well, Alts are harder to get in comparison to the more recent Movie, Universe, and Animated lines (although I'm sure some customizers have a secret plastic crack-fortess hold FULL of Energon Wideloads and Cybertron Mudflaps for those Devestators). Try asking F_R, who's accepting commisions I think right now.

But here's a question for you: does it matter that whatever Alt. custom you want made is created from 100% Official Alternator toys? Because there are relatively good quality KO's of most Alternators that are easier to aquire for customs.

5. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

Hadn't thought about people being busy with the new toy lines. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of the movie or animated designs.

As for the parts, I pretty much have what I need. I want to take a Alt Prowl head and put it on an Alt Grimlock body and then paint it to look like G1 Smokescreen. I agree that KO's are a good way to go seeing as the parts I have are from KO's I acquired a while back.

6. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

I can't find anything in the search function by F_R. Says it's not a valid screenname.

7. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    the name you should be searching for is frenzy_rumble

8. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

Ah, already sent him a message with no response.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Give F_R time, he is a busy man as of late with ROTF hitting. He'll get back to you sooner or later.

Thing is as others have said, there are new toys out right now, so a lot of focus is being placed on them (Customs wise)

Also give it time on the commish request you have out there too....if someone is interested, they will get to with you and discuss the details....

And no, IMO, the Alt line is not the Red Headed step child of the TF line...the Alt line was one of the best, if not The Best line in the TF chain...again, just my opinion.

10. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

Thanks Plowking, I love the Alt line, too. Second only to the G1 line for nostalgia reasons. As for F_R, far as I can tell, he's one of the highest profile guys around here so I figured it'd take him longer to get back to me. It's only been 2 days and it's a holiday weekend. It just seemed like all the love for the Alt's had died and then another radicon suggested that people dislike working on them. Oh well. I'm out for the weekend. Enjoy the holiday, guys!

11. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    I strongly recommend you choose a binaltech grimlock for the base of your custom. nothing beats the cold casted metal feel on what is supposed to be a model of a real car. and plowking is right, the Binaltech line is a preeminent line in the TF toy universe. second only to the masterpieces. if you are going to do a custom, may as well use the best. =)

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    frenzy_rumble's a jerk, he doesn't write back to me either. Serious.

I'll check my pms now. best bet is always to send me a message directly from my site.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

14. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You know, Frenzy rumble is not the only one taking commissions:) 

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're a Wahmbulance.

I'd say this has the most to do with things. Over time, people's interest simply change. If one looks at the big picture of customs, it is easy to see the trends in customs. This isn't just popular lines being customed, but even the repeats of customs within that line. I think everyone has made an Alternators Prowl custom at some point with the Subaru Impreza WRX, for example. Let's certainly not forget the Nemesis Prime>Trailbreaker customs either . . . .

So common, in fact, that the Alt/BT customs gallery still remains our largest gallery.

We all have crack closets. Anyone wanna take a stab at what mine is? :lol 

The problem here is that the KOs generally cost just as much (if not more, in some cases) than Alts. I've seen some killer deals in the Junkion over the last couple of months for Alts (Satomiblood, just said he's selling his). Right now, getting Alts/BTs is a buyer's market. It's not always been like this, and I doubt it'll remain this way for long either, with people getting back into the line.

This is well-said. :thumb 

While the Alt line has gotten the shaft in a lot of different ways (/bad pun), I'd say that RiD is a good contender for the current "red-headed stepchild". I'd toss in the Legends line here, too. However, I really think the best candidate for this title is the Titanium line.

:) 

:lol 

QFT.

16. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    what odes QFT mean? Seriously, I have no clue.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Quality Future Transmissions.

haha jk
    it's quoted for truth (or thougth).

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It actually stems from supersquad for thee, as in, "Wow, supersquads, that's cool," and I reply "you've been tagged by 'supersquads again". It started happening so much that people would simply say "supersquads for thee!" I'm sitting here like, "huh?" because people are trying to talk to me. I keep saying, "I'M SuperQuad7!" Some of the Radicons just started saying "QFT" as a joke, and the rest is history.

supersquads strikes again.

QFT!

:) 

19. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Jarrod (or Jarod) does a lot of Alt comissions. I used to, but I'm tied up at the moment

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    [Billy Madison]Mr. Superquad7, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.[/Billy Madison]

It's Jarrod. :)