Aqua Colored WST Convoy Model Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Coldiron, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had purchased this around ten years ago and thought I lost it when I moved to this house. Funny enough, I was packing to move to our next house and was surprised to find this sitting in a box with a bunch of cassette tapes from the attack. Anyhow,

Does anyone have any information on this? I assumed it was Kabaya but I can not find any info on it online and all the kabaya catalog sites I went to are no longer online. Here is an image of the instructions and parts that came in a capsule. The instructions show Prime in Gerhead mode. Derp.

Attached Files:

2. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. I hunted through the shmax database and didn't turn up any aqua-colored kabaya kits, but if it helps, those instructions refer to "No. 01 Convoy", and "No. 08 Prowl". The only Kabaya Prowl I turned up was from a line of toys that came in boxes, not capsules, and there are only a few capsule'd Convoys. Definitely curious to know what it is you have, there...

3. Coldiron

Ebay:
    Thanks for checking. I remember the seller having the others as well, but I just wanted Prime as I was just starting to collect.

I found BBTS has this model blind boxed in boxes with candy, but no name brand, so I am curious who made it. I will likely paint it soon, but did not want to ruin anything that might be super rare.
    They list it as a candy toy model.

4. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ***EDIT: Ha...you just posted what I was going to...I need to type faster. :) ***

Almost looks like it could be this one.

Vintage G1 Transformer Mini Model Kit with Candy - Random Model Kit - Transformers Model Kits Model Kits

But yours is in a capsule and these are boxed.

From what I understand, though, the BBTS offerings may or may not be a legit Takara/Kabaya product. I e-mailed BBTS back in 2009 asking about any markings/stampings on the box and I can confirm that there are no Takara/Kabaya stampings on the boxes. So I guess it's possible that they're actually KOs.

The instructions seem exact, except the BBTS version doesn't have the Cybertron/Destron header pictured...

Wish I could be more help...but, if anyone can confirm that the BBTS kits are legit or fake, please reply as I've been thinking about buying a few if they're actual Takara/Kabaya products.

MIKE
    engledogg

5. Coldiron

Ebay:
    I checked the parts and there is no text or logo on any of them. Here is a full scan of the instructions. Front and back.

Attached Files:

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cast it up before you do anything!

7. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

I think that's easily explained--it looks to me like whoever photographed those instructions for BBTS just cropped the photo down so that we can get a better look at the illustrations.

We still don't know where the capsule came from, but even that might have a simple explanation--when I was living in Kyoto, the local toy shop near my house was in the habit of repackaging little toys like this. It's possible some store had the idea of sticking these in capsules to free up room from their shelves, or to make old shelf-warming product seem more novel.

They're only 6 bucks--I'm tempted to buy a few just to get a closer look...

8. Coldiron

Ebay:
    I think one hint to this is to see how instructions in the box version are folded or not. The instructions in this capsule seem to be machine folded. It would be interesting to see if the dimensions are exactly the same too. A trifold has made this perfect for capsule packaging.

I will be working a lot with resin this summer, so I might.

The face of the cab is really detailed and its the same scale as my pvc Optimus truck/trailer mode. It might make for some cool future projects.