Arcee: Good Character or Plain Annoying?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Mr JackatooTM, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

Did you not read my comment the whole point I was making is that Crossfire is why Arcee doesn't kill Arachnid in Armada, my whole point was that after being backstabbed Arcee wanted Starscream wanted Starscream and was likely regretting her choice to spare him, him actually showing mercy humbles her in a way partners didn't since she just had the possibility starscream saving her and showing mercy proves that her showing mercy wasn't a mistake which operation bumblebee was certainly beginning to suggest. My whole point was that it was a revenge moral unless you mean the episode was about how revenge was right I'm pretty sure that's not your point since Arcee's story certainly doesn't support it.

Yes we know it's not a trap but they don't not until the end. Arcee believes it's a trap they show up and see Megatron who he did not mention optimus concludes starscream set it up, that's the info the characters have not us the characters, from Arcee's perspective it was a trap until he saves her. The characters don't know what we do the perspective they see the situation through is not ours, so no they didn't know it wasn't a trap until after Starscream saved Arcee, until that moment they thought it was a set up. That's Arcee's perspective of the situation and that's the perspective people should be looking at and way too few do.

2. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

If this is a summery of Arcees character ark then its inaccurat.
    If its a different show then I don´t think I want to see it.

About the writing: Writing is suposed to covey feelings. If many fail to understand a character that is an indication that the writing was lacking.

I did read your comment. I just couldn´t tell when you were talking about which episode. When you said:

That was the end of an paragraph about "Crossfire". So it sounds like she wanted to kill him at the end of the episode and that it would be unfit for the moral. Looking up the summery I thought there was a mix up and tryed to clarify.

As for the part with the trap. Maybe that´s just me but I wouldn´t consider something a trap just because there is one person more than expected. Unless they were waiting for me or thers someting to arlarm them to my arraivel.

3. Lord Tron

I specifically mention it being what drove her to spare Arachnid, I have mentioned this repeatedly. This is useless it's pretty clear no one wants to actually think of what I said just use it to complain more so you know what screw it I don't care, people would rather complain about the same crap they've always complained about instead of focusing on other aspects fine, if this forum wants to just focus on three episodes fine, go ahead.

I'm done here it was a waste of time I thought this might become clear but apparently not so here it is straightforward and to the point I want to talk about more than just those few moments none of you will let go of, so see ya around enjoy whatever discussion you have.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

The problem is that Arcee never grew as a character, at least not in the ways she truly needed to. Sure, that's realistic, but it also makes her unlikable and her journey pointless, as it doesn't lead anywhere. Crossfire is the last time we see her disregard orders out of anger and there is no indication she learned anything. You've claimed that because things went wrong, she realized the error of her ways, yet we're shown nothing to suggest that and when she's already regressed as a character once, that's something that really needs to be shown to the audience and we need to see her character returned to a similar situation, so she can be shown making different decisions and prove she's changed, much like how we saw her spare Airachnid in Armada. However, she's never put into a situation where she'd want to abandon her team again, outside of Armada, where she's following orders to take Airachnid down. The audience can't just assume she's learned to stop abandoning her team and sending herself on suicide missions, especially when the show barely acknowledges that it's a negative trait, in favor of a "don't kill" lesson that, while good, isn't really as important in war.

5. Lord Tron

I'll make this as simple as I can, watch Plus one and then come back to me you don't need to put her in a similar situation and have her make a different choice that's pathetically simple and in general is treating your idiots like they can't comprehend character development, like they need to be beaten over the head with it telling them see that character did change. It's insulting I don't need to be directly shown and told she left her revenge behind, I'm not an idiot and neither are the people watching, her more calm mellow soft and gentle personality should really send the message. What Arcee did in plus one season pre Armada would've never done nor did she ever during any emotional situation. Arcee's conversation with Miko, pre Armada Arcee wouldn't of done that because talking about it would've made her angry.

That's your proof of development. Just look at her at different sections season 1 first half closed off, emotionally detached, surprisingly cold at times afraid to get close to people. Post predatory to Armada impulsive, occasionally reckless, quick tempered and rather vicious. Post Armada empathic, caring, at times strict but quite responsible. In short watch Crossfire then watch Plus one or out of the past, then see how wrong you're statement is.

