Aquarium Q&A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, May 31, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am in the middle of relocating to a new place, and in my downtime, i am budgeting out/planning to get myself an aquarium.
    it seems that i will have to bite the bullet and save up for the newer acrylic tank set up (never liked glass, save for the $$$ difference.)

Here's what i got picked out thus far:
    Clear For Life 75 gallon (Tall) acrylic tank
    Penguin BIO-Wheel 350 Power Filter
    Ebo Jager Heater 15" 200W Ebo Jager Heater 15" 200W

Fish:
    Here's where i really need help. i keep reading about X fish needs at least a XX gallon tank, then you need XX gallons for each fish.
    I know that most aquarium fish have a condition called "indeterminate growth", meaning they grow as large as their environment allows.
    I don't want Bruce the shark from "Jaws" in my tank.
    but i would like is a healthy mix such as this (if possible):
    3-4 balas
    3-4 silver dollars
    6+ tetras
    1-2 catfish
    and just to see how they do, i'd love to get a couple invertebrates to act as tank cleaners.

I am still trying to research whether i want live or synthetic plants.

so, any opinions? hell, share pics of your tank or what kinds of fish you got.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Is this fresh or salt water?

Figure on 1-2 fish per 10 gallons or less if you want larger fish.

You need bottom fish like algae eaters(Plecos) Probably 2 for that size tank

Loaches are a good choice for color and also clean mid level waste

Avoid live plants cause they can be very difficult to maintain.

Don't get Eels unless you want them to knock over everything.

I bred Oscars for years and loved it.Feeding a 2lb giant Oscar live fish was fun as hell.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    All I can say is thank Primus this thread isn't about Gaia.

4. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's a freshwater tank.

i wanted to get the invertebrates for eating whatever made it to the bottom, so i guess an extra algae eater or two wouldn't hurt to get into places the invertebrates can't.
    this is a neon orange lobster that reaches a max size of about 5":
    [​IMG]

5. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should remember that a 5" fish is going to be more of a waste load on your tank than 5 1" fish. If you're going to get a pleco or two I'd recommend you stick with bristlenose plecs as they keep to a sensible size.
    I say go for some live plants - even if it's just some Java fern if you don't want to mess around with extra lighting - they're worth having to help with sucking up Nitrates.
    I'm guessing you want that Lobster as a feature - but for cleaning up waste and dealing with algae I can't recommend Amano shrimp highly enough.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Are those the upside-down catfish? I've got a couple of South American plecs in my tank as well and I'm always getting their names mixed up. I've got a couple of the upside-downs too and they're awesome when they zoom around the tank upside-down or ride the bubbles up and down.

I've got a couple of Clown Loaches as well and they're pretty happy digging through the gravel and scoffing the stuff they find. And they sometimes sleep on their sides or propped up on their tails and look dead. Hardy though - mine have been with me for about ten years and lived through a couple of filter blurting problems that wiped out everything else in the tank.

Not sure about mixing Tetras and Silver Dollars. Pal of mine did that and the Dollars munched their way through all the smaller fish. These days I've got two tanks: one for small fishies and ones for larger.

Live plants are definitely a must. Just keep an eye out for snails that hitch a ride into your tank as eggs hidden in the plants. I get those stringy plants. They're not as pretty as the fluffy plants but they don't break apart and clog things up as much. They tend to grow really well too so I've not had to buy new plants for my tank for like three years. I just clip off the excess and grow them into new plants.

7. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think so.

Also if you don't go with tetra's with the larger, more aggressive fish another option would be the larger Barbs like Tiger or mossy Barbs.

8. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I would stray away from the crawfish if I were you. I have had a couple in a few different tanks and they like to eat the fishies, sometimes ones that are bigger then they can handle. If they get their pinchers on it, they will attempt to eat it. Long story short, freshwater moray vs. crawfish, crawfish wins...fatality(chewed them damn face off). Try some ghost shrimp, plecos or smaller cats for the bottom. And the general rule of thumb is one gallon for every one inch of fish.

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    The whole "indeterminate growth" thing is a crock too, for most species. They say that to sell you the fish, but it's not a universal truth.

I second the Bristlenose Plecos, or if you want to be different, a handful of pitbull plecos. They're a bit smaller and not nearly as nocturnal, so lots of fun to watch in the day. i have 2 in my 55, and they're plenty to keep it clean, but they like having at least 4-5 in their shoal, so algae wafers would be a needed supplement, unless you want to blanch squash regularly.

Watch the balas. I don't know about them specifically, but some sharks are territorial and more than 1-2 in a tank is a mistake, especially of that size. (particularly Red-Tail Blacks, etc)

I also second the Rosy Barbs. We have 4 Long Fin RBs and they are just gorgeous.

I also agree with skipping the crawfish. There are some smaller shrimp that are great cleaners, but be careful and make sure you talk to a knowlegable LFS, not a box store, because a lot sole at chain pet stores are omnivorous and will eat fish opportunistically, as opposed to the dedicated cleaners.

Java Fern is great, so is live wood. They also work as stabilizers for pH and other chems in the tank.

10. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would not recommend that crayfish. I put one in a tank with some goldfishes a long time ago and it clipped one of the goldfishes tail right off with it's claws.

Rough estimate is max 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water.
    Live plants are good for at least a couple of reasons. They will help control algae. They will suck up the nitrates. Fish only growing to it's tank size is mostly myth. True they might not grow but they also won't be healthy and will stress out and die if not given enough space.

I'm setting up a new tank.

60 gallon show tank (freshwater)
    10 gallon sump
    Heater
    UV Sterilizer
    T5-HO lights
    Amazon swords and Anubus Nana plants
    Currently have 9 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Glowlight Tetras, and 4 true SAEs. Once it's done cycling I'm getting some Discus.

I had a 80 gallon before with asian arowana but forgot to close the lid tight one time and it jumped to it's death.

11. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    man, i appreciate the input from you all.

as for the crayfish/crawfish, i wasn't sure if shrimp could hold their own. if i provide hiding spots, they could.

from what i have been reading, i can juggle a tank with fish of different temperments, but it's basically the rule of make the peaceful fish too big for the semi-aggressive to mess with, or there's strength in numbers.
    so i had the impression that with a large enough school of tetras, the balas wouldn't bother them.

a bit of disclosure here: i love balas, i just think they are elegant. and my dad loved Tetras, he just loved large schools he kept in his old aquarium. so i wanted them for him.

but if i have to, i think i can substitute them with something else, and keep tetras in a smaller tank.

any live plant that is hassle free AND helps stabilize my tank i am all for it.

12. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Balas and Tetras are both non-aggressive and do better in schools (5 or more). The Balas likely will not bother the Tetras. Balas can exceed 12 inches however while Tetras max out at 2 inches.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Ah, yes. One of those cases where Google is indeed my friend. :) 

Still, these are the Upside Down Catfish if anyone's interested:
    Upside Down Catfish, Synodontis Nigriventris aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums

Despite what the link says, I've only got two in my tank and they're perfectly happy. They were only an inch long when I got them and they quickly grew to around the five inch mark. They must be about five years old now because I remember buying them shortly after my father died (he used to be a fish breeder).