Customs: Apoxie Sculpt Tutorial

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by hthrun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Here's a simple tutorial on how to use Apoxie Sculpt. For details on the product itself, check out JinSaotome's post in the tutorial section. If you read this, Jin, thank you so much for posting that and letting us all know about this!

I ordered the white Apoxie Sculpt because I figured it would be the easiest for painting. It arrives in two containers, A and B:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of what I post here is covered in the instructions on the package. be sure to read them!!!

For this tutorial, I'm simply using the AS to strengthen some attachments on my RotF Hightower:

[​IMG]

I drilled holes to put the ball joints into and super glued them in place. However, I fear that the bond wouldn't be strong enough for these pieces. I want to use the AS to fill in the areas around the pegs and holes and make the areas solid.

First you need to mix equal parts A and B together. I usually use just a pinch of each, depending on how much I need:

[​IMG]

The A and B parts need to be kneaded together for at least two minutes:

[​IMG]

After two minutes of kneading, the compound should be one uniform color:

[​IMG]

The I just put a little bit where I need it on the toy:

[​IMG]

And I use a toothpick to smoothen it out and get it into all the areas I desire:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AS is usable for three hours and cures in 24 hours. When it's cured, it feels a lot like plastic. It's easy to shave. Unlike plastic, it shaves away in a brittle manner.

I've also used AS for my RotF leader Megatron elbow. When I get a chance, I'll take some pics and post in here what I did...

I hope this is useful!

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    fixit sculpt is MUCH better though. Sands better, dries faster, paint adheres better.

3. hthrun

Ebay:
    Where is it available at? Maybe I'll try it out after I use up my AS supply...

EDIT: Also, is it adhesive like AS?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I've used Aves before. Good stuff. However, I think my batch of 4 years has gone bad or something as it's not curing properly, despite mixing equal amounts for 2 minutes. It could be weather-related for me.

Other than that, it takes paint well and can be sanded, drilled, etc. to the user's liking. It also has a better and more lenient working time.

One thing to avoid is applying this stuff near model cement or any kind of super glue that hasn't fully dried yet. Doing so will interfere with the sculpt's curing process.

If you're just filling gaps, I'd use Mighty Putty. That stuff cures a lot faster, but can be sanded, drilled, etc. It also takes paint pretty well. Aves is definitely good if you're doing more than just plugging in some gaps, such as sculpting fine details. This is why the longer working time is more conducive to sculpting.

5. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

I tend to use QuikSteel for TF repairs, as it cures very quickly...it gets very warm-to-hot and hardens enough to handle in a few minutes, curing to a rock-like state. I can't say how well it responds to paint, though, as most of my uses of it have been internal, and it sets a dark gray color (though it's much lighter after sanding). So if you're bulking up joints or making repairs (particularly that you don't want to break again), I would recommend something like that due to the time savings. Mighty Putty, mentioned above, is a similar product, as both are tubular (whoa dude!) epoxy mixes. These, however, are not adhesive...for that you need liquid epoxy.

I've had some Fixit Sculpt squirreled away in the freezer for around six months (it has a 3-year shelf life), but I haven't used it yet for sculpting to see for myself how well it works. I need the proper tools before I really get into that area of customizing.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    it's also made by aves : FIXIT® Sculpt

not a fan at all of anything JB weld. Stuff tends to get brittle after time.

7. hthrun

Ebay:
    Oh, that's right. Jin discussed the different ones in his post. I think I went with the Apoxie Sculpt just because it was cheaper. But yeah, I might have to try the Fixit next time...