Arcee....a transsexual?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

So i just finished reading spotlight:arcee and from my take...she started off as a "he" and jihaxus performed a "sex" change on her...am i right with that?

that whole issue was really confusing to me

2. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Maybe, Jhiaxus did something else? I doubt it was a sex change. At least I hope IDW hasn't sunk that low.

Can you link to the specific pages you're talking about?

3. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    It's Furman. He always reeeeaaaaaaally wants to throw an explanation to why robot lifeforms would have genders. Sadly his explanations always suck.
    In the old G1 UK comics Arcee was built because feminists on Earth were complaining that there were no female Transformers. I wish I was joking.

All that to say: Furman, stop trying to come up with crazy explanations and just have them BE there as naturally as us humans have males and females. It'll work out for the best for everyone.

4. Bottom Out

i dont have a scanner, so no screen shots but basically there is a scene where arcee mentions the others refering to her as a "she" and then goes on to say you call me a "she" becuase you sense a difference between them, and then goes on to say jhiaxus was the one who introduced gender into the transformers race, she was the first to be expirimented on and jhiaxus tampered with her C.N.A simply because he was curious and that he could...

so that tells me that arcee must have then therefore started off as a "male" untill jhiaxus performed the sex change by tampering with her CNA, thus making her a transrobosexual or wahtever....kinda weird

5. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    We should ask Ghost Prime.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes basically in the IDW universe there were no females then jihaxus went around experimenting. So arcee who had a sex change agaisnt his /her will is now out to kill jihaxus. I expect it to be retconned at a later date. I figure arcee orginaly looked like the binealtech version.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    WIN.
    I haven't actually read the comic. But I've heard enough to know I don't want to.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You should. The issue is pretty good. Arcee is total BA.

9. Bottom Out

yea its not a bad issue, it actually made me interested in the character

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Furman aside, I think people read too far into it, in the wrong direction.

Transformers aren't "dudes" to start with as I can't recall any robocock in any TF continuity(outside of fanfics or whatever)

Because of that, Arcee didn't start as a "man", and since Arcee probably doesn't have a vagina either(again, leave any weird fanfic crap outta this), isn't a woman. Therefore, not a transexual.

Why can't it just be that transformers are normally blocky, and jihaxus just figured out how to tweak an already existing transformer, with he and she just used for the sake of convenience?

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Thats cause it gave her a better backstory as opposed to "Hi, I'm a girl transformer."

12. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Yea, that's true.

Robots don't need gender, they just identify themselves as what they want to be seen as. So Optimus Prime can decide that he's a girl now, and Arcee can decide that she's a guy. It's not nuclear science, people.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I prefer to think of some Transformers as having masculine programming, and others as having feminine programming.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes but it's the way Furman wrote it that brought up the issue. Arcee gets mad when other transformers refer to her as a her. Hence all the confusion. Plus the whole spark and protoform stuff from beastwars makes people believe there is more to it.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Ah... THIS old issue...

I totally disagree with that, because it implies all sorts of other stuff that should really just stay in the realm of fringe fanfics. :) 

I actually prefer Furman's old explanation to the new one. "Hmmm... these earthlings come in two genders... let's make one of our own appear "feminine" so humans will find it easier to relate to us".

So according to the old Furman, Arcee was a genderless robot that was deliberately designed to look "girly" to set humans at ease. That would explain the pink. :) 

The new IDW explanation doesn't even really make sense, and feels more than a little misogynistic. So Arcee gets made into a "female" by Jhiaxus... and she instantly turns into a psychotic, murderous, self-loathing deviant with bestial ferocity and a huge pseudo-feminist chip on "her" shoulder?

Does Simon Furman actually KNOW any women? Sounds like he has some issues of his own...

TOTALLY agree!! Just because we humans interpret their blocky forms as "masculine" doesn't mean that they ARE male. That's just humans projecting their own associations where they don't apply.

However with the Jhiaxus origin, he rather explicitly states that he wanted to introduce "gender" into the TF race. I get that Jhiaxus is the "mad scientist playing God" type, but it still doesn't explain Arcee. So she's skinnier and curvier, and on permanent PMS... how does that make her "female". It's a hugely problematic idea.

Yes, but what does that even mean? "Masculine" programming? "Feminine" programming? Our whole notion of masculine/feminine is based on behaviours stemming out of biology and brain chemistry, and even then it's hardly consistent for all men and women.

And why would the other TFs refer even to her as "her" anyway, since there is no prior history of female Transformers in IDW? They should even identify her as "female" in the first place. Instead of calling Arcee "her", they should instead be saying "Did you see Arcee? He got a new, more aerodynamic body and upgrades, but I still don't know why Jhiaxus painted him pink..."

Stupid Furman...

LOL! Yeah, girl TFs have NEVER had a proper backstory... which is why fans are still arguing and scratching their heads over it. If they ever did try to explain it now, a sizable chunk of the fandom would just choose to ignore that particular canon anyway (since the "canon" is so inconsistent it hardly matters anyway...).

zmog

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Shit idea, Simon. Shit idea.

17. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I never understood this need for an explanation on the matter. After all, they're aliens.

I mean, gender is hardly the most unbelievable thing in the franchise.

18. Bottom Out

the thing with transformers though is that they are male and female, they do have genders, they refer to themselves as "him" and "her" etc. So even though a robot cant be a female or male in biological terms, they can still be male/female in mental/conscious terms....because think about, sex organs arent really whats makes us male or female...its our brain. There are males who get sex changes on earth because inside thier mind they are female and vice versa. What makes mose sense to me is that all transformers were "born" with male gender programming, jhiaxus hacked and altered that programing to introduce gender and then let it spread on its own. I dont believe that transformers dont have a gender simply because they dont have reproductive organs, they have genders based on thier consciousness so when i read that arcee was turned into a "Female" it said to me that arcee was originally a male due to having male programming, and jhiaxus changed that programing (sex change) and is now a female - against her/his will.

19. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

And here we have a pretty clear cut decision in favor of the GoBots...

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yes, but that "brain gender" you're referring to is also still a product of a culture with distinct genders, and with societal associations for each gender... and the physicality that goes with it. In that sense, it's not just a "programming" in the brain, but a bunch of external factors as well.

Transformers are both theoretically genderless and asexual, so "male" and "female" programming is pretty meaningless. The construction of gender has no foundation against which to even define itself. Essentially, if male/female don't exist biologically in a species, then one wouldn't even know what "female" is, in terms of identifying it within themselves.

Point! :) 

zmog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.