3D Artwork: Arcee & Springer @ IaconCity

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by elgoodo, Sep 26, 2005.

1. elgoodo

elgoodo Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Just when I thought I was done with the movie characters....no, no Unicron....I decided to re-touch some characters I did some time ago...so here they are...Springer & Arcee Version Two.

Check out their renders at

www.iaconcity.com

enjoy and spread the word.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

I gotta tell ya man, this is driving me nuts.

You've got a remarkable eye for detail, and obviously have a very strong ability for mechanical modelling. Your faces are somewhat lacking, though that is to be expected, since your emphasis is on mechanical, and not organic. It is important to remember that while these are machines, they are machines with human qualities, particular their faces.

Most of all though, poor surfacing completely ruins these pieces for me. Arcees lips just look absolutely aweful, and there seems to be no curvature in the face. Metal can curve too, their faces don't have to be so flat. And, the complete lack of smoothing results in several things. You can see the individual polygons, which is always a bad thing, it destroys the suspension of disbelief. It also has wonky effects on the reflections, causing them to be jagged.

You might not realize it, but a nice surfacing job can make your models look twice as good, sometimes much more.

Also, I personally feel you're thickening the movie characters up too much. Arcee's getting kind of stocky and Springer seems built like Ultra Magnus. At the very least his head's too small for his body.

Now, don't think I'm being harsh or overly critical. I am only posting this because I feel you are capable of turning these renders into something so much better. I've taken old, old models, and after I learned more about surfacing, lighting, and rendering, I've loaded up old scenes and redid those three aspects. The results wow people. I think you can knock people's socks off with just a little more work.

3. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

that looks great, the reflection on springers chest plate is just magnificent.

4. elgoodo

elgoodo Well-Known Member

in my defense :) 

wow that was a long post :) 

Anyway, just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the comments....I of all people know I've got miles and miles to go and that my models could use LOTS of improvement....and believe me, if I had the time, I'd take the time out to read up and learn more about organic modelling & proper texturing...but unfortunately, I don't. Who knows, maybe down the line I'll have the time to learn but in the meantime....this is all I can do (since this is just a hobby).

As for my models being too stocky..again appreciate the comments but hope you understand that these are just my interpretations of these characters. I don't make any claim that these are the definitive versions...just how I see them. I purposefully made Springer HUGE cuz that's how I think he is...and I actually prefer my faces the way they are...not too round or organic....but that's just me :) 

Anyway...that's it....thanks though for your comments...much appreciated. thanks

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Arcee's face looks a little odd. Besides that this rendering is awesome!!!! :rock 

6. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

oooo hotshot beware springer is moving in on your girl :lol  excellent work, only some lil things need to be fixed but nothing major, mainly there faces

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Springer's fingers look a little funky, but other than that, awsome. :rock 

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Just to pick nits, I agree with the others Arcee isn't feminie enough.

9. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

Springer's armpit looks incredible!

Really... : )

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think your work is fabulous :rock 

11. wildweezL

wildweezL Active Member

hey great job! when we going to see more gesalts.Menasor hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!