Arcee - Ice Cold *spoilers for Sick Mind*

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Snark, May 18, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I was watching rewatching Sick Mind and noticed something; during the close up on Arcee just as she was about the shoot Megatron off life support, she was smiling.

Damn.

I know Megatron is basically robot Hitler and all, but good god, I can't really imagine the other Autobots (of this, and pretty much every other universe save maybe Bayformers) actually taking pleasure in executing what was at the time a defenseless person. Not to say I don't think quite a few of them would do it, just that I can't imagine anyone else looking like they were opening a birthday present while doing it.

Between this and and that stunt she pulled in Convoy, Arcee is really showing an aptitude for violence and darkness. Really makes me sad that the fan theory that she may be a former Decepticon got jossed (for anyone unfamiliar with this, there was some speculation during the previews for Predatory that Arcee's mysterious past was that she's a former Con).

2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Arcee is seriously damaged. She hides it quite well most of the time, but she's certainly mentally damaged enough to snap at some point. Might be good for a small plot arc - she just looses it. Let's face it, she's lost so many people she cares about, let's have Jack get injured at some point and she just looses it - going on a rampage looking for Cons, maybe even stooping to their level in an effort to draw them out.

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I guess it would be reason to smile if you were just about to make a daring escape from right under Starscream's nose and were about to end the greatest Decepticon threat of all to boot.

But this is a good discussion point. Of all the Autobots, Arcee seems to be the hardest, most bitter and most angry at the Decepticons. We've seen that she suffers mental trauma from the loss of previous partners at the hands of the 'cons. She's willing to do whatever it takes to bring their threat to an end. I think it is her belief that all the Decepticons deserve to be terminated, regardless of the manner of the killing. Because she's operating under conditions of a prolonged war, this is an acceptable attitude for her. Megatron obviously, being the Decepticon leader, would be the greatest target of all for Arcee. She probably has it firmly in her mind that he is to blame for all the war and suffering they've endured. And the sooner he can be killed, the better. We've observed that not only does she have no hesitation in attempting to assasinate him, but is also very eager to do so.

I think Arcee is very emotionally driven, though she maintains a hardened face. She is probably the most likely of the Autobots to succumb to a desire for vengeance. Her experiences have made her one of Optimus' strongest and most determined warriors.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Even movie Autobots don't take pleasure in excecuting comatose unarmed foes. (some try and make a battle fun, but that's no different from other series. Jovial combat banter is the right of all sentient beings) I think Arcee was more excited not at the prospect of taking a life, but destroying the very symbol of the Decepticons and possibly ending the war. Is she damaged? Very, but I don't think this was straight up psychopathic lust so much as 'oh man, this is a great opportunity to beat the Decepticons totally!'

5. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with Split. She was smiling at what may very well have been true victory. It may have also been related to them escaping, getting the cure and getting Bee out of Megatron.

6. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing though, is that Arcee knows full well that killing Megatron won't end the war. She and the rest were already on the assumption that he was dead to begin with, and she could clearly see that the Decepticon war machine was still functioning fine under Starscream.

Good points about escaping, getting the cure and getting Bee back though.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You're logic is flawed. The Autobots assumed he was dead, but the Decepticons knew he wasn't. When Arcee found Megatron it probably clicked that that was why the Decepticons were still around, because they wouldn't give up if their leader wasn't dead yet. So naturally she would've thought killing him while he was so close to death would end the war for real.

8. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but seconds before she saw that Starscream and Knockout were about to pull the plug and kill him themselves.

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Optimus acknowledged even if Megatron is dead his legacy would continue. As far as we know only Optimus' and Megatron's groups are still fighting. For bots like Wheeljack and Airachnid the Great War is over, history.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Did she? She saw them yes, but she was kinda preoccupied and probably didn't here them.

Even if, you guys are both forgetting that killing Megatron can only be a good thing to her. Why wouldn't she smile if it meant bringing an end to that monster?

Or she was just smiling because she got of a pot-shot as she was leaving, or because she's a cocky little jerk.

11. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She definitely heard them. The rush to get Bumblebee out of Megatron was because Arcee heard them preparing to take Megatron off the life support.

The way I see it, Arcee probably saw Megatron as the only REAL threat of the Decepticons, so with Megatron gone, the Autobots could handle the remaining Decepticons. Or maybe she smiled because she scored what would have been a major victory for the Autobots. I dunno.

12. Sideways77

Sideways77 its movie time here come the manbabies

News Credits:
    Maybe she's like Movie Bumblebee. Cute at first, but is really a homicidal maniac.

But I have to agree with Black Oracle. After losing Tailgate and Cliffjumper, she probably is suffering from mental trauma. Or just hates Decepticons for her past experiences.

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think it's a big deal..
    IF it had been one of the male bots that had the "creepy" little smile, folks would have been thinking "OK, he's been thru hell, it's warranted to have a little payback" type of feeling.
    That same smile of satisfaction has been shown in many war scenes in tons of movies.
    Just because she's a fembot she's not justified in feeling and showing her satisfaction in "thinking" that she'd be the one to actually offline Megatron? Of course, she is..almost any bot would do so....
    ..about the only bot I can think of who would be sad and reluctant to kill Megs would be..Prime. Optimus would never show a smirk or snarky smile at Megs passing.

14. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, remember how Emo he was after Megatron was caught in the space bridge explosion? I'm with MorePrimeLand on this one. Arcee's allowed to have reasons outside of, she's a vulger bitch or she's PMSing. :lol 

jD001

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I think it's interesting. I think Arcee is interesting - probably more so than any other iteration of the character. She is aggressive, violent, and disturbed. But she displays the tendencies you expect from a female character, being nurturing and protective of smaller life forms. In short, she's a really complex, nicely conceived character.

16. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I dunno, movie Prime ripped off the fallens face just to injure him as badly as he could dispite the fact he was winning.

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The writers probably didn't think about that when they wrote the scene. Not good with deep characters. Don't think much about it.

18. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I apologize if I sound antagonistic, but I detest the implication that this thread and my opinions therein were borne from an alleged gender bias.

This has nothing to do with the fact she's a woman, which wasn't even brought up until your allegation.

That aside, I don't think your war movie analogy holds here. The crucial distinction, which was also pointed out in my opening post, was that she was smiling while executing what was at the time a defenseless person. She wasn't defending herself, she wasn't fighting a alert and healthy Megatron, she was shooting at a dude in a coma.

As I had stated in my opening post, I do believe quite a few bots would do the same thing. However, I strongly believe few, if any, would actually have been shown deriving pleasure from the act the way Arcee did.

And I don't mean this as a slight on her character in any way. In fact, I love the fact that the writers are taking her to these dark areas that are so rarely explored in Transformers. Since the beginning of the series, I've felt that Arcee was the deepest and most complex of the bots, and this little scene has really cemented that opinion for me.

Again, I apologize if I sound angry in the earlier portions of this post, but I've long believed in and argued for equal rights, and allegations of sexism do not sit well with me.

Actually, I am absolutely certain this was deliberate. The smile is very fast and easy to miss. In fact, I had not noticed it despite having rewatched Sick Mind multiple times until someone showed me a screencap.

When she first points her gun at Megatron, the look on her face is simply one of determination. It's only literally a split second before she fires that her lips curl into a smile. Such a small, easily missed detail would seem bizarre for the animation team to be bothered with unless it was expressly requested by the writers.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hhhmmm. Nope. A character smiling after firing a succesful shot at a villain is completely normal for any show and that doesn't mean the character is BROKEN AND DEEP.

20. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, I reiterate my original point. The crucial distinction is that Megatron was in a state of helplessness. This wasn't Arcee's great moment of triumph where she surpasses the Decepticon leader, this was her shooting a vegetable on life support.