Apple WWDC 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starscream600, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Apple just announced the new iOS 6 and Mac OS X Mountain Lion in the recent World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC). But still no iPhone 5. :(  Anyways, here's the features of iOS 6!

WWDC 2012: Apple gives user more control in iOS 6 - latimes.com

Discuss. :D 

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hate to say it, but this is not what I'd hoped for in iOS6. It sounds like cosmetic changes, but still no real functionality.

Where's my file manager? (and SD support, please)
    Where's the Flash player?
    Where's the Java? (no, not JavaScript, I mean Java)

I'll still upgrade my iPad to iOS 6 sooner or later, but it sounds like a needless upgrade to me. And a clock app is useless, even if iPhone and iPod Touch has had it for ages. It's not particularly useful.

Also, the main question:

Where's the Wifi Hotspot function for iPad? (Apple must be supporting MyWi or something)

I'll reserve judgment of whether or not I like iOS6 for when I see if it has access to wifi hotspot. Without it I don't see the improvements over iOS5.

*shuts up before mentioning how his Android tablet has all those features and more*

I'm intrigued by Mountain Lion, though. Lion was a step in the right direction, with an interface that blended well between Mac and iOS (something Microsoft has screwed up HORRIBLY with their stupid Metro interface), so I wonder how they could possibly make that better. I have some faith left in Mountain Lion, it's only been uphill since Snow Leopard. I just fail to see what else they could really add (aside from new 6-finger gestures or something else unneccessary like that), given Lion seemed pretty good overall.

3. Starscream600

Steve jobs said that apple would not add in flash support for iphones. Ever. But that would probably change since he's not around anymore.

Also, judging from your questions, I assume you're jailbroken. Am I rite?

4. Treadshot A1

Nope, not jail broken. My iPad is running only official Apple Software. I've seen people with jail broken devices, personally i never really understood what the point was. I only know about MyWi because my friends used to use it on their devices. I'm too cheap to ever buy such software. Not to start a flame-war, but I have hotspot functionality on other devices (non-Apple) which make MyWi redundant for me.

5. Starscream600

Well, just to let you know, the iPhone 4 and above has the hotspot functionality. And android has been ported to the iPhone too.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well at least I can still feel justified in having an iPhone 4S. Although I think in two years when the contract is up I'll see what Android is offering.

7. Treadshot A1

I know the iPhone has it (I see many of them and have touched upon them through family). I'm saddened the iPad doesn't have it.

I don't know what you mean by android being ported to iPhone, personally I wasn't trying to compare the two, so much as just being disappointed by iOS6.

EDIT: huh, so Jailbreaking can put android onto an iDevice. Kinda novel, but kinda pointless, I guess.

8. Starscream600

It means that the iPhone CAN run Android via a dual booting system just like bootcamp on the mac. Here's a link if you wanna read up on this. I tried to code Android for the iphone but it was too time consuming and I had to give it up.

Main Page - iDroid Project