Apple fixes a big complaint about iTunes and iPods...Almost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think www.uninniovate.com is becoming one of my new favorite sites. iTunes 7.0 came out yesterday with a great new feature. You can now copy your music from your iPod back to your computer! As always, there's a catch. Only music you bought from iTunes can be copied back to a PC. Music and podcasts downloaded from other services (such as eMusic.com), ripped from CD's, etc. will not be able to be copied back. So Apple finally adds a featrure people have been dying for (like me) and then cripple it almost completely.

http://www.uninnovate.com/2006/09/12/apples-itunes-70-a-lesson-on-user-trust/

I don't buy music from iTunes. I rip my music from my CD collection and I do it mostly at work. I hate wasting CD's to just get this music back home easily, or having to copy it to the iPod as a file instead of as music.

2. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Someone will hack a way. There is always someone out there to hack a way through it.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Someone HAS hacked a way. Lots and lots of someones. There are many, many, many freeware and shareware methods of doing this that work fine. Hell, if you don't care about your ID3 tags you can do it just by enabling the iPod as a drive and dragging the files off of it. It would be nice if Apple could do it, but it is probably a concession they make to the RIAA and as long as there are third party methods out there, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can do this already for music on your iPod.

The files are hidden and can be coppied over to your computer then imported back into iTunes, ID3 tags and all.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Yeah, I've done this several times without any extra software.

However, the fact that Apple is STARTING to allow it is a step in the right direction. As they lose more market share to Creative, Dell, and other MP3 players, I expect we'll see them fold and support full sharing despite pressure from the record companies not to.