Aquarium keepers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yodafett, Mar 21, 2011.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Are there many aquarium keepers around here? If so, what kind of setup do you have, and who are your fishy friends?

After being out of it for several years, I'm back into things with a 50 gallon (Emperor 400 HOB filter, black sand substrate with scattered red gravel for accents, and 8 Java Fern ranging from bulb to fully grown) that we're still bringing up to full service. Current residents are 8 Peppered Corys, and 2 Male Guppies. The guppies aren't permanent members of the community, they were just unwilling participants of a live-cycle to get the tank ready. :) 

2. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I have had aquariums most of my life. In high school I had a group of five red eared slider turtles. After I moved out on my own it was time for the some of the more aggressive fish, alligator gar, albino oscar, albino channel cat and a fresh water moray eel. This was the setup I enjoyed most, even if the eel didn't last as long as I would have liked. The catfish got WAY too big and caused havoc so he had to go back to the pet store, the gar died of unknown reasons but, the oscar outlived them all. He lived for a few years after his buddies were gone. The eel met his fate at the hands of a crawfish that was meant for the oscar to eat. Needless to say I was pissed, a $2 crawdad eats the face off of a $40 eel. Now it's all community fish, tetras, mollies, goldfish etc. All of the animals listed above were/are housed in a 65 gal. flat back hex.

3. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I have a 55 gallon tank with an Emperor 400 and a xp3 canister filter. It is a goldfish tank and has one Sarasa Comet and one Lionhead. It has natural gravel with some fake plants and some real driftwood. I plan on putting in live plants and I have the lighting system for them but I need to wait until I have more free time.

My dad breeded guppies when he was in college and my aunt said he had tanks all over his apartment.

4. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I've been in and out of them over the last 10 years or so. I had a 65 gal setup a few years back with an large assortment of tropical fish, emerald cat fish, knife fish, small sharks, you name it we probably had one or two. We had that setup for about 6 months then on Easter Sunday about 12:30 am the bottom seal let go luckily only on the left side and I'll tell you that you've never seen a 65 gal tank drained faster than my wife and i did that night. We had bowls and jugs and glasses full of fish all over our dinning room. So as you would guess I'm not nearly as into them as I used to be, We do still have a little 30 gal tank with a few coy and gold fish.

5. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    Well i used to be the manager of Petcare in Petsmart. so if u wanna count all 3000 gallons between the feeder and tropical system then i kept alot. lol I used ot have to repair, fix and clean it all. Fluidize bedding, uv steralizers, feeding 2-3 times a day. It was a pain in the ass lol. I used to love the african chiclids. I used to also have them at my home. I used to have a nice brackish water setup with crushed coral. Those are my fav. Fish, Small, agressive, very colorful for not being full saltwater too.

6. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had an 80 gal with Arowana but he jumped to his death (forgot to secure the canopy). I want another Arowana but wife doesn't (says they are ugly) and only allowing me to keep smaller tank so gave 80 gal to pops and bought 55 gal. Haven't set up yet but probably will get discus.

7. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    ... I have a one gallon fishbowl with rainbow rocks and a plastic plant for my betta...

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to aquariums when I was a kid. It got to be too much for me and I lost interest by the time I turned 18.

I had a 45 gallon tank and it just sat in my bedroom for awhile with no fish and the water was old dirty. I finally gave it to a friend of my mother's.

I used to have guppies, but the water content of where I live is bad for guppies.

My dad had a aquarium back in the early 90's. He used it for about three years and he also got tired of it.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got a 120 litre (I think - might be more) tropical tank with a Silver Shark, a couple of South American Plecs, two Upsidedown Synodontis, two Clown Loaches and a Gourami. It's a pretty laid back tank. We used to have more in it but this seems to be the happy level and with less in the fish have grown to a nice size. I might throw something else in there too sometime down the line, but for now it's fine.

Also had a 60 litre coldwater tank which has held many different species over the years, including cool stuff like Axolotl and frogs. Last year I decided to run the tank down and make it into a tropical tank for smaller fish. Gave a load of fish away and the last big one died a month ago. I was going to buy a heater for it last week and typically the heater died on my larger tank the same day I was going to get one for the smaller tank so I had to spend my cash replacing that instead. Once I've got cash again I'm gonna set the small tank up and throw a few Guppies and Neon Tetras in there along with a couple of cleaners and see how it goes. At least I won't have to worry about bigger fish porking their way through them.

I'm certainly not a hardcore aquarium owner. They're just relaxing to watch and always something to talk about when we have guests.

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I think DJ Soundwave has the most aquariums, but he keeps toys in his and not fish. :crazy: