Arbulus look! It's Unicron!!! Well..close enough..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by y2jversion1, Sep 2, 2009.

1. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    Astronomers prove next-door galaxy Andromeda is cannibal by finding 'partly digested remains' - Yahoo! Canada News

Astronomers prove next-door galaxy Andromeda is cannibal by finding 'partly digested remains'

By Seth Borenstein, The Associated Press
    ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON - Earth's nearest major galactic neighbour is a cosmic cannibal. And it is heading this way.

Astronomers have long suspected that Andromeda is a space predator, consuming dwarf galaxies that wander too close. Now, cosmic detectives are doing a massive search of the neighbourhood and have found proof of Andromeda's sordid past: They have spotted leftovers in Andromeda's wake.

Early results of a massive telescope scan of Andromeda and its surroundings found about a half-dozen remnants of Andromeda's galactic appetite. Stars and dwarf galaxies that got too close to Andromeda were ripped from their usual surroundings.

"What we're seeing right now are the signs of cannibalism," said the study's lead author Alan McConnachie of the Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics in Victoria, British Columbia. "We're finding things that have been destroyed; ... partly digested remains."

Their report is published in Thursday's edition of the journal Nature.

Andromeda and the Milky Way, Earth's galaxy, are the two big dogs of this galactic neighbourhood. Andromeda is the closest major galaxy, about 2.5 million light years away. A light year is about 5.9 trillion miles. The massive mapping of Andromeda is looking half a million light years around Andromeda.

Astronomers have known for decades that galaxies consume each other, sometimes violently, sometimes just creating new mega-galaxies. But this study is different because "of the scale of the cannibalism, and we've found evidence directly in front of our eyes," said co-author Mike Irwin, an astrophysicist at the University of Cambridge in England.

This type of galactic crash is common, and the paper makes sense, said Harvard astronomer Mark Reid, who was not part of the Andromeda mapping team. And just because Andromeda consumes a galaxy, it does not make the victim disappear, he said.

The cannibalistic behaviour often just strips stars from where they had been, rearranging the night sky. Most of a galaxy is empty space, so there is little if any crashing of stars and planets going on, Irwin said.

"It would be a beautiful night sky," he said. "It would be quite spectacular."

The once and future main victim of Andromeda is a dwarf galaxy that circles it called Triangulum.

Eventually, in about 3 billion years, Triangulam, which once came too close to Andromeda and was stripped of some stars, will spiral into Andromeda, about the same time it comes crashing into Earth's galaxy, said study co-author John Dubinksi of the University of Toronto.

The Milky Way and Andromeda are heading toward each other at about 75 miles per second. They are so far away from each other that the big crash is a few billion years away. And even that might be nothing more than a reshuffling of the night sky or the creation of one super-sized galaxy, McConnachie said.

-

On the Net:

Nature: Journal home : Nature

The Pan-Andromeda Archaelogical Survey: https://www.astrosci.ca/users/alan/PANDAS/Home.html

2. Thunderzap7

Thunderzap7 Banned

Don't give them ideas. Unicron=a galaxy in TF3.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be the first franchise to turn a planet-eating villain into a cloud of malevolent gases.

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I:E, *cough* Fantastic 4 *cough*

5. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

damn by the time we get to see that the human race will either be no longer human or gone completely.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Dang, I didn't think Andromeda was THAT cannibalistic... sure, I had come across a little info regarding its destroying mini galaxies before when I was doing research for a sci-fi story I was working on, but DANG...

7. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

darn you stole my post

anyway mine is better

*eh*cough* fantastic *cough*eh* 4 *cough*eh* rise of the silver surfer *coughcoughcough*

and ya it would suck to have a cloud be unicron and what would happen to primus I can see it now a yellow cloud and a blue cloud

8. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    That is better :rolleyes: 

9. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

ill stop you, Unicron!!!!!!!

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    *offers foxfan352 and $shockwave$ some Ricolas* but seriously creepy

"now light our darkest hour"

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

It's a shame we die so quickly on the galactic scale, I imagine events like this would be quite beautiful but we'll never get to see them.

12. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Wow the universe is beautiful and deadly at the same time. I always wondered what happened when two super massive black holes (Like the ones in the center of our galaxy) would look like when they merged.

13. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

Black holes cannot merge. one black hole would destroy the other. The black hole with the stronger gravitational pull (the larger one) would destroy the smaller one.

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Really? I thought that was still hypothetical. What if they're the same mass?

15. honcho

honcho It's been a while.

Ebay:
    Pretty much this.

I wish scientists would stop teasing, it's upsetting enough to know I'll never see awe-inspiring galactic chaos in my lifetime. :mad