Apple Media Event: iPad Announcement

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Lumpy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    anyone else excited to see what they show today? i know i am... i'm glued to engadget.com...

edit: "the last time there was this much excitement around a tablet, it has commandments written on it"

SWEET!

i woulda called it iSlate, but iPad works... and it looks pretty cool so far... can't wait to see more...

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    iPad sounds kinda .. femenine hygieney to me.

The whole "i" thing feels really played out to me. Whenever I hear "iMac", my first thought is of those neon colored monitor boxes from the early 2000's.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I generally don't get excited about Apple's media events.

I think they're tablet is an improvement, but will likely be like other tablets that have come before.
    I doubt lightning will strike twice.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i kinda am too, but it works well for marketing... and the new 27 inch iMac's are sick... i love them...

5. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    People say this iPad will be revolutionary.

10 inch screen? How about 11 inches, and you have a 2 GHZ+ Intel CPU (I think it's Dual Core...) with an NVIDIA Graphics card for hardcore game visual processing?

What I just described is the Alienware M11x. Look into that peeps. It's NEAR Netbook size, yet it's a gaming device!

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a very clever synthesis that has to do with the successes of smartphones and digital book readers. It's less about the raw computing power, and more about the utility and flexibilty of the form factor, the gesture inputs and its applications that are designed for mobility. Most importantly it has mass appeal, as opposed to the computing devices that you and I probably prefer.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

And being Alienware incredibly overpiced?

8. Lumpy

News Credits:
    wow, prices start at 499... for 16gb... that's pretty awesome...

bummed there's no forward facing camera for chatting, but still, this sounds great... and imagine the practical use at a restaurant or something... the waiter could take your order, and with a few taps they could remove or add items... that'd be sweet...

9. McBradders

Looks like a much better, smarter netbook. Will definitely be looking in to getting hold of one ASAP. The price is exactly right.

10. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I believe the MSRP is around 1000$, but I would understand why with so much horsepower in the device.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks cool, but I do think some sort of stylus support with handwriting recognition would be cool.

12. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    $699 for the 64MB and $130 for the 3G chip to pick up those networks. Looks like it'll only work on AT&T, just like iphones.

Bummer. Oh well, should have known by the name ipad - it's like Apple's in the menstruation business.

13. McBradders

Which the target consumer of this device has little to no interest in.

Great comparison or greatest comparison?

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm pretty underwhelmed, personally. It's basically a bigger, faster iPod Touch. That's cool, I guess. But I was really hoping for a modified "Mac" tablet interface, not a modified iPod interface. And for the price, you're not getting a whole lot of wiggle room when it comes to hdd space. If you're going to lug that around, why not spend the same amount of money for a laptop that will have more power, a bigger hdd and roughly the same (or slightly larger) size?

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    No. The iPhone will work on any GSM network, ask anyone who uses an unlocked one. All you need to do is replace the SIM card. And Apple said the iPad will come unlocked out of the box.

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    NO MULTI-TASKING!!

That breaks it for me...

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    that would be cool too, though i don't think apple will ever do a stylus... but they could make it react like the macbook trackpad and how you can import symbols that way... its mostly used for chinese, but i'm sure a one off program could be done to input as text...

yeah, i was thinking it'd run on the OSX operating system, but i still dig this... i just wish it had a camera, a front facing camera, and you could use that with ichat and that would be sick...

18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I'm not usually a person who is negative, but I really think the iPad will not go anywhere after the initial introduction. After the honeymoon, the husband will see just how atrocious his bride really is.

19. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with this completely. And in all honesty, I'd rather get a first gen ipod touch for way cheaper than this. Or, like Joe said, a faster laptop that I can customize and upgrade later on on my own if I wanted to.

I've learned with Apple products, never buy a new product right out of the gate. Next year they'll have an even better iPad that can do more and probably cost a bit less.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    On that, I disagree. As much as I'm not for it, I think the general public will eat it up. At CES, there were literally dozens upon dozens of awesome looking, very powerful, tablets. None of them got a second look. But once Apply threw their name at a tablet, the John Q public takes notice and eats it up.

And please, I hope people don't take that as a negative. Apple has a hell of a marketing department, and they know how to pimp their stuff so people take notice.