Apex/Powermaster armor for MP Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Has anyone heard if Tak/Has or one of the fan projects companies is going to be doing a Powermaster trailer for MP Prime to combine with? I love the G3 trailer and would love to see that kind of engineering go into a powermaster trailer for MP Prime.

And while we're on the subject of MP trailers, how much longer until someone actually goes through with a Magnus trailer? Even though the one that got cancelled didn't look all that good, it was something at least.

2. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you realize how big something like that would have to be?

The NON-TRANFORMING trailer from Justitoys is already $55.

Try imagining the engineering required to design a trailer that turns into armor, plus the materials that would cost to make it.

Too expensive and complicated.

People already whine about how the City Commander mold is too expensive, imagine the noise we'd here about a $300 trailer (if that).

"I'm not paying $300 for just a trailer!" x2342501324

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Oh hell that would be sweet! But, already mentioned, that would cost a friggen nut to buy! Wishful thinking.

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

And the transforming trailer from Igear coming out next year is $110. And I bet lots of people buy it. Just like lots of people bought the oversized transformable G1 trailer for MP Prime that came out a few years ago, and that thing was $120.

And like I said, based on the incredible engineering shown in the G3 Trailer, I don't see why someone couldn't design MP Apex armor.

And yeah, I know exactly how big it would be. And I LOVE IT. :) 

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    MP Prime is pretty top heavy to begin with. Adding on more armor to make him a Powermaster (which would be difficult, anyway, given that Powermaster Prime's transformation is radically different than MP or G1 Prime's) would be hellacious to design, or turn him into a gigantic brick.

It might be a fun idea for kitbashers to toy with, but I don't expect we'll see a version for sale.

6. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I think rather than having the cab fold up, they could just have parts added onto his arms and legs, very similar to what they've done with the Protector upgrade set for Classics/Henkei Rodimus. Having something simply attach onto the sides and bottoms of MP Prime's legs wouldn't make him any less stable. It would ensure his weight was still properly distributed.

And really, it wouldn't have to make him THAT much bigger. While I'd prefer as big as possible, they could design something that simply added 1 or 2 inches to his height instead. The key components would be the shoulder lasers, the head add-on, the extra windows on the side of the chest and the leg attachments. Not so impossible if you just drop the defeatist, negative attitude really. ;) 

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
  8. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

That's pretty cool. MP Prime looks kinda dull compared to that thing.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I figure an add-on armor set would be the only option. but then you end up with something more like City Commander than Powermaster Prime. The other big, important difference between the Protector set and what this would need to be is size, and weight.

MP Prime, with bigger parts on his legs or torso, would either be really bulky and really heavy, with limited posability, or so ungainly that he wouldn't even be able to stand up unsupported. Neither is a really attractive option, either a brick or a noodle, and thus, its hard to justify the kind of design expenditure to make one.

It might not be impossible, but I don't think it defeatist or negative to think it not worth the effort from an engineering and economic point of view.

But you're more than welcome to build one and prove me wrong. ;) 

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    sheesh how come nobody remembers mark's project's MP magnus trailer. everyone clamors over him for his animated omega supreme and all, but he was the first to make an working and accurate magnus trailer for mp prime mold and apparantly nobody knows this......they just know about the failed attempt of a trailer that got cancelled by that one group

http://www.marksprojects.com

11. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

He's selling them for $800 and $1300. No wonder no one remembers. ;) 

12. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow...only 1300 for a MP Magnus Trailer. It is cool and all...but damn.

13. OptionZero

News Credits:
    If it's anything like mark's Magnus, then an Apex Armor set for MP prime is better off not being made, because that magnus is frickin ugly

Only the naive mistake realism for "negativity."

Might some one be stupid enough to try? Sure. But that doesn't make it a good idea.

Hasbro will make a leader class animated Lugnut before anyone makes a masterpiece powermaster prime that is:

1) remotely affordable, even by custom standards
    2) worth that exorbitant price
    3) doesn't look like ass

Igear's trailer does not transform. It opens up into a base exactly the way the original's did.

That's a far cry from turning into armor that can support the weight of MP prime or break apart CC style.

14. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess what I love about these kind of threads, is people assuming they have ANY clue whatsoever about the costs of making and distributing transformers.
    For all any of us know hasbro could manufacture a apex armor and city commander set for MP Prime and Magnus for next to nothing and just charge us out the ass for it.
    Personally if Has/Tak came out with a trailer for magnus and or prime that became the armor for them at the same price point as a masterpiece figure itself I would be all over it.
    Wanna try to tell me that there is more engineering in making these trailers than in the figures themselves? Riight...

15. OptionZero

News Credits:
    Yeah, Hasbro has the capability of such a project. For the same reasons, however, they would have little incentive to do it.

You do not represent the mass market. Unless there is a compelling argument that Hasbro could profit from putting a MP-scale transforming trailer on Walmart/Target/TRU shelves, there is no possibility that Hasbro will bother with it.

The only people who would buy an MP trailer are the peope who have MP prime. Not everyone who has MP prime, however, would buy a trailer.

The market for an expensive "add-on", basically, is already capped.

Consider also that an MP trailer would come in at one of the highest price point slots (Leader or Supreme). Hasbro only releases a handful of toys that expensive every year, so blowing a slot on an MP trailer would mean one less ROTF/TF3/new TF series toy of such a size/price.

That is we aren't going to see Hasbro put out a sub-$100 MP trailer even though they have the engineering and production capability to do so.

That leaves the custom fanbase. Even the most proficient company, FansProject, sold the CC armor (far smaller) for $70. An MP transforming trailer with several times the size and materials would be $200 easily in even your enchanted world.

Given that FP has no such plans for MP-scale crap (they instead are focusing on Universe/Classics stuff), and you'd be further left with one of the other, smaller groups . . . who would charge even more.

So yeah.

keep holding out for MP Apex Armor/PM prime

16. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So...do you happen to have the numbers on hand of EXACTLY how many MP primes have sold? Or of that number how many of the buyers would jump at the chance for a Apex armor set?
    Or perhaps the % of hasbro's market that is adult collectors?
    Or maybe a phone number of the people that told you that there will never be a MP trailer/armor?

No...you don't have any of these things.

I'm not saying that a MP trailer will be made...only that people who spout off acting like they know what goes through Has/Tak's minds when considering what to release and what not to need to take a second and remember that they are not employees of Has/Tak and know NOTHING more than what Has/Tak has released to the general public.

I want a MP prime Apex armor and a MP UM armor way to much for it to ever happen.

Just please remember that until Has/Tak hires you to start making thier marketing decisions for them, you know nothing about what is going on, and are at best, guessing and at worst simply spouting off.
    In my enchanted world people talk about things they are informed about.
    Crazy right....:rolleyes: 

And yes...I would pay $200 for a MP Apex/UM trailer in a heartbeat.

17. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Sioce for the win. :bowdown: 

18. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Why sticking with 1 huge armor when it can be done by combining 2 mid-sized add-ons for the universe prime... {hint}