Minor/Repaint: AOE/TLK Slash (Featuring Grimlock and team "Sir Not Appearing in this film")

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by bruteslayer101, Sep 24, 2017.

1. bruteslayer101

bruteslayer101 Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    while I like how this guy turned out..... something went horribly wrong. I don't know what, but the sealant I used doesn't like rubbery plastic. And like a 3rd of this guy is rubbery plastic. So about a third of this figure feels like ductape. IMG_3419.JPG IMG_3420.JPG IMG_3421.JPG IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3449.JPG IMG_3450.JPG IMG_3811.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The rust effects are decent, but the visible base mold colors are somewhat distracting and take away from the overall piece.

For the rubbery bits, acrylics are my go-to's. Sprays will always make rubber parts tacky and they will almost never dry/cure completely. For a sealant, it'd be better to use floor polish than a spray, since the spray is essentially the same as spray paint.
    Best bet is to 91% alcohol the pieces to strip the paint and hit them with acrylics.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bruteslayer101

YouTube:
    I'll keep that in mind next time I deal with a figure with a lot of rubbery plastic :)  As for the exposed colors, the only metallic spray paint my local craft shop has is a bright silver which doesn't quite look right on the dinobots with the look I'm going for (Look at the Scorn) so I had to hand paint it.

4. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Krylon offers a lot of options and is readily available at Walmart. You could always use a good black or dark gray (or even actual burnt red primer) to prime the figure, which would eliminate the base color showing through.

5. bruteslayer101

YouTube:
    My Walmart sadly doesn't have any primer for figures. The craft shop has some, but I only discovered that AFTER I did my first few customs.

6. Yaujta

News Credits:
    The paint isn't specifically for figures. Check the actual paint section in hardware that has house paints and automotive stuff. Almost every Walmart I've been to has a big wall of nothing but spray paints from Krylon, Rustoleum and a few other brands, with price ranges from $4 to $7 for a big spraycan that will last quite a while.

7. bruteslayer101

YouTube:
    Oh those. I actually asked someone who worked in the paint section about those and he said don't use them on plastic so I never considered those

8. Yaujta

News Credits:
    They work on plastic. Some are even formulated specifically to bond with plastic (Krylon Fusion). Just read the labels.
    Also, allow the base coat to cure for a few days. That way the paint actually bonds to the plastic and makes added layers of detail work that much more durable.

9. bruteslayer101

YouTube:
    I need to redo my custom Stinger so I'll try that. Thanks!

10. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I dig those rust effects!

11. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    If you haven't got primer, you can use acrylics and use a slightly watered down grey, black or even white model acrylic paint (such as "Citadel" paints, for example). Use a base of this, wait for it to dry and then apply the colours you wish. Try using a range of brushes to get to all the nooks and crannies and don't go into any other stages of painting until each one looks neat/covered as you would like.

12. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    i like it