Arcee: Good Character or Plain Annoying?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Mr JackatooTM, Nov 9, 2016.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I never really had a problem with her in season one. I liked that she had issues which drove her reckless behavior. It made her far more interesting than female Autobots usually were. Her having two tragic backstories was pretty redundant, and was likely spawned from their desire to portray Screamer as a threat (despite that being something they dropped in season two) and that members of Team Prime could die (something they dropped pretty much immediately) while also introducing Arcee's rival later, meaning they'd already killed Cliff off, just so she could be separate from the 'Cons (despite them having no idea what to do with the rogue spider). However, I never truly minded that. It actually made things a bit more tragic, in my mind, as it seemed every partner she had was fated to die. Then, she finally saw the error of her ways in the episode Partners, when she saw Bee's horror when she was about to kill Starscream, and later when she realized what her actions had cost the Autobots.

Then season two happened, and rather than continuing the lessons she learned at the end of season one, and getting over her dead partners, she instead just went right back to behaving the way she did in season one. It was annoying, because if she wasn't going to grow as a character, it became pointless caring about her issues. What happened there? When the producers said she should get over her partners, did the writers think they meant she should get over the episode Partners, and wrote her ignoring the lessons she learned in that episode? Plus, the ending they gave her story in season two was botched horribly. She chases after Airachnid, again, gets into a fight with her, then when Airachnid accidentally traps herself, Arcee claims she showed restraint, despite having every intention of killing her, and never learning to stop abandoning her team for her revenge quest. Then later on, she actually berates Smokescream for not being a team player, turning her into a hypocrite.

Also, whatever happened to her being the main character? I swear she was in season one. Then she suddenly became a side character in season two, until the crumby ending to her story, after which she was completely pushed to the background. They didn't even bother replacing her until Smokescreen came along, and between the end of season one, and Smoke's introduction in late season two, the show didn't seem to have a main character. Then it happened again, after early season three, and Smoke became a side character, until the season finale, where they suddenly decided Bee was the main character moving forwards.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tesla Sheepdog

Tesla Sheepdog Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, in season 3 they had a new director who pretty much threw everything they had planned out the window and the new director didn't want anything to do with female bots which is probably why Arcee took a back seat. With the new director deciding to make changes, season 3 was put together at the last minute. Plus it's been said because of production costs and scheduling different stories and characters were cut from episodes. Jeff Kline had said at one Comic-Con event if there had been a long time plan, they would have done more episodes and introduced more characters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Doesn't really change the fact they were going backwards with Arcee as a character in S2 anyway, to be fair. S3 was just a collective fustercluck of karma coming down from the showrunners refusing to even play by the same rules as the rest of aligned at the time - seriously, not a single reason why the Nemesis couldn't be Trypticon like FOC clearly establishes, other than for the showrunners to be jerks about the whole thing, despite the episode making perfect sense if their word of god is ignored - and apparently the toy design teams not even on speaking terms with the show by that point, either.

4. Tesla Sheepdog

Well...according to what Jeff Kline and the rest of the crew on the panels at the San Diego, NewYork comic con and Botcons said, apparently there seemed to be a lot of issues. Hasbro and Cartoon Network had some problems with Transformers Animated after season 3 which is why a 4th season never went into production but instead was adapted into a comic book series.

5. Autobot Burnout

You mean the AllSpark Almanacs? There was no 'S4' comics. And around the end of Animated was the period Hasbro was planning the HUB to launch, which couldn't have Animated because CN owns half the rights to that series.

6. Tesla Sheepdog

No, it wasn't the Almanacs. There was a comic book series based on Transformers Animated. There's more info about it on the TF wiki.

7. Autobot Burnout

There was The Arrival, which launched with the show and was canceled by issue six simply to use issue 6 as a pack-in for the Jet Twins. There was no follow up comic series afterward. The incident where the ReGeneration One reveal generated less enthusiasm from the crowd at Botcon than the suggestion of Animated S4 in comic form says as much.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I believe you're thinking of 'The Stunti-Con Job" which was placed after season 3, but not an adaptation of S4, and was not a series. Season 4 has yet to be realised at all.

9. Tesla Sheepdog

Oh, now I get it... but yes that was the one.

10. Jayne Pea

Jayne Pea Member

I never found her "impulsiveness" annoying; a lot of time it DID come from grief and pain, and not wanting to lose anyone else. It wasn't like other impulsive characters where it was just some pointless need to "prove themselves".

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    tru

12. Jayne Pea

Jayne Pea Member

Let's put it this way:

She's not Hot Shot.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    While I can better see why some people have a gripe with how she turned out in the end if not downright hate her I still find her to be one of the stronger and more developed characters in TFP since we were actually shown why she's the bot the way she is and that some of her faults are at least understandable given what happened and I still believe that what happened during the S3 changes have had something to do with how she ended up in season 2. Not saying it excuses things but it does still at least give a better idea why it happened. As for her speech to Smokescren being viewed as hypocritical to be fair after Airachnid's imprisonment she stopped doing those sort of stunts before he came on board so that actually doesn't make her one.

Besides if anything I feel like Combiner Wars Windblade is actually done way worse in comparison since unlike TFP Arcee we weren't shown or given enough time to see who she was really like and she actually came across as more hateful too.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I agree. Arcee at least had a background and at least some type of characterization.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I think SplitLip makes excellent points in his assessment of the character.

But as I watched it regularly when it first aired my only real problem was they made Arcee TOO badass. Seriously sometimes I would watch the show and say to myself, "Jesus, why do they even need the rest of the Autobots?"

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I liked her.

17. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    She's kinda cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Same, though kinda annoying at times, she had a lot of characterization at least.

19. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    Every time the word "scrap" came out of her mouth, it annoyed the crap out of me. Everything else about her was just as bad. I would've MUCH preferred seeing Cliffjumper in her place, at least he seemed like a fun guy, TFP Arcee was just broody, boring and sometimes really, really stupid.

20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Or Combiner Wars Windblade for that matter. I mean she's actually guilty of the things people have accused of Prime Arcee of being and it didn't help that the CW series never delve into her character other then what she was presented and came across as being very unlikeable and uninteresting as a result. Whereas with Prime Arcee we were actually shown why she has issues and we were shown that there was more to her character other then being a bot with issues arguably and that she was no where near as hateful.

• Like Like x 1