Anyone watch "The Riches"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funkatron101, Mar 13, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Isn't it funny how FX can constantly produce shows that give you this uncomfortable, slightly guilty feeling?

I liked it. Eddie Izzard shines as always. I'll be tuning in next week.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Just DL'ed it, about to check it out. As much as I hate ol' Shovel-Face Driver, I'm assuming Izzard will make it worthwhile.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I was a little dissappointed as the commercials really made it look like a comedy series with some dramatic elements. Defiently the other way around.

It was still really good though. I'm totally hooked.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watched it.

I absolutely love Eddie Izzard. I also find it hard to tolerate Minnie Driver, but I had to watch it just for Eddie. Overall I enjoyed the show, and think I will continue to. Unfortunately Eddie's "American" accent felt a little forced at times. I feel it is something he will grow into with the role, but a little bit of a "whoa" factor right off the bat.

I can't wait to see how this one progresses.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I thought it was great. Very interesting concept. I'll be tuning in next week to see what happens.

6. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Enjoyed the first episode. Will watch it next week.

7. funkatron101

Ebay:
    That's funny, I didn't even notice him trying to do an American accent. I just assumed for the story that he moved to America from England many years ago. Kind of drifted along, and got tied up with that family.

The one element that I think most people will be iffy on is Minnie Driver. One thing is for sure, she needs to always wear makeup.

8. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I watched it, it was interesting, be curious to see how the next few episodes go though, like with Dirt, I watched the first few episodes but found the show a tad bit too stupid for my tastes.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The name, cast and TV Guide blurb make it sound like a pretty straight foward sitcom. I actually found it more than a bit unsettling, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get behind these characters. Otherwise, it was pretty well done.

However, I love Eddie, and that will give the series plenty of leeway.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It was pretty good, and I was quite surprised by the amount of drama and lack of comedy. A good setup and start, now if it can only continue.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Watched the whole episode.

I feel about the same compassionate hatred for Minnie Driver that Night Flame feels for Nikki/Jessica in Heroes. I could spend paragraphs articulating my dislike of her acting, her voice and her face, but I'll stick to this: I hate the broad and wish she had never gotten the urge to act.

...and...c'mon, Eddie. Either go full-out British accent or stop doing the pseudo-accent. I don't know WHAT type of accent it's supposed to be, it's just not as enjoyable as that gentlemanly natural accent he uses in his standup.

I'd really like to like this series - like, really really. I was hoping that anything with Eddie Izzard's name attached to it would just be hilarious outright. Guess not. :(  I'll have to tune in next week to see if it gets better, but...I dunno. Not sure even ol' Eddie can save me from wanting to chuck soda cans across the room at Driver's face.

13. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Well, for everyone bothered by Eddie's accent, or lack thereof, my family is from England. My parents moved to the US about 30 years ago and my dad has a very similar accent. He has lost the English accent enough to where my other family members from England notice, but not enough for the average American to think that he is from America.

If Eddie's character is supposed to be American, then I would say it's a blunder. If he came from England and has lived in the US for a while, then it is spot on.

14. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

I watched the show and enjoyed it. I had expected more comedy as well from the previews.

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

What's wrong with Minnie Driver? When she's all dressed up she's a pretty gal. She's not the best actress out there, but she does a good american accent and apparently a good southern accent as well.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I thought it was good. The upcoming episodes look even better than the pilot.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Saw it last night, hooray for Eddie, boo for Minnie. I'll probably keep watching for at least a few more episodes. Also, the daughter was hot.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I watched the first episode. I'm in the process of emailing FX, asking for that hour of my life back.

19. funkatron101

Ebay:
    :rolleyes2  It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is hardly worth that response, given how much crap on TV that is much worse.

20. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I looked forward to it just for Izzard as well, and I share the lack of enthusiasm over Minnie Driver, hilarious. Still, hearing it's more a drama has me less interested now. Not that I'm anti-drama or anything, I just simply prefer comedy if I'm going to watch a television show.