Apple's new keyboard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Streck, Aug 7, 2007.

1. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I wonder if the Optimus Maximus will come with a cheaper, not-as-cool version, with only a few keys that are programmable

2. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, I remember the concept of the Optimus Maximus was originally slated to be $250.00 SRP two or three years ago... Bit of a change now.

3. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Umm, I'm not seeing the issue. That's how I always wished keyboards were like, larger, flat keys more spaced out. I hate how crowded and clunky most keyboards are.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yeah, me neither. Anything beats the Wii-board

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

It's rather... unremarkable.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That keyboard looks pretty good, to me. That's how I'd like one made. I've always been of the opinion that Apple has no concept of design, (round mouse, generic white boxes....) but this actually looks pretty well thought out. Looks a lot better than those "ergonomic" keyboards that look like they'd bend your wrists into uncomfortable and unhealthy angles.

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is a comfortable keyboard. The last Apple keyboard felt cramped, and I bet this is their response to that complaint.

9. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    :rock  I'm all over that - I hope it's wireless like the pics show. FINALLY, a new peripheral that isn't white!!!! My black Macbook is thankful, no more racial tensions :) 

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    They have it. It's only three keys, and it's $150.

[​IMG]

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:

The "space" between the keys isn't actually a great deal larger, at least not discernably. Take a look at your keyboard. Almost all keyboards are smaller at the top surface and slope down to a larger base. The larger bases are then fairly close to the adjacent keys, but the actual surface (y'know, the part you actually make contact with) is spread out similarly to this new Apple keyboard. Apple just eliminated the depth so it's much more noticeable.

I'm not going to have an internet freakout o noes about the keyboard and will reserve judgement until I can actually use it and see how it feels. It looks similar to the MacBook keyboard, so I assume hands on reactions will be similarly mixed with some loving it and others hating it. But until we get hands on with it, it's all just Apple bashers blowing smoke.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The amusing thing about this is everyone is making a big deal...over a keyboard.

It's a keyboard.

Take a look at the keyboards on the MacBook (not the MacBook Pro). It's the same key spacing.

If this was some other company showing off their new keyboard it would go unnoticed.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Meh. No numeric keypad, no deal. I use it for 3D work way too much to go without one.

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I don't get the hate-on here. I like the looks of it, and as far as key travel?

Tell you what, as a guitarist I know that I'm far less likely to get hand fatigue on a low-action fretboard. This looks like a good idea keyboard wise on the surface.

Now, split the freakin' thing in two so I can mount it on opposite sides of my chair upright and we'd be talking.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

at least its not transparent, those things are ok till you see one with lunch build up.

16. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    QFT. Those things are nast.

I didn't actually quote it since you don't need to quote the post directly above you.

17. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

Not really. Visually, its similarity to the MacBook keyboard (which I've used) is enough to reveal certain attributes of its use that are perfectly solid, non-smoky ground for why it's such a bad idea. Besides, if "mixed" reactions are the best a keyboard can manage, then it's crap - the bar for good design is considerably higher than that.

Logitech and Microsoft would be noticed. And even if that weren't the case, how would it invalidate people's reactions? Like it or not, Apple is a significant industry player (though for perhaps different reasons than some analysts believe) with an influence that is grossly disproportionate to its size or market share. What it produces is significant.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I can't agree with that at all. Nothing is ever universally acclaimed, especially something as subject to individual tastes as a keyboard. If a keyboard manages to inspire a not insignificant number of users to have passionate affection for it, I'd say it's been pretty successful.

Logitech and Microsoft make good, generally well regarded keyboards. But no, the release of a new Logitech or Microsoft keyboard model has never set the internet on fire like this. Ever. I do agree with you that what Apple produces has significance to the industry beyond dismissing it as "just a keyboard", but for me that doesn't mean I can't roll my eyes at the alternating Apple hype/hate machines exploding, 99.99% of which is generated by people (on both sides) whose only exposure to it is a picture online.

19. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

"Mixed," in the common usage of the term, implies roughly equivalent portions of good and reviews. Interpreted literally, of course, everything is mixed - that's not how I'm employing the term. A "not insigificant number of users" having passionate affection for something is a rather precarious definition of success, in my estimation.

I don't know that it's "on fire"; seems to me this is just a sub-level reaction to larger news of the new iMacs. I saw headlines on Google News when Microsoft rolled out their Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac, but honestly, what difference does any of that make? How does the level of public commentary have anything to do with how appropriate it is to deliver our own remarks? Apple's force as an influence is what is relevant and what makes commentary on this product deserved.

That element will always exist, it's noise to be ignored IMO. If you go to Mac forums, though, there's plenty of negative reaction from the fanbase/userbase as well, and it's not just knee-jerk because it's not just a matter of personal taste. Ergonomics is a very real applied science, and a mere photograph is enough to show how this keyboard runs contrary to a great deal of it.

20. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't recall ever seeing discussions at length for any Logitech or Microsoft input device to date on these boards.

I never implied that this invalidated reactions, but I do not feel it warrants this much attention just because it is Apple. While I agree that Apple is a significant presence in the industry, we are discussing a keyboard, plain and simple. They aren't doing anything new here.

When Apple released the Mighty Mouse it was something new for Apple. This was the first time Apple was making a product with a scroll wheel, and a mouse that knew what side of the mouse you were clicking on. Even that didn't get as much discussion as this keyboard is getting.