Aquaman (2018) - WB Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by transfan681, Aug 12, 2014.

1. davidguttermans

davidguttermans New Member

This Is going to be the first DC movie that I will like.. because DC is evolving now. They are getting a hang of what they should bring to the movie goers and what we expect from a comic movie

• Like Like x 2
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope shazam trailer was still better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Hang on, isn't Mark Millar one of those writers who thinks superheros suck anyway and has written extensively on the subject? Or am I confusing him for someone else?

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    He wrote Civil War, a seven issue diatribe against the very nature of the genre that derailed the Marvel Universe for 3 years. So, probably?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    What a fucking idiot. :rolleyes2  Guess he couldn't just say that he thought the trailer looked good and that DC may have possibly just made another decent movie since Wonder Woman... no, instead he had to turn it into yet another petty Marvel vs DC that just fans the flames.

Also, I'd love to know which trailer he's talking about, because it sure as hell isn't the same one I watched. It looked okay, but light years away from whatever Miller is making it out to be.

Here's a MUCH better story...

'Avengers' Star Mark Ruffalo Goes in Disguise to Take Adorable Photo With 'Aquaman's Jason Momoa at New York Comic Con

• Like Like x 2
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He's the guy who wrote Ultimates. You know, the comic the first Avengers movie was largely based on?

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Didn’t that comic take a quick run into a ditch after a strong opening?

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No. Haven't you read it?

It was extremely strong for the entire two series he wrote, and only took a quick run into a ditch after he finished, left and Marvel got Loeb to try to write a third series.

10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, I don’t get his statement. It’s fine if he liked the trailer — it does look like it could be a fun DC movie, but the part about making the MCU look like Marvel’s ‘70s TV output, just doesn’t scan. Infinity War (which I have issues with, if I’m being honest), was a tremendous, audacious tragedy, of pretty epic proportions. That alone could not and should not be compared to the old Marvel TV shows.

Serious question — did one of the Ultimates books have the story of Hank Pym abusing Jan? Or am I thinking of the wrong story?

• Like Like x 2
  11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Agreed. I'm not even a big fan of the character but that trailer got me hyped for the movie more than even the Marvel trailers have recently. It's unfortunately still set in this same crappy universe but it looks like it might be a much better movie than the other DCEU movies. Maybe even better than Wonder Woman if the quality of their trailers carries over into the actual movie.

I also like the fact that Shazam isn't going to be dark and gritty like every other gawd damn movie. When did every single adult Superhero turn into Batman.

That's another thing Marvel has done better is giving each character a different tone that fits the character instead of everything being one tone all the time. Dark works for Batman but the other heroes need their own identies instead of coping Batman's dark gritty tone. Shazam is a welcomed break from that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It must be the Loeb run I’m thinking of then.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The first one. But it was done in a more realistic way than the Shooter story, and Hank payed real consequences for the entire rest of both series.

I'm not a Loeb hater like a lot of people, but his Ultimates was a disaster. It tore down everything good about everything up until then, and then he went on to help tear down everything good about the rest of the Ultimate universe until the entire thing was unusable.

14. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Mark Millar is a great writer who plays into every one of his instincts, including the bad ones, and that is an absolutely fantastic fun bit of shit talk. Marvel used to refer to DC as the Distinguished Competition and put them down HARD back in the day. It's all in good fun everybody, lighten up

• Like Like x 1
  15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing the second trailer - and checking into the original Throne of Atlantis comic many people say this will be based on - I think there will be a substantial change in the story.
    In the comic, Vulko is the culprit behind the attacks on both the surface world and Atlantis, using a magic scepter to control the Trench (horrid fish-men from the deep). Now we know the Trench are in the movie, they even are getting a figure in the toyline... But the battle scenes shown at the end show Atlanteans led by Aquaman on a Tylosaurus fighting against strange, crustacean invaders, giant crabs and organic catapults, all marching out from a red light. We have seen in Justice League that the Boom Tubes have such a red light, and in comics, Apokolips traditionally has a team of underwater experts they dispatch against worlds with aquatic life, the Deep Six. I have a hunch that while the Trench might be involved in the initial attacks, eventually Aquaman will take charge of Atlantis to fight not them, but an invasion from Apokolips.

It was not a continous abuse. He had a mental breakdown once, planned to restore his credibility as a hero by building a robot and pretend it to attack the Avengers, then he would swoop in and save the day. When Janet pointed out how crazy this was and tried to talk him out of it, he slapped her. It was in the main Marvel continuity though, not in Ultimates, back in the 80ies, when he was wearing the Yellowjacket costume. She divorced him and he got booted from the Avengers too, and went into full-time research, but a decade or so later they got back again as a couple and joined the Avengers again, as it is usual in comics where things get reset eventually.

I didn't, neither did many others. I liked Spectre - the first of his movies that was good - but still feel he is the wrong actor to play the role. There is zero charm to him, he is a stone-faced brick of a man incapable of showing emotion, which is an antithesis to the role he is supposed to be playing. Then again, new Bond is more Bourne than Bond anyway, downplaying the gadgets and the more outlandish elements of the franchise... which is a pity because it was exactly that which attracted me to the franchise. My dad was a huge Bond fan, and Craig was the first actor in the role he hated so much, he never even went to watch the second movie in theaters.

I hope we get toys of the seahorse-dragons, they look amazing. That turtle sub is great too!

Dude, that was NOT Aquaman. That's Poseidon, who likely founded Atlantis in the past. He is the one who the trident originally belonged to. We saw him in the flashbacks in both Justice League and Wonder Woman too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If you're only basing Bond on what you've seen in some of the previous movies. And again with the gadgets and silliness, the Brosnan movies took that stuff as far and as ridiculous as they could. It was time to scale back and look a little more to the actual source material for re-inspiration. Just like after Moonraker, they felt they had no choice but to try to step back from the overwhelming silliness and do a more grounded (as grounded as a Moore Bond movie could be) take in For Your Eyes Only. Even in the older movies, some of the best of the entire franchise, like From Russia With Love and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the gadgets are almost non-existent.

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  18. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
  19. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like my copy of lego dc super villains has a $10 off aquaman sticker for fandango that came with it. As our movies cost $6 for a matinee I have a free ticket to aquaman.

20. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really do hope this film do fairly if not great.
    There's Bumblebee for kids who likes Robots.
    And Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse for those who like colorful spiderman cartoon.

I'm actually downplaying Into the Spider-Verse but upon seeing the trailers before after watching Venom last week, it gave me 2nd thoughts.
    It could be a real threat for Aquaman. So I hope WB would more promotions and marketing. Appeal the kids market as much as possible.

Bumblebee and Spider-Man are already have their initial merchandise and movie toys on displays.
    Yeah, both are from freakin' Hasbro.

If Aquaman manage to earn at least near to Wonder Woman, it's already safe.