Repro/Sticker: Arcee Head Sculpt

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sculpt-bot, Aug 2, 2007.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Wow..You're good. Usually there are tools available to the public at large as well that can help recreate certain effects as well. I'm asking for information on the subject. And I'm hoping a person with experience with this stuff will answer it.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes they have million dollar machines and advanced computer design programs, where they can input the data and the machine makes a perfect mold for the plastic to take shape in.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes they have million dollar machines and advanced computer design programs, where they can input the data and the machine makes a perfect mold for the plastic to take shape in.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sami...you got to remember, like others have said....SB's doing this by hand....not some fancy machinery, and that this is the "initial sculpt"....SB does do great work....I have several pieces from him from a custom Alt to a couple of heads....like his Bludgeon head he made for Volrath seen here

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1408125&postcount=1

^You can see the start of it in that post^

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1458893&postcount=43

^And the finished product in that post^

Like I said, I have that Bludgeon head...and it is baby smooth.....:D 

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sami...you got to remember, like others have said....SB's doing this by hand....not some fancy machinery, and that this is the "initial sculpt"....SB does do great work....I have several pieces from him from a custom Alt to a couple of heads....like his Bludgeon head he made for Volrath seen here

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1408125&postcount=1

^You can see the start of it in that post^

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1458893&postcount=43

^And the finished product in that post^

Like I said, I have that Bludgeon head...and it is baby smooth.....:D 

6. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Once again, S-C, you have doen a great job on another beautiful head mold. You can send one of those my way. I've got another request for you too.
    You sir have a PM!

7. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Once again, S-C, you have doen a great job on another beautiful head mold. You can send one of those my way. I've got another request for you too.
    You sir have a PM!

8. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the kind words all! Sami, to answer your question directly, yeah the hand sculpted stuff does look lumpy. Unfortunately with sculpting in clay at this size, you are never going to get the "machined" finish on all areas. After I sand Arcee down here with some fine grit paper most of that will be gone. Another thing that my pics suffer from is the fact that they are magnified about 10 -20 times the size of the actual head. Stuff that is imperceptable in your hand, shows up on the big screen. I actually use that to go back and refine some of the areas, but it can never be perfect.
    If you saw Griffith76's HOS Optimus, he used a milling machine. He basically "sculpted" it on his computer, and then sent that info to the miller, and produced his parts. That is basically what HasTakTomy do, just on a much larger scale. For those that like my work, I have been sourcing a milling machine of my own, and with my drafting background, I foresee good things...

9. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the kind words all! Sami, to answer your question directly, yeah the hand sculpted stuff does look lumpy. Unfortunately with sculpting in clay at this size, you are never going to get the "machined" finish on all areas. After I sand Arcee down here with some fine grit paper most of that will be gone. Another thing that my pics suffer from is the fact that they are magnified about 10 -20 times the size of the actual head. Stuff that is imperceptable in your hand, shows up on the big screen. I actually use that to go back and refine some of the areas, but it can never be perfect.
    If you saw Griffith76's HOS Optimus, he used a milling machine. He basically "sculpted" it on his computer, and then sent that info to the miller, and produced his parts. That is basically what HasTakTomy do, just on a much larger scale. For those that like my work, I have been sourcing a milling machine of my own, and with my drafting background, I foresee good things...

10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I'm gonna ramble as my thoughts come so consider that fair warning:

Computer controlled milling machines are pretty sweet; and you can map just about anything into the right kind of software these days. I'd say there's very little hands-on work with the majority of the toys out there.

Of course, there are photos floating around of an original Rollbar [alt mode] sculpted in wood. But that was 20 years ago.

Personally, I'd think that back in the 80's positive molds were created much like hotwheels cars and coins. You start out with a much larger sculpt of your intentions and trace out the details using a device which translates your tracings while reducing the scale, carving similar features into a smaller blank. I wish I could remember the name of the machine, it's really neat device and works much like a standard mill. At any rate, the positives are then mated and negatives are created to use in production runs.

At any rate, I don't know if this'll make any sense, but it did to me at the time I typed it... I think.

But yeah... screw all this "milling" and go straight for the 3D Printer.

11. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I'm gonna ramble as my thoughts come so consider that fair warning:

Computer controlled milling machines are pretty sweet; and you can map just about anything into the right kind of software these days. I'd say there's very little hands-on work with the majority of the toys out there.

Of course, there are photos floating around of an original Rollbar [alt mode] sculpted in wood. But that was 20 years ago.

