Arcade Sticks, recommendations and such

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Fez Findie, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Those are poop from what i've read.

If your poor - Hori FS3

If you arn't but don't want to spend loads - Madcatz SF4.

If you want top quality and your willing to pay for it - Madcatz SF4 TE, Sega VSHG or Hori HRAP3.

3. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Yak is right. the Mad Catz TE stick is 150$, Hori RAP3 is 100$, Mad Catz SE stick 70$, and Hori 50$.

4. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Since you said PS3 I would recommend this X-Arcade Tankstick It IS expensive ($200) but you get a 2 player stick, and the adapter for PS3 is $14. You can also get adapters for other systems (360 is in development, they have PC/Mac, Dreamcast, PS1, 2, and 3, Xbox 1, and Gamecube/Wii). Also this is made with arcade parts and has a lifetime warranty.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

I'm no expert, but the sf4 TE stick is the bomb. and for the price its a good starting point from what i hear.

6. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, do all of the current arcade sticks make that clicking sound when you press the joystick in any direction?

I've got the tekken 5 anniversary stick (hori IIRC), and the blaze twin shock arcade stick(s?) (Home Arcade Twin Shock Review - PlayStation Illustrated (PSillustrated.com) [Hardware : Blaze]), but one thing that has always annoyed me is how they click whenever you press a direction. Maybe it's just because in the arcades you don't tend to hear that over the sound of everything else, but I wonder if it's because the ones that I have are ball-topped sticks and not the bat shaped ones that I'm used to?

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Unless they've improved drastically since I had mine, I woulden't go as far as saying that the own brand parts XA use are arcade grade.

All sticks with microswitches, which is almost all of them and certainly everything your going to buy pre-built, are going to click because thats the noise the swtiches make when the shaft presses them. Better quality microswitches are quieter then cheap ones and thicker cases will muffle the sound more, but you'll have to go to the aggro of using optical sticks and nasty leaf buttons if you want silence.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's pretty much the best pre-built stick on the market if you're down with Japanese parts.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

Japanese parts! I can feel it coming over meeee!

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Well yes they make them in house but they are he same Spec as a Happ Super Stick and their Pushbuttons. (Though mine have Happ Competition Sticks in them)

As for the SFIV TE Stick. I took it out of the box, felt the stick (Loose AND Square instead of a smooth 360, and a Ball Top no less). I put it right back in the box canceled my Pre-Order and continued to use the one I rebuilt into a 360 stick. For all the hype I think it's highly over rated. I have used Sanwa sticks in the arcade and I HATE them. Just a personal preference thing I guess. (Yes I know I could get another gate and another shaft to make it Bat Top. But that's more $ on top of the $150 I would have spent and then I would have had to mod the stick to make it tighter.)

11. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Ended up buyin' the regular Madcatz Arcade Fight Stick last week, though I've heard quite a few people complain about it breakin' down. Is this a widespread problem with almost all units goin' down or is it a case of a loud minority at work?

Though these are months old, and all. So far, the stick's been workin' just fine as far as I'm concerned. Though if any of you got anythin' to tell, like from personal experiences, please do tell.

Street Fighter IV Madcat Controller Issues... Told Ya! | Video Game Online Forums & Community | Game Platform Discussions for Video Games - GameTrailers.com
    Mad Catz Answers Our Questions About the Arcade FightStick Issues: News from 1UP.com

And here's a list of PS3 Arcade sticks

FIGHTING WORDS – ARCADE STICK SPECIAL PS3 : BeefJack

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think about picking up an arcade stick to help me out with Mortal Kombat. I am struggling with the combo's like no other.