She did grow as a character that's not an opinion it's a fact I'm not the one ignoring everything because a few scenes annoy me. Her growth is very clear if you can't see her character growth that's your problem not mine, it's there and you'll easily find it if you just let those two or three scenes go and focus on something else. It'll also become more apparent the whole abandon her team thing isn't very frequent it'll in general make clear everything you refuse to acknowledge.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  6. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    To me, Arcee is a *itching *itch. This is like 99 per cent about her as a character. And the remaining is just too futile to make a difference.
    So it is not even a character- take the *itching away, and nothing is left to notice. I suppose, that's why you have to give her such combat skills, so the "character" would have, at least, a point to stand out from the environment.

As for such an affort to kill all the beings Arcee worked with, it doesn not add any reasoning to the case.
    I suspect, many could agree that Ratchet is much more "developed" at all those points.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

What makes a "good character" is pretty subjective, depending on what criteria are being used. Personally, I thought they balanced her vulnerable PTSD side, her vengeful aggressive side, and her kind, nurturing side against each other fairly well. I enjoyed her interaction with Jack Darby, and found her likeable and sympathetic overall. I think that dismissing her as a sort of one-note, single-issue character shows a selective memory of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

Sorry, but did you quot the wrong post? I don´t see how it relates to mine.

As I said in my post your description of the events cofused me. Yes, you said Starscream saving Arcee made her spare Arachnid but that was a different paragraph after one that sounded like "Crossfire" would be unfit for a lesson. I thougt those were suposed to be different episodes and tryed to corect that missunderstanding.

Also I never said that I want to focus on only three episodes. I haven´t even directly disagred with your theory. I just tryed to clear some things up when I thougt I found a mistake. I gues that was just me misunderstandig what you tryed to say.

I can´t talk for the rest of the forum but yes it is useless to try and talk about Arcees caracter ark with me. I don´t think she is that bad. I just find her as boring as the other Autobots. I´m a Decepticon-fangirl and originaly started to reply to your coments to defend the Insecticons.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Except, after Armada, Arcee didn't have a reason to be angry because she had gotten her revenge, perhaps not the way she originally wanted it, but she did get it. She was no longer angry because she had defeated the person she was angry at. You can't say she learned to control her anger when she no longer had any reason to be angry, and that's not self improvement. That's not her learning control, that's her acting on her anger until she was lucky enough to get what she wanted.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    A valiant attempt at character depth but ultimately fell flat for me I'm sorry to say. Personally I'm enjoying Strong Arm in RiD much more than I enjoyed Arcee.

11. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked her, but her character arc felt repetitive. There wasn't much evolution from her as a character, but also in terms of the themes surrounding her arc. She is a one note character sadly.

12. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

@Lord Tron Dude, I agree with your points about Arcee, but I think you're going a bit far in saying it's @soundwaverulls and @LynKey 's faults that they didn't like Arcee as a character. Personally, I find her to be the best female character in Transformers, but it's perfectly fine for them to hold the opposite opinion. There's no need to imply lack of thought on their part has anything to do with it.
    This is a bit off-topic, but I always hear George Carlin's narration of Gordon's voice whenever I read your comments.

13. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

I didn´t say that I don´t like her. I just found her boring and was willing to asume that there was more to her that I missed.

I was originaly trying to point out some mistakes. The main one was to say it would be a good tactical desicion from Arce to go for Airachnid to stop the Insecticons. There was no reason to think that would work and in the episode the Autobots see the Insecticons leaf asume that they go to attack Megatron and say that they shouldn´t stop them. I think it would had been better to say she didn´t know about the mindcontrole and focused on the mission to catch Airachnid. Other wise I´d have to asume she wanted to help Megatron.

Later I got cofused by what he was trying to say and when I tried to explain the missunderstanding, I got an angry reply and reacted a bit anoid.

I supose my wording could be better.

14. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    So this thread is coming back to life again

15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Sorry, the way you worded it did sound a bit like you disliked the character. Whatever the case, you're entitled to your opinion. :) 

• Like Like x 1