Personally, I'd think that back in the 80's positive molds were created much like hotwheels cars and coins. You start out with a much larger sculpt of your intentions and trace out the details using a device which translates your tracings while reducing the scale, carving similar features into a smaller blank. I wish I could remember the name of the machine, it's really neat device and works much like a standard mill. At any rate, the positives are then mated and negatives are created to use in production runs.

At any rate, I don't know if this'll make any sense, but it did to me at the time I typed it... I think.

But yeah... screw all this "milling" and go straight for the 3D Printer.

12. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wanted to answer a couple of the questions from earlier in the thread:
    Raven, A full gallery is a good idea, I will see what I can do. If you have a need just PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.
    IDD- I tried my hand at "accessories", I did a G1 Sideswipe Rifle, and a G1 Hound Rifle, both scaled for Alts. Nobody ever expressed much interest in them, so all parts I do now are for my own use.
    Hicks Royel- I did do an Alt-sized Scourge head a while back. It was sculpted for a guy who was doing a non TFing figure though so it may be a little difficult to incorporate into a fully transformable Alternator. I am always looking at redesigning and remolding all of the stuff I had in the past so you may see a new version in the near future.
    Thanks All!

13. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wanted to answer a couple of the questions from earlier in the thread:
    Raven, A full gallery is a good idea, I will see what I can do. If you have a need just PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.
    IDD- I tried my hand at "accessories", I did a G1 Sideswipe Rifle, and a G1 Hound Rifle, both scaled for Alts. Nobody ever expressed much interest in them, so all parts I do now are for my own use.
    Hicks Royel- I did do an Alt-sized Scourge head a while back. It was sculpted for a guy who was doing a non TFing figure though so it may be a little difficult to incorporate into a fully transformable Alternator. I am always looking at redesigning and remolding all of the stuff I had in the past so you may see a new version in the near future.
    Thanks All!

14. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

You need more than machines.. You need the experience and knowledge to get profit from your machines. Heck, I'm still lookin for the casting material! lol

15. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

You need more than machines.. You need the experience and knowledge to get profit from your machines. Heck, I'm still lookin for the casting material! lol

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. It will be a while before I come up with an idea for a head design. Mainly because we haven't seen much of the mold that I plan to use, lol. The only thing that I know for certain at the moment is that it'll be an Ultra sized head, though that doesn't really mean much at the moment, lol.

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, thanks. It will be a while before I come up with an idea for a head design. Mainly because we haven't seen much of the mold that I plan to use, lol. The only thing that I know for certain at the moment is that it'll be an Ultra sized head, though that doesn't really mean much at the moment, lol.

18. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Hey thanks--I hope you didn't read what I had said as any form of negative type comment..I was just curious as to the whole sculpting process and all it's variations..So, since we've already covered that you don't go by the big expensive machines that the major companies do..What do you use? I mean, is it litterally all done by hand? Scuplted by fingers etc..What tools are you able to use? Is there anything out there that people can pick up, if not just sculpty stuff, or that styriene board etc, like..I don't know..A block of plastic or something, resin? What is that anyways? But is there stuff out there that takes to molding and cutting/sanding really well to get into sculpting?

19. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Hey thanks--I hope you didn't read what I had said as any form of negative type comment..I was just curious as to the whole sculpting process and all it's variations..So, since we've already covered that you don't go by the big expensive machines that the major companies do..What do you use? I mean, is it litterally all done by hand? Scuplted by fingers etc..What tools are you able to use? Is there anything out there that people can pick up, if not just sculpty stuff, or that styriene board etc, like..I don't know..A block of plastic or something, resin? What is that anyways? But is there stuff out there that takes to molding and cutting/sanding really well to get into sculpting?

20. Sculpt-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to use Sculpy all the time, and still do for the dinosaurs and other organic sculptures that I do. Sculpy just isn't very good for "machined" parts, because of its tendency to be "lumpy," as you put it.
    Apoxie Sculpt is what I use almost exclusively for sculpting small machined parts.
    It smooths out and cleans up with water, sands without chipping or cracking, and is practically bullet-proof once it cures.
    I use a set of old dental tools, other metal sculpting loops, flats and picks. I use styrene as a "filler" for larger pieces, and sculpt detail into it with the Apoxie Sculpt or a Dremel. Feel free to ask any other ??s. And don't worry, no offense comprehended, I took it as curiosity about how the sculpts are done.