Are All These G1 Knock-Offs Legal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tycho, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Who's making these G1 knockoffs? I strongly doubt they are licensed.

Why doesn't Hasbro just come out with them if they own the tooling and there's obvious demand?

If the demand is too small, why (or does) Hasbro sub-let the license?

You know if these knock-offs were Star Wars, George Lucas' lawyers would be all over everyone BUYING them as well as selling them, most likely.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Most KO's are really cheap, so they don't see those as competition. The one's that are more high end, and more reissue like, are of one's that can't be reissued for one reason or the other. Like the Dinobots for example. Their origional molds were destroyed, and hence can't be reissued. The people that are making these KO's are taking the origionals, and basically making molds from those parts. Personally, I don't have a problem with these, or any other KO's for that matter. I collect not for an investment, but for the fun of it.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh God, not again...

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    These are BOOTLEGS kthnxbye

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    QFTW

There are K.O's out now of official toys in had, but none are complaining about that !.... Why is it always that when it's G,1 K.O'ing and those of quality people start bi-atching...

I think that Hasbro/Takara does 0 about the G.1 Bootlegs because the bootlegs attracts new customers to the official toys and newer TF line toys.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    In response to the topic title: No.

Nearly every previous topic on KO's degenerates into bickering and flaming over these. It may be easier - on everyone - to just browse through some old threads.

7. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Finally someone who knows the difference!!

8. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

:lolol :lolol :lolol 

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I just gave up on using the term. In the threads I participated earlier this year I was the only one or one of 2/3 people using that term. I'm glad there are people who haven't given up. Gives me hope to continue where I stopped.

10. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO, i really dont care... I like the ko's because of the old G1 style boxes.( brings back the good ol days )
    Hasbro will not continue making them, so i say Bring on the KO's. ( a little cheaper if possible )
    But i do say if your gonna bring them back, Start from the beginning.. quit jumping around....

11. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Yes these Knock offs are 100% legitimate!!
    They're genuine Knock Offs!!

12. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because they're made to look and feel exactly like the originals, and will get filtered into the market as originals. That grey and red Classics Megs or the huuuuge Beast Wars KOs or extremely cheap plastic combiners at dollar stores won't have that issue.

13. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

It is illegal what they are doing. But does anyone really care? NO.

Bootlegs/Knock-offs of Transformers have existed as long as Transformers have existed. Nothing will or can be done to stop them. So why fight it or worry about it. Its just a waste of time. Especially if Tomy-Takara or Hasbro don't do anything. Their the ones loosing money over them, not you. It they don't care why should you.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I'll throw my two cents in that I really don't care one way or another about these bootlegs. I Hasbro and Takara-Tomy aren't doing anything about it than short of your own personal dealings with these things I'd say to let them be. The people whom want them can buy them and those that don't just don't.

Honestly, I don't buy these bootlegs (even though I can vouch from personal experience that they're quality is on par with the original G1 stuff) simply because I know the difference and would feel wrong having something that wasn't an original on my shelf. Still, the announcement of Metroplex has me very very tempted. You can't get a MISB original for the price of the sealed bootleg.

On a side note; those whom complain about them not being able to tell the difference is a bit of a wash. There's always distinguishing differences between these bootlegs and the originals when it comes to packaging. And, we as collectors educate ourselves and each other so that fellow collectors don't get scammed by the guy trying to sell his bootleg as an original. We also inform others bidding on such auctions of the same things that we know so that they aren't scammed either. And that's all good and how it should be as the only time I don't like these newer bootlegs is when shit head eBay sellers attempt to pass them off as originals because it's harder for the general public (and some fans) to tell than those of us whom are in the know.

However, I think the thing that everyone should remember is that just because you don't like bootlegs doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't buy them if they're okay with them. It's their personal choice and they're welcome to it.

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Precisely!!

16. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Reopened.

17. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

Yep, Laser Optimus nailed it. Personally, I have no interest in buying any transformers that aren't genuine Takara/Hasbro....... Just my personal preference...to each his own..

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    So we have two different companies making knock off's now, this is crazy!

thought im starting to get very interested in what characters they're gonna do, if they have the original molds, or if they're reverse engineering the toys.. I still hate things lol but this is gotta so out of control, its fun keeping up with it all :p 

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't really care about it being a Knockoff or original, I just want G1 Sunstreaker in some way, shape or form at a good quality.

They should make a KO Sideswipe, so I don't have to hunt down a reissue on eBay.:D 

:lolol 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yuppers.

bootleg = imitation

knockoff = derivative copy