Anyone watch World Combat League?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funkatron101, Feb 19, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    As a Mixed Martial Arts fan I love to watch anything related to the sport I can. Yesterday I checked out the WCL. For those who are unfamiliar with it, it's a martial arts competition based on two teams competing with individual fights accumulating points.

I gave it a fair chance, but I have to be honest, there are way too many things that are flawed. When comparing it to UFC, and Pride, the WCL will always look amateur. Here are my observations.

1. They have enforced so many rules that it results in the referee becoming extremely subjective in allowing somethings, and not others.

Passivity: When two women fought, whenever one was dodging and looking for the right shot (which took maybe 3 seconds of time) the ref would dock them points for "passivity." When the guys fought, it was rarely enforced. I can understand why they made this rule, but it makes for very sloppy fighting and breaks up the action worse than the fighters being passive.

Clinch: Apparently it's not allowed, but I saw a lot of it. Without the clinch, most knee strikes are useless, something that is allowed.

2. Mandatory 8-second count for knockdowns. I hate the count rule in boxing, and I hate it here. WCL doesn't allow fights to go to the ground, so without this rule, many fights would end awkwardly, but this probably the biggest factor in deaths from fight sports. Many fighters suffer concussions due to these knockdowns. Just because the fighter can stand up, doesn't mean he is ok to fight. The sport already has its risks, this one seems to be unnecessary.

3. The "ring." No ropes, angled platform. Recipe for disaster.